Whole30 -- March 1

SheilaT

Hello everyone,

My name is Sheila and I have finished my first Whole30 in January successfully.  I felt great, lost weight, and my body feels great overall.  I did the re-introduction to non-Paleo compliant food in February and I noticed when I consume milk or other dairy products, I had some flare ups with allergies.  I only did the dairy re-introduction, I couldn't get myself to eat rice, pasta and bread again.  Before I delved fully into the Whole30 adventure this past January, I gradually transitioned away from eating foods with no breaks--bread, rice and pasta and some chips to name a few...rice was hard for me to give up because I ate rice most of my life.  I began in October of 2014 and it took a long time before I weaned off of the grains.

I stuck with eating Paleo lifestyle, My weakness...are chocolates...which I indulged a bit here and there.... :wacko:   I learned a lot from the January Whole30 and learned about spices and condiments which are paelo and non-paleo compliant.  The hardest part to learn was reading the ingredients labels with critical eye. and catch the sneaky pseudonames for MSG, Sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.  Additionally, I discovered some of the great spices available to flavor foods and meats and veggies.  Not only that, I learned to appreciate vegetables and meals I would never thought I would enjoy today.  

• 2 weeks later...

Whole30 (Round 2) Goals:

Nutrition:  

-Drink about 60 oz. of water daily.

-Eat meat, seafood, eggs, small amounts of fruits, healthy fats and vegetables.

-Eat meals 1,2, and 3 at appropriate times.

-I will attempt to cook recipes and stick to my planned menu for the month of March.

Sleep:  

-Turn off electronic devices an hour before bed and sleep 30 minutes earlier than I usually do.

Stress Management:

-Meditate for 15 minutes 3 - 4 times a week.

Exercise:

-Walk my courier route for 1 hour a day, five days a week.

-Take Yoga class two times a week.

Personal Growth:

-I will read "The Web That Has No Weaver" (book on Chinese Medicine) during the Whole30.

-I will read "It Starts With Food" during the Whole30.

Financial Goal:

-I will eat and stay healthy while maintaining budget.

-I will set money aside per paycheck to my savings account.

Current Weight on Day 0 (2/28/2015):  114.2

Day 1 Progress:  

Breakfast:  8:00 am.

Shrimp! (paleoonabudget.com:  Seafood recipe)

1/4 cup of sauteed vegetables (own recipe)

Snack:  12:00 noon

1/2 cup of cashews (I was so hungry and I had to work at noon and needed something to snack on... I am wondering if I overdid it with cashews).

Break Snack:  2:15 pm

1/4 cup of Crockpot Pineapple Pulled Pork (Chowstalker.com)

Lunch (more like Dunch):  4:00 pm

Leftover Crockpot Pineapple Pulled Pork (Chowstalker.com recipe)

1/2 cup sauteed vegetables

Dinner:  8:30 pm

Fried eggs and Bacon

Meditation:  0 minutes

Water Consumption:  36 oz.

Exercise:  No, cause I had to work all day.

Sometime during my work shift, after I had my Lunch, I had a really bad headache, not sure what caused it.   :(   

• Administrators

Current Weight on Day 0 (2/28/2015):  114.2

Day 1 Progress:  

Breakfast:  8:00 am.

Shrimp! (paleoonabudget.com:  Seafood recipe)

1/4 cup of sauteed vegetables (own recipe)

Snack:  12:00 noon

1/2 cup of cashews (I was so hungry and I had to work at noon and needed something to snack on... I am wondering if I overdid it with cashews).

Break Snack:  2:15 pm

1/4 cup of Crockpot Pineapple Pulled Pork (Chowstalker.com)

Lunch (more like Dunch):  4:00 pm

Leftover Crockpot Pineapple Pulled Pork (Chowstalker.com recipe)

Dinner:  8:30 pm

Fried eggs and Bacon

Water Consumption:  36 oz.

Exercise:  No, cause I had to work all day.

