WOO HOO! I did it! How are you doing? :-))))

meredithm1

Finished Whole30 yesterday, 6.5 pounds down. It looks more impressive in person than it sounds here - my body has changed, and is shifting back toward its former shape. More striking than the ancillary weight loss is the fact that I don't get out of bed liked the rusted-out tin man anymore. My joints feel much better, and I don't have that bloating, swelling and overall pain I've lived with for years. Well, not as much, anyway, and it's really a noticeable difference. We'll gorge on sushi tonight (and maybe a little chocolate and a glass of wine) but I'm happy enough with the results to keep going. I never feel hungry, and it's not hard to comply with the limits since we eat fairly simple clean meals at home. I probably won't be as fanatically compliant as you have to be during the 30, but I'll stick close to the guidelines. There are all kinds of great recipes to try if I get bored, but in the meantime, I'm happy with the food version of a school uniform, and can eat the same stuff day after day. As long as I eat in time, I don't suffer much from boredom or cravings. This is really about long- and short-term health for me, and it's working.  How about you? 

Well, I'm back in the saddle tomorrow.  I finished my Whole 30 just in time for V-Day and "treated" myself to sushi, sparkling wine and chocolatey deserts.  yuck.  I'm crampy, bloaty, farty, headachy, and nauseated.  And tired.  I reallllly don't miss my old way of eating.  Oh, and my teeth hurt and my acid reflux has kicked in.  I can't wait to get back to my clean Whole30 plan tomorrow.  I guess I'll be compliant till my vacation in exactly two weeks, and even then I'll do my best to stay clean.  I can't stress enough what a difference it makes. 

Ok, so this morning I'm back on plan - Day 1 of post Whole30 goodness.  Yesterday was instructive - I don't want to feel that bad again, and I think I'm slowly but surely being cured of the cravings long-term.  It's hard to enoy something you know will make you feel horrible.  This morning the mirror reflected my sushi, etc, bloat back at me, which was no fun either.  Breakfast was my standard WHole30 - poached egg (usually 2, but we ran out), portion of sweet potato, 1/2 grapefruit and coffee.  Yesterday I started putting almond milk in my coffee again, but today may be the last time I do that.  It didn't add enough to justify it.  Maybe eventually (sooner than later) I'll cut out the coffee too.  It'll be interesting to see how my body reacts.  I only started drinking it about 3 years ago, in reaction to sleeping aids I had to take for insomnia.  I no longer have to take the sleep aids, so maybe the coffee is next.  The food was getting a little boring though, so I may have to actually dig up some of those amazing recipes everyone keeps discussing.  If you're reading this, can you share one (or some) of your faves?  Thanks for listening...:-)

I highly recommend the blogs theclothesmakethegirl (Melissa Joulwan) and nomnompaleo (Michele Tam). I have bookmarked favorites from each of their sites. Melissa Joulwan's cookbooks are Well Fed and Well Fed 2. I cook out of both of these. Many people adore Michele Tam's cookbook Food for Humans.  Have fun and eat up! I'm almost 50 myself and really enjoying feeling good again after fighting off the sugar highs/crashes for decades. It's grand, ain't it?

Amy, thanks!  Yes, I made something of hers, a curry, I think, and it was delicious.  I also like Nom Nom Paleo, but am not a natural cook, so I have to force it, lol.

Cabindowntheroad, exactly!  Thank you - you expressed my feelings perfectly.  I tried it, and it doesn't work for me.  Can't say I'll be on track for the rest of my life, but now I can no longer blame how I feel on ignorance...;-)

Archived