Coconut Milk at Starbucks now!

beneal09

I drink my coffee with coconut milk - I make my own, so it has nothing in it except water and coconut. I use more than I would cream (maybe 1/3 cup in a large cup of coffee?). Here's how I do it if you're interested: http://holly-beck.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-make-coconut-milk-so-delicious.html

You can also make Bulletproof coffee but with ghee instead of butter. I used to drink my coffee this way (with butter), but it is less creamy with ghee, so I am just using coconut milk since it's easier.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the thread, but wanted to mention that I've been making my Bulletproof coffee the past week with ghee, canned coconut milk (which, for some reason is solid), coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, and about a teaspoon of unsweetened Dutch process cocoa from Penzey's, all whirled in the Nutribullet for 20-30 seconds. Pretty decent!

• Moderators

A word of caution on the "bulletproof coffee" - it's a great way to get your fat however this should not be a substitute for your morning meal. Stick to the Meal Template recommendations for protein, veggies and fat. Meal 1 is especially important in getting and keeping your hormones in balance.

A word of caution on the "bulletproof coffee" - it's a great way to get your fat however this should not be a substitute for your morning meal.

Also the "bulletproof" theory is predicated on the lack of an insulin response due to the only macro being fat. So (a.) doctoring it with ingredients containing carbs and/or protein negates this aspect and (b.) a W30-template meal creates a bolus of food that would also cause a blood sugar/insulin response.

Also the "bulletproof" theory is predicated on the lack of an insulin response due to the only macro being fat. So (a.) doctoring it with ingredients containing carbs and/or protein negates this aspect and (b.) a W30-template meal creates a bolus of food that would also cause a blood sugar/insulin response.

yeah. as you know, "bulletproof" theory and IF would be considered an advanced tweak, incompatible with whole30 recommendations for the vast majority of the population. If people are interested in trying coffee with fat added, we suggest doing so in the context of a template meal (so the fat in the coffee takes the place of fat in the rest of the meal), so not much doing it instead of a template meal or hoping to reach a ketogenic state, etc.

yeah. as you know, "bulletproof" theory and IF would be considered an advanced tweak, incompatible with whole30 recommendations for the vast majority of the population. If people are interested in trying coffee with fat added, we suggest doing so in the context of a template meal (so the fat in the coffee takes the place of fat in the rest of the meal), so not much doing it instead of a template meal or hoping to reach a ketogenic state, etc.

Agreed. And just for the record for the lurkers, I believe in the calorie theory of IF not the insulin response theory. But I do try to be correct re: the semantics of BPC.

• 9 months later...

Ok, I need advice. I'm very disappointed and bummed out by this. I'm on Day 5 and just went to Starbucks with a colleague for a work meeting. She offered to buy me a drink and I ordered a latte made with coconut milk thinking that I was doing good by avoiding the added sugar and dairy. Obviously after reading this thread I now know that the coconut milk is non compliant for Whole30!!!

What do I do? Do I need to start over? I'm really upset by this but don't know if I should let it derail my entire program so far. Thoughts? 

• Administrators

Ok, I need advice. I'm very disappointed and bummed out by this. I'm on Day 5 and just went to Starbucks with a colleague for a work meeting. She offered to buy me a drink and I ordered a latte made with coconut milk thinking that I was doing good by avoiding the added sugar and dairy. Obviously after reading this thread I now know that the coconut milk is non compliant for Whole30!!!

What do I do? Do I need to start over? I'm really upset by this but don't know if I should let it derail my entire program so far. Thoughts? 

Aw, sorry to hear that Abby!  Unfortunately one of the ingredients that makes it non compliant is one of the really nasty ones that is responsibly for a lot of gut issues; carrageenan.  (Ingredient list is on this link: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/25289-starbucks-to-carry-coconut-milk-contains-carrageenan/?p=266522)

Read the "Do I have to start over" article linked below and you decide.  Since you're only on Day 5, what about making it a Whole35 so that you are not so disheartened about having to reset back to Day 1?

I work at Starbucks - makes Whole30 life extremely difficult (new chocochip cookie dough cakepops?!) - don't order the coconut "beverage".  I looked at the ingredient list, which is long, and has more than a few things I can't pronounce and don't know what it is.  Better to avoid it.

Archived