Whole30 during Pregnancy stigma...

I just touched on this briefly in another thread but while I got a bit of grief doing 2 whole30's while breastfeeding, I'm getting so much more now that I'm doing one pregnant! I feel like since there's a baby involved people feel so much more entitled to tell me what they think. It's really frustrating because I feel really great eating this way and I think it's completely wonderful and nourishing for my baby, but I hesitate to tell people when I have to refrain from eating something they've offered...  

It seems like no matter how many positive things I say- "I eat so many more vegetables than I would normally eat!", "I eat lots of healthy fats!", "I never restrict how much I eat!", people are still quick to judge. I don't know how to deal with this. I wish there wasn't so much misleading information out there about healthy grains and beans being some kind of super food. 

It was such a fantastic relief when I explained to a new (also pregnant) friend what I was doing and she was genuinely interested and excited to hear about it, but that is definitely not the norm (and I'd rather not talk about it all, but sometimes it's unavoidable.)

Especially dreading visiting family this spring because we have to stay with them so my eating habits feel like an imposition (by refusing what they've cooked if it's not compliant and needing to make my own meals...). 

Anyways, anyone have any witty/convincing/brilliant ideas or things to say in these situations? I think sometimes in these situations people are forced to look honestly at their own eating habits which makes them defensive and negative about this healthy way of eating.

Abbyn, how unfortunaty to hear you are getting such comments :/

Don't know if I have any witty ideas, but I can tell you what I've done. When refusing grains, dairy and legumes, I usually say it gives me problems with my stomach/digestive issues. If they ask for more details, I mention things like diarrhea, gas, bloating and that's where the conversations stops at the latest :D This is true for me and I avoid gluten-grains and dairy outside my Whole30 aswell, so I don't really have to explain myself to people I know, so it gets easier in that sense.

As for sugar, I say I'm doing a 30-day sugar free challenge. People usually agree avoiding sugar is a good thing and calling it a 30-day challenge doesn't make it sound too restrictive. Outside of the Whole30 I'm not super strict about sugar when I'm eating out or as a guest.

In principal I try not to make people feel like they should compare their eating habits to mine. But of course if people seem interested and willing to hear about paleo or the Whole30 challenge I'm more happy to tell them about it and how well it has worked for me personally. But for more distant acquiantances I have found it easier just not to bring it up, coz well you guessed it: I shouldn't be depriving my growing baby "healthy whole grains" and "nutritious low fat dairy" or what ever...

Thanks for your input, it definitely seems like a good idea to focus on the avoiding sugar part as that seems much more socially acceptable. I think I need to be more assertive and lighten up about what people think about me. Haha.

Ok I *just* realized, whole30 really isn't all that different than how you're told to eat if you have gestational diabetes! I can safely say the way I eat aligns pretty well with the guidelines in this article:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_what-type-of-pregnancy-diet-should-i-follow-if-i-have-gestat_3128.bc

HA! I feel so prepared to argue my case a little more convincingly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I *just* realized, whole30 really isn't all that different than how you're told to eat if you have gestational diabetes! I can safely say the way I eat aligns pretty well with the guidelines in this article:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_what-type-of-pregnancy-diet-should-i-follow-if-i-have-gestat_3128.bc

HA! I feel so prepared to argue my case a little more convincingly. 

Good to know!  I may have to use that as well in the coming months. 

• 1 month later...

Told my husband today that I'm back on whole 30/paleo after completely off roading for the last 3 months. His response? "Are you sure it's Ok to give up sugar? Doesn't the baby need it?" Argh. I told him I'd get plenty from fruit. I think being in a sugar coma every afternoon is a lot worse for baby than giving sugar up. Still amazed at how addictive it is and how destructive it is.

• 3 months later...

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and gearing up to do my first Whole 30. I've been pretty worried about what people might think, but so far everyone I've told has been pretty supportive! I was thrilled that my midwife gave me the green light today; in fact, her exact words were "I am a huge fan of the whole 30 and think that it is safe during pregnancy." Now I just need to plan out all my meals and figure out how to do this! I'm glad to have this forum for support, I know this is going to be tough - especially the sugar bit, as I'm pretty severely addicted. I already avoid dairy, and I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy, so I guess if I need to I can use GD as my excuse again ;) even though I haven't been diagnosed with it this pregnancy...

