• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meadow lily, We are equally crazy about food here, even crazier! Where else do you sit down for lunch at 12 on a Sunday with family, and won't get back up til 6 pm? Unless you need a potty break of course to make more room! It's like a Thanksgiving feast with the folkaronis! Over here, Butter was never treated like the enemy, neither was red meat, or dessert. We have been cooking from scratch since the dark ages, it's a tradition, it's an art, and we do it with all the love we have with ingredients we know. Frankenfoods have made it to the shelves though, and the younger generation loves that crap with all kind of additives that gets them hooked! Just give it a generation, and the youth will go down that same dark path. It starts with food....

Hutlifr, you live in the land of beautiful food and good animal husbandry.   I'm sad to hear our processed nonsense is making it into your markets. Your Sunday dinners won't be the same with Stove Top Stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, instant brown gravy mix,  macaroni and cheese with the neon orange powder, frozen pizza,frozen fish sticks or nuggets,  frozen french breadrofl3.gif,instant pudding, frozen cheesecake or our version of yogurt.  Every yogurt on our shelves is loaded to the gills with sugar.  I suppose you have 100 flavors of our best ice cream.  All of it is washed down with a nice diet soda.  toast.gif      Ain't it great? soapbox.gif

Holly, glad we could pay you a visit.  Keep going. yes.gif

Day 2 (Feb. 25)

Food

M1: fried egg; bacon; leftover chicken, green beans, and cabbage; 2 banana bites (Banana bites are 1-inch chunks of banana that I roll in chopped macadamia nuts and freeze - they make a nice 'little something' to have at the end of a meal. I rarely eat a whole banana - 2 bites is just enough!)

M2: the last of my leftover salmon and grilled chicken (the chicken was getting pretty dry so I mixed it with a little homemade mayo and a smidge of curry powder); broccoli soup; 1/2 Bubbie"s pickle

M3: slow-cooker pork roast; sweet potato hash; sauteed spinach

afternoon snack while out running errands, etc: apple; almonds

Exercise: a little light (5 lb.) weight lifting

Drank some caffeinated coffee this morning (only 1/2 a cup) and WOW did it give me a boost! I usually drink decaf because caffeine really effects me and also I battle insomnia, but I felt droopy this morning after breakfast so I made a cup of my son's regular. I don't want to develop a caffeine addiction, but this might be the pick-me-up I've been needing lately. Just until the promised energy kicks in. :)

Hi Hollylu,

Good for you for starting over. You can do this.

I'm on Day 28 of my first Whole 30 and if I can share some recent experience:

- the first (almost) 2 weeks, that's all I did was sleep. Now I have tons of energy every day all day.

- starting in the second week I had severe bloating and abdominal pain after eating. I added a very high quality probiotic with my dinner AND starting taking a variation on Dr. Axe's Secret Detox drink (omit the stevia, add some fruit if you need to). Another secret: blend it with ice in the Magic Bullet. Yum! This is a great elixer to start your day.

http://draxe.com/secret-detox-drink-transform-your-kitchen-episode-36/

- instead of doing separate meals for Hubby, offer him variations on what you're eating. For example, I made a turkey chili and then took 1/2 and put it into a new pot to which I added beans for him. I baked some biscuits to go with it, he was happy. If I make burgers for dinner, he has a bun, I don't. It's easy and I'm not tempted by him eating pizza while I munch on kale.

Last note: TN / NC - we've been sharing the same weather, except you get it about 8 hours later. Spring is coming. I saw my first robin on Monday and I heard the birds singing this morning. It's 22F.

Last note: TN / NC - we've been sharing the same weather, except you get it about 8 hours later. Spring is coming. I saw my first robin on Monday and I heard the birds singing this morning. It's 22F.

Yeah - We had 4 inches of snow last night and it's supposed to be high 60s by the middle of next week. We live in the land of crazy weather, I guess!

Ha!