Sometime during my work shift, after I had my Lunch, I had a really bad headache, not sure what caused it.   :(   

Hey Sheila,

I suspect that the headache has to do with blood sugar issues.  You basically went from 8-4 without having any significant nutrition (shrimp, 1/4 cup veggies, 1/2 cup cashews, 1/4 cups pulled pork).  That's barely enough for one meal let alone from whenever you last ate the previous day up until 4pm the next day.  

Take a look at our template (linked below) and try to build your meals around that. 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, 1-2 thumbs fat (or avocado or olives).  Your schedule seems rather erratic, if this is your regular day and how you have to schedule your meals, try to eat a much larger breakfast in the morning and then bring things like canned sardines and hard boiled eggs and baked sweet potatoes -- things that you can grab on the run that will give you the nutrition and sustenance to make it to your next meal. 

Hey Sheila,

I suspect that the headache has to do with blood sugar issues.  You basically went from 8-4 without having any significant nutrition (shrimp, 1/4 cup veggies, 1/2 cup cashews, 1/4 cups pulled pork).  That's barely enough for one meal let alone from whenever you last ate the previous day up until 4pm the next day.  

Take a look at our template (linked below) and try to build your meals around that. 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, 1-2 thumbs fat (or avocado or olives).  Your schedule seems rather erratic, if this is your regular day and how you have to schedule your meals, try to eat a much larger breakfast in the morning and then bring things like canned sardines and hard boiled eggs and baked sweet potatoes -- things that you can grab on the run that will give you the nutrition and sustenance to make it to your next meal. 

Hi LadyShanny,

Thank you so much for your feedback.  I was trying to figure out what I did wrong with my meal planning.  I appreciate you checking up on me.  Hard boiled eggs and baked sweet potatoes are a great grab on the run snacks.  

Day 2 Progress:

Meal 1:  8:40 am.  

Grown-up Stir Fry (paleoonabudget.com:  Beef recipe)

1 cup of sauteed vegetables

Meal 2:  2:40 pm

Grown-up Stir Fry

1 1/2 cup of sauteed vegetables

Meal 3:  8:00 pm

Wonton Soup (Gather, p. 24)

Exercise:  1 hour walk

Water:  36 oz.

I feel much better than Sunday night and Monday during the day I still feel slightly dizzy.  I have improved on water consumption today and obviously, I need to add some more fats and vegetables on my meals.  

• Administrators

Yep, Miss Sheila, dizzy is directly related to too low of consumption. What do you use for your extra fats? Half an avocado, handful of olives, thumb worth of any oil drizzled, mayo, coconut milk in your coffee?

Day 3 Progress:

Meal 1:  9:00 am.

Grown-up Stir Fry (Paleoonabudget.com:  Beef recipe)

1 cup Sauteed vegetables

Meal 2:  3:00 pm

Leftover Grown-up Stir Fry (Paleo on a Budget Recipe)

1 1/2 cup Sauteed Vegetables

1/2 avocado

Meal 3:  8:00 pm (So starving and I feel slightly dizzy today and my body is calling for proteins)

Grown-up Stir Fry

Large Banana

Exercise:  1 hour and 40 minutes trail walk

Water:  45 oz.

There's still something missing with my meals cause I still get slightly dizzy.  I ate enough amount for breakfast, which I would like to also think have adequate fat.  I ate more during lunch (after my first 1 hour walk), then, did another 30 - 45 minutes walk and by the time I got home I was really starving.  

Yep, Miss Sheila, dizzy is directly related to too low of consumption. What do you use for your extra fats? Half an avocado, handful of olives, thumb worth of any oil drizzled, mayo, coconut milk in your coffee?

Hi LadyShanny,

Thank you for checking up on me again.  I just saw your message and I was wondering the same...   :lol:   The other source of fat I use are avocado and I incorporate fats when I cook my meal in either lard or olive oil, occasionally grass-fed butter??  I had a ton of cashews Sunday (which was probably a bad idea..).  I decided to add a banana to my Meal 3 this evening cause I am curious to know if it will make the dizziness better.  For tomorrow, I plan to eat three to four eggs with sauteed mushrooms and 1/2 of avocado and will hold the banana.  I want to see if there's any changes.  The fat consumption I am a little confused cause I don't want to eat too much fat so I thought maybe when I cook my meals with lard and olive oil that would serve my fat serving per meal?  I am not sure....  Thank you for your help.  