• 3 weeks later...

I am 22 weeks and just had a visit with my MD. I did a whole 30 fall of 2014 and felt so good that I continued with the whole 30 principles (not strict) until finding out I was pregnant in March 2015. Since then because of food aversions and pregnancy symptoms I haven't been following it. Guess what? My shoulders and knees are so inflamed like they were before my whole 30 that I can't sleep. I asked my OB if I could go back to eating like on a whole 30 and she said absolutely not. Her concern is not with me, but with the baby not getting exposed and possibly wind up with food allergies, celiacs, or lactose intolerance. Bummer.... I think I'm just going to cut down a little on grains ( which is what I've found to trigger the biggest inflammatory response out of all the groups avoided in whole 30) but not completely. And side note.... My doctor is verrrry liberal with recommendations during pregnancy so this surprised me

@katy0612 - how much do you like your OB? Just kidding, kind of... I would never suggest to go against medical advice but I think it's always important to remember as a patient that you are a consumer and can shop around till you find a provider you like. Like mandy_moo said above, my midwife also encouraged me when I did a few weeks of whole30 while I was pregnant. I think a lot of mainstream OB's don't look much further than the typical S.A.D. pregnancy recommendations (Skim milk! Whole Grain Cereal! Orange juice with calcium!).

I think it's worth getting a second opinion, especially since you are experiencing so much inflammation. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks! I actually love my OB. She's typically very modern with her thinking and relaxed. For example I was told I could eat Deli meat and runny eggs whenever I wanted as long as it wasn't every day. I work in health care and can see her side too. I think I'm going to half heartedly follow whole 30 guidelines...cutting down on inflammatory foods but not cutting them out has to be better than doing nothing!

@katy06 - Celiac's is a genetic disorder, so not eating wheat won't cause your baby to have it. I know because I have Celiac's and the genetic markers were a big part in finally getting a diagnosis since I started having symptoms after my Whole 30 and wasn't about to eat enough gluten to get the positive blood test based on how it made me feel.

This bugs me a lot, if you are lactose intolerant she wouldn't tell you to eat dairy just on the off chance that your child might be and just deal with the diarrhea? You have a legitimate response to certain foods that may be causing issues for your baby so why is she telling you to continue to eat things that make your body freak out?

If grains are triggering you that badly, cut them out if you can. Minimize if you can't completely cut them out (I'm 14 weeks so I get not being able to cut them out completely). Intentionally eating foods that make you have inflammation is a bad idea because your immune system is already confused enough with the baby. The Whole 30 way of eating is pretty close to the recommendations for gestational diabetes so I don't see why it would be a huge deal...

That's kind of what I've been thinking. My thought is my inflammation which has been chronic for over 10 years in my shoulders is now a combo of what I'm eating and the extra fluid from being pregnant. Thanks for the input!

Why don't you read through all of Melissa's older posts and see what she did for a comparison.  My mother,  I blame her for all of my health problems...ate a multitude of multi-crap with me.  I'm the one with blood sugar/metabolism and other various probs.   She ate things like cinnamon rolls and just junk.  She was young but I've suffered because of it.   With my other siblings, she did much better.   More protein, vegetables and fruits.   They don't have the issues I do.   I attribute all of it to my mother and what she ate.

Your baby is what you're eating and I think it's so important.  My mom ate grains galore.  It didn't help me one iota.   My other sibs do not have allergies and they have wonderful teeth.   Read through Melissa's posts and research further.   There is a better way and your children will thank you waaaay down the road.

The interesting part is that what my mother ate with them - are the things they crave and want to eat.   With me...grains, multi-crap and sugar?   T2 was my prognostication.  I'm working on a bunch of sugar avoidance now.  Ooo,  she started drinking coffee, too.   It's taken me years to give it up.  Yep,   what she ate was the culprit.  The smoking gun/sugar carb dragon.  Thanks, Maw.

“Genetics loads the gun, but environment pulls the trigger.” 
― 
Melissa HartwigIt Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways

Archived