Help for my dad! No energy and wanting to give up

nutmegh

Hi there. So this is my second Whole 30 and I am working with my mom and dad every day on their first whole 30. They are so far doing amazing (on day 16), however my dad (almost 61 years old) is close to giving up.  He has had no energy and seems to be melting away (in pounds). He's always had a fast metabolism and works out at least 5 days a week.  It's gotten bad enough that he can barely run a mile in the mornings anymore. He is sleeping through the night (bed at 8:30-9, up at 5). I've been thinking I need to add more starchy veggies or fruit to his diet.  Can you please help? What about white potatoes on the whole30? I know Dallas and Melissa have rethought their position on white potatoes in the paleo diet.  Does that apply to my dad's situation? Here's a sample day for him: B: 3 eggs with bacon spinach and tomato, banana. Lunch: Chicken curry with coconut milk, carrots, sweet potato, cabbage. Dinner: chicken thighs with ghee, califlower mash and spinach salad with pecans, carrots, apples.  Snack, maybe a handful of cashews.  I don't want to give up but he can't go on like this. He has a very demanding job and runs races and triathlons.  Desperate here! Thanks to anyone who can help me! 

• Moderators

If your dad is working out 5 days per week, but only eating three meals per day, he is missing 10 meals per week. Those who workout are due extra food through pre- and post-workout meals. This nutrition is extremely important. 

A lean person with a fast metabolism may benefit from a higher volume of starchy veggies in their diet. Your dad should probably consume a serving of starchy veggies at at least 3 meals per day. White potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, plantains, etc. are all good choices. 

I ate two large sweet potatoes per day when I began my Whole30 journey. Nowadays, I try to get more variety. :)

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

He adds plenty of salt to his meals. I doubt that is a problem.

I don't doubt it at all. 

Our bodies go through some interesting changes when all of the packaged, processed foods are eliminated.  They go through even more interesting changes when we make the switch from being a sugar burner to becoming fat adapted.

If you are interested in learning more about this subject, I encourage you to google "ketosis + sodium" or "ketogenic diet + bouillon cubes".  Something like that.

If your dad sweats during his workouts, it is even MORE likely that this is a problem for him. 

Check out #4 at this link:

http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/

"This is one of the main reasons people get side effects on low-carb diets… such as lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches and even constipation."

And a great, detailed explanation well worth the read here:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Thanks Brewer5 for the information. I have passed it on to my dad. I perhaps was short to reply earlier as I am not completely aware of this topic.  My apologies peace_positive. I had dismissed it as I watch my dad eat and I can assure you he generously salts his meals.  He is a thin man to begin with and is doing the Whole30 for health reasons..lesson injuries, more energy, etc. I've started to up his carb intake, but I will make sure more sea salt is added and that he be constantly aware. Thanks to everyone for their responses. He is more encouraged now which helps the process.  Day 17 and still going strong. Proud of him and my mother as well as we are all doing it together and they are taking steps to reverse almost 60 years of eating.  

• Moderators

I'm with Tom D. He is not eating nearly enough for a guy who works out a lot!

Lightheadedness is frequently a result of undereating.

Three eggs is probably not enough for him. I find I need to add meat to my morning meal. Eggs alone don't hold me as long as the combination of meat and eggs.

So cool that you got your parents to do the Whole30!

Archived