How much fruit?

The program calls for "some fruit", so I'm wondering how much is appropriate? If I have a piece of fruit with each meal (banana with breakfast, apple with lunch, something else with dinner), is that too much? I know fruit is generally considered "healthy" but things like apples probably have tons of sugar.

Or what if I have 2-3 fruits per day as a snack (total, not in addition to fruits with a meal)? I'm having a hard time getting enough veggies to make myself feel full between meals.

• Moderators

Fruit with every meal is too much. Two servings of fruit per day is a reasonable maximum.

To feel full, you probably need to up your protein and fat. The standard for protein is a serving the size of your palm per meal, but you can go up to a serving the size of two of your palms per meal. The fat standard is eating about as much as your thumb with each meal. The veggie standard, of course, is to fill the rest of your plate with veggies after the protein and fat.

Vegetables are much more nutrient dense than fruit, so it is important not to fill yourself with fruit. You short-change yourself on nutrition when you substitute fruit for veggies.

I understand that veggies offer more nutrients than fruit, but I'm in a position where I actually don't want to lose weight -- I'm doing Whole30 more as a way to reorient my relationship with food and hopefully resolve some adult acne and anovulation issues. I'm worried that by cutting fruit down to 1-2 servings/day I will lose too much weight. Suggestions?

Archived