How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since our focus this month is "nutrition", what are some aspects other than food and cooking?

Hydration - I don't always make the 'half your bodyweight in ounces' target, but I try to. One piece of advice that's stuck with me 'drink water in gulps, not sips' as a bit of a trick to get a few more ounces in each time.

Supplements - I take D3/K2 and a probiotic. Sometimes do ALA, turmeric, and resveratrol. Usually do fish oil but I'm out right now. I like the idea that eating well (Whole30, etc) can handle a lot of the issues supplements are meant to address.

Food handling - never really read up on the BPA thing. From what I gather it's heated plastic that's the biggest issue? My canned goods are still lined with it D'm sure, and my Nalgene bottle is an older one. I cook on cast iron most of the time.

Hydration is something I am working on. Used to be easier at work, have an Aladdin lidded tumbler w/ straw that is BPA free that I take to work. 20 oz I think, used to be able to take it around with me on my WOW, but State has been around the last month, so not allowed. Makes it harder to get my water in. We have kitchenettes at all the nurses stations and am trying to make it a habit to grab a glass of water more often.

Cast iron, stainless and ceramic are what I cook in now. Have rid out most of the plastic storage containers, using mason jars, old glass fridge storage containers for the bulk of fridge items and mason jars for some of my freezer stuff. Keep all my nuts in mason jars in the freezer door section. Easy to get too, see what I have and keeps them from going rancid. Looks pretty cool too...

I think eating a variety of foodstuff is important in getting good nutrition. Need to work on that more, tend to stick to a lot of the same things. Even tho I haven't met a veg I didn't like yet... Meat, not a big fan of lamb, pretty much like everything else, even liver etc. Just need to actually cook it...

Meal planning, not something I've been good at as far as sitting down and planning out meals for the week/ month. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, not good at following recipes, make changes, or generally following at all, I've been a rebel pretty much all my life. There are good and bad things in that... I can follow instructions, if I feel it is for my benefit, ie. whole30 has been easy for me because I wanted to do it the way they said, in situations like that I can get down right anal... so several things to look at and work on over the year.

ok, my goal/s for the nutrition leg as I am on day 40 now in a whole100 is:

incorporate meal planning into my script. Plan a weekly menu with wiggle room for some creativity and adding a different veg or meat than  what has been my routine these past 40 days.

increase my water consumption by 8 oz a day on a weekly increase til I reach the goal of half my BW in ounces. This week, a total of 48 oz each day, next week increase that by another 8 ounces.

Very happy to be part of this challenge!

I'm on day 13 of a whole 30 so will continue with that until the 19th, then some reintros but stay off sweets and alcohol until Easter.

I was considering trying nutrient supplementation in March, maybe the ones recommended by the Perfect Health Diet. I've noticed they say vitamin B5 may help with acne. I can definitely have all their recommended "supplement foods" straight away: 3 egg yolks (I have whole eggs), bone broth (should have every week), fermented vegetables (need to make my own sauerkraut again), liver weekly, fish, shellfish.

The actual supplements I could start taking if I can find compliant ones, otherwise wait until after day 30. Their daily recommendations are vitamin D3, vitamin K2, magnesium, iodine, vitamin C, vitamin B5, and weekly B1, B2, B6, biotin, zinc, chromium, boron.

doesn't matter to me. However, could be not everyone on here has facebook, I find my self spending more time here than facebook.In fact 99% of my whole30 experience, learning and support comes from here and associated blogs of moderators. I also like that the moderators are here to help, even if it is to just give more tips, as well as Dallas and Melissa if they want. My biggest issue with a lot of the "whole30" facebook stuff is how much non-compliant crap creeps in even in closed groups. Also, any one doing whole 30 can jump in on this anytime, and others maybe not quite ready can follow along and get encouragement to help them improve their own whole30.  I'd vote to leave it here, but the decision IMHO is that it is Krosario's choice, the OP. They have PM on here for privacy, and for me personally, I don't friend anyone on FB unless I know them personally. if I have not met them, I have had a longstanding relationship with them on an online forum, longstanding meaning long enough to know how they handle themselves in all kinds of situations. There are only about 3 people I have come to trust to do that.

I don't use Facebook, so that's my bias for wanting to keep it here. :)

Ytu, do you have any good liver recipes? I've read calf is better than beef, at least for people new to it? Pre-W30 I only ever had it with a tonnnn of potatoes & ketchup.

kirkor, this is the recipe I usually use for liver: Lamb's liver in merguez spices (using ghee instead of butter)

I didn't use to be able to tolerate the taste of liver at all but this recipe has converted me. I usually have it with greens and potatoes or swede. If you're used to covering the flavour up with ketchup, the spices and onions do the same job here.

