Approaching the end of my Whole30 ?

Minky

I think I could eat this way indefinitely (with occasional treats, although I'm not wanting any now), but the breakfast thing is still a problem for me. On days I work at home in the morning, I like to rise early and just have black coffee and get lots of computer work done. It's my most productive time of day, and I have zero appetite. Then eat a nice size breakfast around 10:00, when I'm starting to get hungry.

I have forced the early breakfast for my Whole30, but I'm still not waking up hungry and literally have to force down my breakfast. It's the only time of day I don't enjoy food!

I'm on Day 27. So I'm pondering whether I'll just flow a little more with my meal times after Day 30.

Any thoughts on the breakfast issue?

If I really need to eat *something* upon rising, I could have a few nuts or add the half and half back to my coffee, but I'm just not ready for veg and meat!

• Moderators

We encourage people to eat first thing in the morning even when they are not hungry because eating helps to get the ideal hormonal rhythms in place. These hormonal rhythms influence more than appetite; they also influence the sleep-wake cycle and probably some other things I've forgotten. That said, after your Whole30, if you want to wait a few hours to eat, it probably won't make anything worse; it just doesn't move you along towards better.

Now for a confession: Over the past month or so, I've delayed breakfast about 2.5 hours after waking. I am hungry enough to eat when I first get up at 5:30 AM, but it is easier to wait until after 7:30 to make breakfast and eat. After getting up, I drink a glass of water, sit in a yoga pose for 10 or 15 minutes, drink another glass of water, and then start work at 6 AM. My wife is up and out of the kitchen by 7:30, so I take a break after that and make and eat my breakfast. Note: I'm not actually avoiding eating breakfast with my wife. She uses the time immediately after eating breakfast to meditate and pray each day, so we don't do breakfast together at home.

Thanks for you input, Tom.

Family logistics is also involved with my morning routine. If I start cooking at 6:00 in our small house, I wake everyone else up. And then DH and kids take over the kitchen around 7:30, and I stay out of the way and get my work done. Then once everyone is up, out, and fed, I can get in there and make my breakfast.

I need to decide whether to eat a snack when I get up - like a banana and almond butter or a few nuts, or just hold off until 10:00-ish. Maybe I would still get the hormonal benefits if I eat a snack upon rising?

I have morning breakfast challenges too.

I am up at 430 and leave for work by around 515. I make breakfast to take with me and eat a couple of bites before I leave the house, then eat the rest of it shortly after I get to work, usually by 7 or 730.

On days that I go to the gym, I get up at 330, eat a couple of bites of something before I leave the house, and then eat a post workout snack when I leave the gym on my way to work. Then I'll eat breakfast around the same time, 7 or 730.

I eat my meal 2 around noon and my meal 3 around 4-430. Then I eat a snack later around 7 or 8 if I'm hungry.

The idea, from the book and what I've gathered in the forums. Is to give your body enough time in between meals to make your hormones work right, which is usually 4 hours or so.

This is just what seems to work for me right now, but I'm on day 19 and don't have specific results yet, so I don't know exactly how effective this is. I do know that I feel good and sleep well, and that's enough for me to keep doing it :)

Melissa

• Moderators

Eating a few bites first thing in the morning is probably a good thing, but not fruit. Fruit gives you a sugar burst to start your day and that can't be good. If you are going to eat just a few bites, make it protein with maybe a little fat. A boiled egg or two would work

Archived