Day 3 (Feb. 26)

Food

M1: leftover pork roast and sweet potato hash heated together; leftover broccoli soup; black coffee

M2: scallops; tiny baked potato topped with meat sauce; steamed broccoli & cauliflower; green salad with black olives & tomatoes

Totally not feelin' it today. Got up a bit later than I have been (I have been a good girl and waking up at 7:30 the past few mornings, but I didn't set my alarm last night and woke up at 8:30 this morning.) So breakfast was later, and I haven't had an appetite to eat anything since then. I may only manage 2 meals today.

Day 4 (Feb. 27)

Food

M1: 2 fried eggs, bacon, sauteed savoy cabbage; a radish; coffee with coconut milk

M2: veggie salad with tuna; 1 banana bite

M3: cottage pie (leftover pork roast with carrots, onion, celery, green beans, and leeks topped with mashed cauli); strawberries

afternoon snack: Cherry pie Larabar while out and about (I seem to get more hungry when I run errands than when I stay at home)

Exercise: My yoga class was canceled for the second week in a row due to "bad weather" (stupid because the roads were dry, but the schools were out, so they were compelled to cancel their classes at the community center. Grrrrr! :angry: I'm going to have to exercise on my own at home, I guess.

Note: My rosacea flared up this evening - a couple bumps under my nose.

You will get there, and feel the positive effect of healthy food on your body. We all experience different things on this health journey, and I think the not so young ladies in particular have so many other challenges to deal with than the younger folks. Our hormones to start with, whether we are peri menopausal or menopausal, empty nest syndrome, or just life, coping with it as it is dealt to us. Take one day at the time, do the best you can, and believe in yourself. You can do this!

I think that once you give yorself that out (I'll start over tomorrow or I'll start over March 1) the mind game is lost. If you give yourself the space to fall off the wagon, you probably will. Speaking from experience!

During my last w30 I made it to day 26. (Hence the asterisk.) We were going out to a party with friends and I thought, in a small voice in the back of my mind, maybe I'll have a glass of wine. Then I didn't think I would, but when it was offered half way through the party--after saying no for two hours--I had a half glass of wine and my hard won AIP w30 was blown.

Don't give yourself the space to not finish. Make the commitment for the full 30 days. In a lot of ways this is about the mental challenge.

I will say that you may have more success if you also don't give yourself little outs like frozen banana treats for dessert. This keeps you in the "old" mentality of thinking of sugar as a reward.

Day 5 (Feb. 28)

Food

M1: boiled egg; leftover pork roast; sliced radish; roasted sweet potato; coffee with hazelnut creamer (homemade)

A big black cloud of depression rolled over me last night and is lingering still. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I must need more starchy vegs. :(

Good plan.  I'm going back to 2012, reading the threads,  You might drop the Larabars as a snack and add more real food carbs - root vegetables in their place.   

Yes, I only eat Larabars when I am out shopping, etc. I typically don't need snacks at home, but I seem to get hungrier when I am running errands. Besides, I am much more likely to stick with this if I can have a little something sweet once in a while. It may not be ideal, but it is better than going completely off the wagon!

Day 6 (March 1)

I'm super proud of myself today - I went to a women's group meeting and everyone brought food and wine, etc. I took sparking water and a veggie tray.. I stuck to my diet and didn't eat any of the sweets or have any wine! Yay me!

Food

M1: scrambled eggs, bacon, guacamole

M2: napa cabbage & radish salad with tuna

M3: pan-grilled chicken breast; mashed sweet potato; steamed broccoli & cauliflower

snacking at party: sparkling water, carrots, and other raw veggies; deviled egg

Day 7 (March 2)

Food

M1: fried egg, bacon, leftover chicken, leftover mashed sweet potatoes, 3 baby carrots

M2: chicken leg & thigh, celery with artichoke 'hummus', almonds, 2 banana bites, tea

M3: cashew chicken (stir fried cabbage, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and red pepper + roast chicken, cashews & coconut aminos); cup of chicken broth

Exercise

Walked 2 miles! Finally had some nice weather!

