I have been planning to do this for a while, now, but kept putting it off for one reason or another. I must get my old, out of shape body back under control, though, and NOW is the time!

My daughter is getting married in June, and I don't want to be a matronly-looking mother of the bride - that has never been my style. My goal is to lose 15-20 pounds before then and also become stronger and healthier.

Now, if I can just figure out how to add photos to posts, I would be so happy! :-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Now, if I can just figure out how to add photos to posts, I would be so happy! :-)

If your pictures are online somewhere already, like Flickr or photobucket or google pics or any of the other photo sites, click the little box that looks like a picture and you'll get a pop up to paste the URL of the photo.

If the pics are only on your computer, you can attach them as files, I think. I don't usually do that option.

Day 1 (Yesterday, Feb. 15)

Breakfast: fried egg, bacon, leftover kale and roasted potatoes YUMMY!

post-5395-0-32039800-1424114676_thumb.jp

Lunch: chicken soup (just broth with some tomatoes and green onions, really), small blood orange

Dinner: grilled pork chop, sauteed spinach, roasted tomato soup (recipe)

Day 2 (Feb. 16)

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, bacon, leftover kale, tomato soup, bulletproof coffee (made with ghee)

post-5395-0-98124900-1424115591_thumb.jp

Dinner: chicken stir fried with bok choy, celery, carrot, green onions, and coconut aminos; roasted sweet potato rounds sprinkled with salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.

Snacks: prosciutto chips, handful of raw cashews, raw carrot, couple green olives

Notes: I know I should eat lunch, but sometimes I eat breakfast so late, there is no time to fit lunch in before dinner (Hubs likes to eat dinner at 6:00). As I progress and get healthier (and start sleeping better...), I may start waking up earlier and eating breakfast at a normal breakfast time.

I'm trying to figure out how to add pictures from Shoebox so they will be more than thumbnails. I wish this site had a mobile app so I could just do it all on my phone!

I found myself snacking a lot today - I need to work on not doing that. But, for now, at least I am sticking with the allowed foods! (Maybe I'm in the "eat all the food" phase already, lol)

My back didn't hurt today for the first time in a looooong time! Yay! (not sure if it is a coincidence or not)

It'll get better.

I'm on day 19 today. The first week I could barely get down 1 egg and a few bites of yams or avocado in the morning. This morning I got up and made myself 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, a bunch of asparagus, bulletproof coffee and a small bowl of fruit with coconut milk. I enjoyed every bite!

Thanks for the encouragement Poppi!

Day 3 Feb. 17

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs; bacon; sauteed artichoke hearts, kale & tomatoes; coffee with ghee & coconut milk (blended)

Lunch: tuna; salad with lettuce, black olives & oil & vinegar; carrot; apple with cinnamon; mug of chicken broth

Dinner: roast beef with onions & mushrooms; roasted Brussels sprouts; butternut squash soup

Snacks: raisins, macadamia nuts

Slept much better last night!

Day 4 (Feb 18)

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, bacon, spinach, blood orange

Lunch: Cup of chicken broth, leftover beef & mushrooms, sweet potato rounds, small salad, hot tea with coconut milk

Dinner: baked halibut, green beans, roasted potatoes, butternut squash soup

Took a nap this afternoon. Longer than it should have been, but it was so delicious!  :)

Day 5 (Feb. 19)

I woke up this morning and REALLY didn't want to get out of bed and eat eggs again. :( If there was the promise of french toast, or sweet rolls, or even toast and jelly I would have been up in a flash! ... but eggs again... sigh...

I had a headache too, which I have had for the past 3 days, so that didn't help. Upset stomach last night and this morning. Cup of chicken broth first thing helped with that.

Reading other people's posts to see how they do this I realize I should come up with a color scheme instead of being totally random. I'm a perfectionist with bursts of random - strange combo.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, bacon, leftover green beans w/green onions, cup of chicken broth, coffee with coconut milk (I make my own coconut milk from dry coconut - it is so much better than the canned stuff and less expensive, too)

Afternoon snack (missed lunch - was out shopping): Larabar (apple pie), cashews

Dinner: Sweet potato chili,cauli-rice, celery salad

Think of your meals as meal 1, 2 and 3 in order to help you lose the association of breakfast with what you used to eat. It becomes easier. You can eat your chili leftovers for meal 1 for instance. I add ghee to my scrambled eggs, cook them on low heat, and don't overcook them. They taste so much better like that. And add salt at the end, when they are done.

