Hunger without true hunger pains?

Hey guys,

This is kinda random and sorry if it's not in the right thread. Feel free to guide me elsewhere!

All my live I've been a grazer, always munching on something here and there. I quickly nipped that in the bud with whole30, yay! But my question is that I never actually feel hunger pains (like in my stomach). I mean ok, once in a while, but it takes a LOT of time without eating for me to start to feel hungry. Butttttt, I get hangry. Wow, and when it happens, it's too late and I need food fast.

So my question is, what other physical cues can I try to hone in on that speak hunger, before I actually get hangry? 

Thank you!

• Moderators

You may need to live a Whole30-lifestyle eating 3 well-composed meals per day spaced 4-5 hours apart for a while before your hormonal rhythms normalize and you get clear, useful hunger cues. How long have you been eating real meals and not grazing?

• Administrators

Growling hunger signal is only one signal from your body that food is needed.  Feeling fatigued, cold, shaky, cranky or anxious are also signs that you need to eat.  You needn't wait until your stomach is actually growling.  :)

The next time you get "hangry", quickly think back to what the feelings were right before the blast-off.  Were you unsettled? Yawning? Sad for no reason? Fuzzy in the head?  Thinking about food? (for me if I am all of a sudden craving a coffee with coconut milk in the middle of the day, it's usually a good sign that I need to sit down and eat some food and recharge for a few minutes).

The signs are sometimes pretty subtle until you cue in to them and then they are obvious as the writing on the wall.

I've figured out that for me, the tummy growling is more a sign of a sugar crash than of actual hunger. So it has helped me to retrain myself to understand true hunger cues - mentally getting unfocused, emotionally upset, sort of reaching for something but not knowing what it is - that's hungry. Growling tummy for me usually means a sugar crash. Since I eat Whole30 most of the time these days, I rarely have a growling tummy, except on my busiest, most stressful days. (I feed it a hard boiled egg on the go, and carry on until the next meal.)

Archived