My mood was much, much better today. I attribute it to the sunshine (which I haven't seen in a while) and warmer weather. I seriously wanted to do nothing more than curl up in a ball and cry the past few days. Depression breeds depression (because I don't want to do anything and I sit around a mope), but a happy mood breeds that, too - I made arrangements to go to a seminar on Thursday, made some phone called I needed to make, and got outside to walk in the beautiful sunshine! Life is good (today, anyway,)

Day 8 (March 3)

Food

M1: 2 scrambled eggs, homemade hash (leftover hamburger, tiny white potato, onion), 1/2 avocado, coffee

M2: leftover cashew chicken, cherries

M3: chicken soup 

Exercise

stretching, arm workout with light weights

Day  9  (March 4)

Food

M1: chicken soup, 2 eggs, coffee

M2: tuna salad, black olives, baby carrots, chicken broth, cherries

M3: Trader Joe's chicken sausage sauteed with red bell pepper and onion, shredded savoy cabbage

Exercise

Walked 1 mile (estimate)

Day 10 (March 5)

Food

M1: 2 fried eggs, leftover sausage, onions, & peppers

M2: leftover tuna salad, boiled egg, chicken soup

M3: 2 salmon cakes, green beans, squash soup

snack: blueberries & macadamia nuts

Day 11 (March 6)

Food

M1: 2 scrambled eggs. bacon, avocado, squash soup, coffee

M2: chopped veggie salad with tuna, apple slices with cinnamon, 3 walnut halves

M3: roasted lamb, green beans, cauli-rice, squash soup

Exercise

1 hour yoga class

I'm hanging in there. I'm getting tired of logging my meals, but not of the food. My only temptation now is snacking too much, and that is becoming less as I adjust to eating more at meals. I still feel incredibly fat (belly roll), but I'm trying to exercise as much as I can (I have very poor endurance) and having faith that the fat will start to disappear before too long.

Day 12 (March 7)

I slept late because I feel like I'm coming down with a cold - I'm hoping lots of rest (and broth) will head it off at the pass.

Food

M1: (noon) 1 scrambled egg, bacon, cup of broth

M2: (7 pm after sleeping all afternoon) chopped veggie salad with a boiled egg and some leftover chicken; apple slices with cinnamon and a few walnut halves (delicious when eaten with the apples!)

Day 13 (March 8)

Food

M1: 2 scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee, raisins

M2: broiled salmon, asparagus soup, banana

M3: bunless burger, sweet potato home fries, chopped veggie salad

I need to eat less fruit. It seems the harder I try to NOT eat it, the more I want it... :unsure:

I haven't felt an increase in energy at all. Actually, I feel old and sluggish. And fat. I feel like I have actually gained weight. I'm very unhappy about that! I am going to reduce my starchy vegetables and fruit.

Day 14 (March 9)

Food

M1: egg salad, bacon, celery, broth, coffee

M2: leftover broiled salmon, steamed carrots, asparagus soup

M3: Roast beef. steamed cauliflower, green beans, broth

Trying to drink more broth and take digestive enzymes with every meal because I've started having this uncomfortable bloated feeling after every meal. I am incorporating elements of the GAPS diet along with Whole30 in hopes that my digestive issues will clear up. (I am also going to skip the starchy vegetables (potatoes) from now on since they are not allowed on GAPS.)

Day 15 (March 10)

Woo hoo. I'm not excited. The newsletter today said:

Some positive things you might be noticing:

• You’re sleeping better than ever, and awakening feeling bright and refreshed.

Nope. I'm waking up with a headache and diarrhea after a night of insomnia. Blah. :angry: 

The coffee I'm drinking is decaf, so I'm not sure what is causing the insomnia.

M1: soup (broth with leftover veggies and roast beef), tea, 1/2 cup raspberries

M2: soup (same as M1), macadamia nuts

M3:

Exercise

walk, arm workout with light weights

Archived