• Administrators

Grass fed butter would not be compliant, you can clarify it or make it into ghee, otherwise it's a no-go for your Whole30.

Curious how you do with the larger breakfast, keep me posted!

Day 4 Progress:

Meal 1:  8:00 am

3 Fried Eggs

2 Cups Sauteed mushrooms in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

1 whole avocado

Meal 2:  5:30 pm

4 Bacon

3 Fried Eggs

1 Cup Sauteed carrots

Meal 3:

None.  I was not hungry after meal 2.  Meal 1 kept me full for a long time.  I was hungry by 4 pm.  

Exercise:  1 hour 30 minutes

I added a lot more fat for meal 1, and kept me full for a longer period of time.  I had to work from 1:30 - 4:30 pm and therefore, was not able to have meal 2 until 5:30 and meal 2 also had a lot of fat and kept me satiated over night.  Attached was my breakfast.  For Day 5, I will ensure to have hard boiled eggs available to tie me over on work days.  It is sometimes difficult to manage cooking and schedule, however, it's doable.

post-58733-0-97003100-1425577268_thumb.j

Grass fed butter would not be compliant, you can clarify it or make it into ghee, otherwise it's a no-go for your Whole30.

Curious how you do with the larger breakfast, keep me posted!

Hi LadyShanny,

I added more fat for my breakfast and Yes, I remembered about the butter and that being dairy.  I cooked my eggs on olive oil instead.  My first meal kept me satiated for longer period of time. however, I was starving by 4:30 pm.  I was getting off work at 4:30 pm.  Since I am trying to figure out fat servings, I might try for a snack one hard-boiled egg and a handful of cashew nuts to tie me over until meal 2.  I may also try a mini-meal rather than a snack.

• Administrators

Day 4 Progress:

3 Fried Eggs

2 Cups Sauteed mushrooms in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

1 whole avocado

Meal 2:  5:30 pm

4 Bacon

3 Fried Eggs

1 Cup Sauteed carrots

Meal 3:

None.  I was not hungry after meal 2.  Meal 1 kept me full for a long time.  I was hungry by 4 pm.  

Exercise:  1 hour 30 minutes

I added a lot more fat for meal 1, and kept me full for a longer period of time.  I had to work from 1:30 - 4:30 pm and therefore, was not able to have meal 2 until 5:30 and meal 2 also had a lot of fat and kept me satiated over night.  Attached was my breakfast.  For Day 5, I will ensure to have hard boiled eggs available to tie me over on work days.  It is sometimes difficult to manage cooking and schedule, however, it's doable.

May I ask why you didn't eat before you worked from 1:30 - 4:30?  M2 around 12:30 would have put you ready for M3 around 5pm.  Just curious.

Day 5:

Meal 1:  8:40 am

Bowl of Bacon-Broccoli Skillet (Chowstalker.com)

Large Banana

Meal 2:  2:30

Bowl of Bacon-Broccoli Skillet

Meal 3:  8:40

1/4 cup Sauteed Carrots

1/4 Baked Salmon (palm serving)

I was not that hungry for Meal 3.  I cooked enough food and I had leftover.  I felt satiated after a few bites.

Exercise:  1 hour walk

Water:  47 oz.

May I ask why you didn't eat before you worked from 1:30 - 4:30?  M2 around 12:30 would have put you ready for M3 around 5pm.  Just curious.

Hi LadyShanny,

I was scheduled to work from 1:30 - 4:30 and from 1:30 - 2:30 I was doing the courier walk.  I should have had a meal at 2:30 since we can eat at work.  I was starving when I arrived home.  I think I did okay for Day 5.  However, there was a huge gap again on Day 6 between Meal 1 and Meal 2.  I have no excuse I just wasn't hungry.  I don't know if Beef Heart just have a huge satiating factor.

