Constant Business Travelers' Whole30 Solutions

PetraBee

Hi All,

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone as I just joined the group. I have searched through the other threads but was unable to find the help I was looking for in regards to business travel. In particular, 100% business travel.

Like many of you, I am sure, I travel for work 50-100% of the time (3 to 6 days a week typically) and this is often back-to-back weeks with only the weekends at home. I rarely travel to the same place twice and my locations range across the country from large cities like LA to smaller cities that have not much more than a Walmart and fast food. My company always has me stay at Marriott and options with kitchenettes are available 25-50% of the time. My work days usually hover around 10 hours at the office so there is little time to do much more than go straight out to dinner with the rest of my onsite team before going to bed and starting the day all over again.

I am on day 6 of my Whole30 and realize I will not NEED to strictly follow this plan after my 30 days, but I would like to try to keep to it as best I can and only eat something outside of it maybe every other day or so at most as even though it has only been 6 days, I feel SOOO much better and would like to keep on this trend.

So the question is: What do you other busy business traveler's do to keep a clean and healthy diet on the road, especially in those areas where the options are few and far between.

Thank you!

Hi Chris,

Thank you. I did check both of those threads but was looking for a bit more on the subject. I am seriously bummed about Chipotle and Panera as they are generally the healthiest options I have for fast food around if I am so lucky as to have such chains around.

I should probably mention, I haven't found a way that I can manage to tolerate olives, plain avocado (guacamole is my only success here so far), or canned fish (unless I cook them in a patty or something to cut the fishy taste).

Given this, I am struggling with business travel.

Maybe you end up with a modified Whole30. You eat Whole30 style, the best you can, most of the time. That could look like no obvious alcohol, sugar, dairy, legumes and grains. If you're at a restaurant and there ends up being sugar in the dressing or wine in a sauce, so be it.

Treat it as an exercise in making conscious, nourishing choices when eating while traveling.

My 2 cents ...

I travel for business quite a bit although not as much as you do. Even one or two days per week every-other week can be quite challenging. I would encourage you to try to get 30 fully and strictly compliant days, because that, along with reintros will tell you a lot about how you tolerate different foods.

Once you are done with 30 days, relaxing like Chris suggests makes sense too. That's essentially what I do, and it works pretty well (although not as well as eating strictly whole30 or cooking my own meals).

Can you tolerate canned chicken? That might be a portable protein option for you. Hardboiled eggs should also be readily available at most grocery stores or even gas stations. There are a few brands of guacamole that make compliant individual serving-sized cups so you can try that for fat. Olive oil over a salad (or mixed into a bowl of protein and veg) are good options too. Toss the bottle into a giant ziploc for insurance against leaks and then make sure it's padded in your luggage. It'll keep just fine at room temperature. If you have a microwave in your hotel room, you can nuke sweet potatoes or check out local grocery stores for a bag of veggies that can steam in its own bag in the microwave.

For shorter trips, it's possible to prep food at home and keep it in a cooler. You should easily be able to keep things fresh for 3 days as long as you keep the ice replenished. If you have a mini fridge in your hotel then the issue is moot. For longer trips, you can still start out with a cooler and eat off of that for the first three days and then replenish with whatever you're able to find near you.

Thanks for the on-the-go food travel ideas.

What about food chains? Are there any restaurant chains you have found to be more Whole30 friendly than others? My work does cover restaurant receipts but will not reimburse grocery receipts (ppl have been fired over this) so I would like to try to stick to restuarants if I can.

What about food chains? Are there any restaurant chains you have found to be more Whole30 friendly than others? My work does cover restaurant receipts but will not reimburse grocery receipts (ppl have been fired over this) so I would like to try to stick to restuarants if I can.

Chains are tricky. Your best bet is places that cook to order, have gluten-free options, and/or allergen information on their website that you can review ahead of time. Many chains use soybean oil or other non-compliant oils in cooking, so that would be a biggie to watch out for.

You might find this information helpful as well:

http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Archived