My daughter is getting married on June 3 of this year... We both will be lovely mothers-of-the-bride :)

My daughter is getting married on June 3 of this year... We both will be lovely mothers-of-the-bride :)

How exciting Hutlifr! My daughter's wedding will be on the 12th. I see you live in Switzerland - we have friends in Horgen. We are planning a visit in September - it will be our first time to Switzerland!

Thanks for the eggs advice - I didn't know that about the salt. I'll have to try it.

Day 6 (Feb 20)

Slept okay last night. Didn't want to get up this morning - woke up depressed. Winter is not my favorite season, plus I think I am still having side effects from giving up Celexa (anti-depressant) after having taken it for 10 years. Started tapering down in December and took my last dose of .5 mg every other day about 2 weeks ago. Doctors tell you it is not habit forming, but there are a lot of people online that attest to the fact that the habit is very hard to break! Before Whole30 I was self-medicating with alcohol.

M1: ( ;) I'm learning!) leftover chili, kimchi (I decided I need to start trying to eat more fermented veggies)

M2: Stir fried leftovers (fish, celery salad, cauli-rice) plus mushrooms, kimchi, and bok choy; chicken broth; blood orange

M3: onion soup, grilled chicken breast, roasted broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower

Horgan is a nice little town on the shore of Lake Zurich. And September is the best month to travel in Europe, all kids are back in school (except for Spain), and the days are still long enough to go places and be back before it's pitch black.

If you add salt to eggs it makes them watery, and changes the texture :)

I almost slipped. :o

It's nearly 2 am and I can't sleep. I decided I would have some whiskey and start over tomorrow. Then I realized I had no booze left in the house - I made sure I was out before I started the diet. Lucky for me, I guess. (I have mixed feelings about this right now. Tomorrow I'm sure I'll be glad!)

16597092951_183d65704a_n.jpgw30 meme by Holly&Sage, on Flickr

Day 7 (woo hoo!!) Feb. 21

What a night! I don't know why, but I COULD NOT go to sleep last night! I didn't have any caffeine yesterday except a cup of weak tea right after lunch (around 1:00), but I just couldn't fall asleep. I had a stomach ache and a lot of gas, too. That may have been from too much fermented veggies too suddenly (I've gotten out of the habit of eating them lately - in my GAPS days I was having something fermented at every meal, but that fell by the wayside 6 months or so ago.)

I finally went to sleep sometime around 4 and still had to get up to go to the bathroom multiple times after that before I got up at 10. That's another thing - I think I must've been to the bathroom 8 or 9 times between the time I went to bed and the time I fell asleep last night. And here I was posting yesterday that my sleep had improved already. Spoke too soon, I guess. :wacko: (sorry for the long ramble!)

My stomach is still not completely settled. It is noon and I haven't eaten - not sure when I will. I am having a cup of chicken broth.

M1: (brunch?) BLT lettuce wrap, decaf tea with coconut milk

M2: (dinner) broiled salmon with guacamole, steamed broccoli, chicken broth, 1/2 bosc pear

snacks: cashews

Day 8 (Feb. 22)

M1: 1 scrambled egg, leftover chicken breast, guacamole

M2: leftover salmon, guacamole, a few walnuts, 2 large green olives, blueberries

M3: leftover sweet potato chili, spinach, celery sticks

I didn't eat enough veggies today. Oh, well. Tomorrow's another day!

I eat a lot of leftovers because I'm doing the diet alone. My husband eats the opposite of Whole30 fare - hot dogs, pizza, frozen coconut shrimp, sandwiches of all sorts, diet soda... (he hates most vegetables). I don't see him every giving up his bread. :mellow:

Went for a walk - I haven't been getting any exercise because it has been so nasty outside. Felt good to move. :rolleyes:

Day 9 (Feb. 23)

M1: fried egg, bacon, leftover roasted veggies & chicken, blood orange

M2: sweet potato hash with chicken (grated/shredded sweet potato fried in a coconut oil and bacon grease with a little onion, chili powder, salt and paprika - as suggested by ultrarunnergirl in the Veggies for Breakfast thread - YUM YUM!!), raisins

M3:

I'm eating too much fruit. I just started reading this article http://whole30.com/2011/12/you-get-what-you-pay-for/ and I realize I am doing myself a disservice. <_< I just seem to have such a voracious appetite for carbs lately!

I wonder if I should just say, 'screw it', have a glass of wine and start over tomorrow. (Or March 1st...) I like to do my best or start over - that is how I always practiced the piano - if I made a mistake, I didn't just correct it and keep on going, I would start over and do the whole thing right. :unsure:

Day 1 (Feb. 24)

I was on day 9 yesterday, and decided I needed to start over because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted and felt like I had been snacking too much. I really want to do this right! So, it wasn't so much a matter of cheating (although I did go off plan last night - you know, I had to make it real ;) ) as it is a desire to do better.