Day 7:

Meal 1:  9:15 a.m.

Palm serving Baked Salmon

1 cup Sauteed Carrots

Meal 2:  1:50 pm

4 Eggs Sauteed in Red Onions and 1 cup of mushrooms

Meal 3:  7:30 pm

Bowl of Beef Heart Stew

Exercise:  1 hour 1/2 walk

Water:  35 oz.

Day 8:  (Work Schedule 11:30 am - 4:30 pm)

Meal 1:  8:30 am 

Bowl of Beef Heart Stew

1 whole avocado

Large Banana

I ate my meal at 8:30 a.m.  knowing that I will have a break at work around 2 or 2:30 pm.

Meal 2: 3:10 pm

1/2 Bowl of Beef Heart Stew

I was hoping to go to break and eat Meal 2 at 2:30 pm.  However, things happened at work that is out of my control and as a result, pushed back Meal 2.   

Meal 3:  8:00 pm

1/2 palm serving of Beef burger patty

1/8 palm serving of Baked Salmon

1 cup Sauteed vegetables

Exercise:  1 hr. 15 minutes walk

Water:  24 oz.

Day 9:  Work schedule was from 8 am - 1 pm)

1/2 beef burger patty (Palm serving)

1/2 baked Salmon (Palm serving)

Meal 2:  10:15 am (15 minute break)

Large Banana

Meal 3:  2:15 pm

1 whole avocado

1/2 palm serving of Beef burger patty

1/8 palm serving of Baked Salmon

Meal 4:  9:30 pm

Bowl of Beef Heart Stew

Exercise:  1 hour 1/2 walk

Water:  30 oz.

We are almost at the end of week 2 for the Whole30 and in looking back at my progress, what I find challenging for me is scheduling meals that coincides with work schedule.  My work hours fluctuate--sometimes early morning shifts, or mid-day shifts and sometimes evening shifts.  I am also having to eat about the same dish for a few days to manage time.  There are gaps with my fat and vegetable intakes, however, there are no problem with protein servings.  When I made the Beef Heart Stew,  I purposely put extra servings of carrots to meet vegetable servings and sometimes, if schedule permits, I would cook sauteed vegetables aside from a dish that already have vegetables to add to or make up for shortage of vegetable serving from another meal/dish.

For week 3 and 4 I will do my best to balance my meals out and have adequate servings of protein+vegetables+fat+seasonings.  

Hello!

I started my first While 30 on March 1st.  Day 11 today.  I initially decided to do this in support of my twin sister, who was diagnosed with an auto immune disease.  I did a lot of research and found that diet can have a lot to do with flare ups.  So I told her that I would do the Whole 30 with her, largely because it did not feel like a diet.  I can eat real food and no calorie counting.  So I have stuck to it like glue.  I read every label and eat only things that I know are approved.  I have been trying to eat better because I am overweight, but this had put everything into high gear for me.  I cannot believe that I have not eaten a grain of rice or an  ounce of sugar, or worst of all...drunk no milk or eaten any cheese in 11 days.  And if I think that I will be this restricted for the next 19 days, ugh.  So I take every day one day at a time.  I am so excited about what I am eating now.  Organic, fresh and whole. 

I have not really had many of the symptoms of the timeline in order.  I am hitting the tired phase I think. Have also gone through some shakiness around day 8 and 9.  But other than that, for the amount of dairy and sugar and carbs I was eating, I think I have been pretty lucky.,

I feel full when I am eating, which is a change...  but I have gotten some feedback that perhaps I was shaky because I was not feeding myself enough.  :o   So I will have to change that. 

I am a terrible cook, but am cooking every night and weekend now.  I am anxious to get to the point where I don't have to think about this anymore and that it just becomes old hat. 

Need to increase my veggies... just can't seem to eat them for breakfast....  ick. 

Kathleen

Archived