One of the changes I resolve to make this time is to get up earlier and have breakfast by 9:00 (I wasn't eating until 10 or 11 most days before). I did that today - was out of bed by 8:00 and actually finished breakfast by 9:00! It was a lovely meal, and I really enjoyed it, but now I feel grumpy and resentful and just want to go back to bed. I am fighting the urge. I will update my goals and list the things I mean to do differently this time later. (When I'm feeling more social and less like biting someone's head off. Tomorrow, perhaps.)

Food

M1: leftover salmon, guacamole, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and sweet potato, black coffee

M2: small baked potato topped with leftover spaghetti sauce, green salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing

M3: leftover chicken, sauteed cabbage and green beans

snack: blueberries, cashews

Later: Alright, time to get your Army boots on (as my husband would say) and stop moping around. This diet is about feeling good and making positive changes. Just because it's gloomy and gray out doesn't mean you have to crawl in a hole and hibernate. You can do this! DO IT!!!

Exercise: none

Mood: blah (gray and cold outside; my resolve to get things done has gone. I am sticking with the diet, though, and that is enough for today. Or so I'm telling myself. Tomorrow is another day!)

Went off plan - will be back tomorrow at Day 1 redo :o

Where did my self-control go? I used to have so much more.

I don't think this is about self-control or willpower.   That's dieting talk.  Both of those will only get you so far.

This is about a change of heart.   We can motivate the head every day, but the head can change its' mind within a micro second.  It's similar to speaking positive affirmations out every day over one's self.   They will motivate the head but it's about a change of heart.

We can speak affirmations out until we're blue in the face but the minute we hit certain aisles in the grocery store - our old favorite haunts, all of our senses start firing on all cylinders.   The response can be automatic pilot mode.  If we've been snacking since early childhood, our brains are hardwired to go for the snack.   It takes longer than a couple of weeks to build new neural pathways in the brain.   It might take weeks and months.

The hardwiring in the brain can be so strong that it will look for SWYPO's or adopt new food groups to appease the cravings.   Since the brain is in charge - it throws a fit and says if that's the way you want it....alrighty then, I'll just get myself some new food groups to get my snacking fix in.  I'll show ya,  I'll use compliant foods and make 4 new food groups to replace  Proteins, Vegetables,  Fats and Fruits.    Nut Butters,  Dried Fruits, Nuts and Fruits will get the job done....my new 4 basic food groups.  Seeee, you messed with me but I'm not letting you go that easy.

The battlefield is in the mind and the mind can throw you under the bus.   Positive thinking is good and using our imagination and creativity works, too.   That battle may rage on meal by meal, day by day and mile by mile.

For many people, it takes a health scare to really have a change of heart.  It shouldn't but that's human nature.  If the AIP or Diabetes knocks on your door, that scare can knock the mind right off of its' high horse.   The heart, your innermost being has a will to live and our survival instinct kicks in.   The heart says, step aside mind because the BIG DOG is coming through.   I'm in charge now and you have to shut up.  I'll not listen to you anymore, you've led me astray for too long now.   

When you get to this point, all the tricks and trappings of the mind start to quiet down.   The heart begins to speak and your true self can step to the front of the stage.

Every fiber of your mind does not want you to give up sugar or falling back into bowls of pasta and bread.   The mind will scream but your heart knows that death from lack of Cheetos is highly unlikely....so YAY YOU!   The heart begins to WIN.   

After weeks and months, the mind is no longer telling you to go through the drive-thru and gorge on  crappola.  It starts to behave.   When we let the heart break these cycles of thrill eating and binge fests, the mind pouts.   The heart knows that if it doesn't stand it's ground, really STAND YOUR GROUND.....that another binge or thrill eating bender will only put us deeper in the hole.    

This is why it's so worth it to keep breaking these cycles, the heart...your innermost being will right your ship every time.    It is strong and it carries the will to live your very best life.

You know what they say, when you fall off the horse, get right back on! Think about the wedding... Your trip to Switzerland....

I love to read about French Secrets.   Everything over here is about French Secrets....the way you dress, eat, and enjoy life.  

The French, Swiss and Italians.....Sweden, Norway, Finland seem to have it all sewed up and figured out where food is concerned.

Hutlifr, why are we all crazy pants over some foods?   Give us your insight.   I'll run after your car and lick your tires.  :D 

Archived