I've had calf's liver just pan-fried in a restaurant and found it delicious. It's definitely the mildest and probably the best place to start. I usually have lamb's because it's so much cheaper.

Chicken/duck liver pate is also very tasty, though I've never tried to make it with ghee instead of butter so don't know how well that would work.

I am on Day 1 of my first Whole30, and I would love to join this group! I am also pregnant with my 2nd child due April 21st, so a year of self care goals will be much needed! Especially the April for sleep- haha I'll just have to do my best with a newborn.

Another thing I want to add to the nutrition thing, is mindfulness when eating. Working in patient care in a hospital since graduating from High School has really messed that up for me. I tend to inhale my meals like something is after me. At home, eating my meals alone, I tend to have the computer up and going during my meals. Takes longer to eat, but only because I'm not shoveling it in, still not chewing it slowly which is not good for digesting and nutrient absorption.

Hi guys!  Seems like it's been a week or more since I checked in on this topic.  The summary is that colds are yucky, sleep is far too hard to find, and the food re-introductions are teaching me a few things.  I am definitely sensitive to whatever's in corn, for example.  That'll be a "choose to eat it even if it makes you feel yucky afterward" food.  Beans seem fine, the peanut butter I tried didn't taste good.

Today I'm trying something out that I have had once before -- kombucha.  Last time, I tried a mango-flavored one that tasted sort of like rancid orange juice.  I didn't enjoy it very much.  This time I'm having one called "gingerade," which has only ginger juice besides the plain kombucha.  It tastes something like a very intense ginger ale, which was always one of my favorites.  In fact, it tastes enough like it that I'm tempted to think it's too close to a soda for me to drink safely.  But I'll enjoy the rest of this bottle before I put it aside again.  If it helps my digestion, I might buy a plain kombucha to have small amounts of regularly.

ThyPeace, also having some veggie chips tonight.  Veggies, canola oil, and salt are the ingredients, so not Whole30 compliant, but also not really something that requires a reintroduction.  Definnitely something to eat rarely while I still need to lose weight, but oh, they do taste good!

Kirkor, I am making this one today   http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/04/17/beef-liver-with-parsley-onions-lemon/     My sister made it the other day and loved it. Of course, we grew up eating liver, tho not often.

It was delicious

Having this for dinner tonight! Using lamb's liver but will be interesting to see how I feel about the taste compared to my usual recipe with all the spices.

I was made to eat liver as a child, infrequently, but enough to put me off the flavour and texture of it for twenty years. I was determined to teach myself to enjoy it though as it was pretty much the only foodstuff I didn't like (apart from even more offaly things, like tripe, which I've neither the courage nor the desire to try).

Having this for dinner tonight! Using lamb's liver but will be interesting to see how I feel about the taste compared to my usual recipe with all the spices.

I was made to eat liver as a child, infrequently, but enough to put me off the flavour and texture of it for twenty years. I was determined to teach myself to enjoy it though as it was pretty much the only foodstuff I didn't like (apart from even more offaly things, like tripe, which I've neither the courage nor the desire to try).

I usually fried mine up with onions and cajun seasoning. This was a tasty change. Can't wait to hear how you liked it. I like a lot of the offal, fave I think is beef tongue. Haven't gotten the courage up to try tripe either...

Y'all are brave.  Just the smell of beef liver put me off it for ever, back when my parents would occasionally make it.

ThyPeace, we got burgers, but the smell lingered in the house for waaaaay too long.

WHAT! we fell back to the second page! How's everyone doing? Me not so well, have a stomach bug and food does not agree right now. My hydration goals have been over the mark some days and under others. gonna get that leveled out... Anywho, back to bed as sleeping has been my thing for the past 24 hrs.

Wait, no -- sleep is not 'til April!!

That be true, but sleep is what my body wants when I am sick, so I give it what it wants. Picked up a stomach bug somewhere, on the downhill side of that I think. HOPE... Haven't eaten anything since Saturday night, Did try some egg and kale last night, but the stomach screamed at me not to do it. Managed to get down to bites. Been living on water, kombucha, and LaCroix. so I think I am good on the hydration for Sunday... Slept pretty much all day, only up enough to go visit the great white thrown and  then, replenish the fluids lost there. Feeling like I am gonna live this morning...

Cottagequeen, so sorry about the stomach bug!  One day of nausea at the beginning of my cold was plenty for me.  And I never did actually throw up, though there were other... consequences.  Anywho, what about some broth as a liquid?  Replaces a few things different than the water, kombucha, and LaCroix,  And I bet by now your body really needs some sodium and potassium.  

I slept for 12 or 13 hours (I lost track with the time change) on Saturday night.  By the end of the day yesterday, most of the cold symptoms were finally going away too.  Sleep is amazingly restorative, and it's amazing how much my body needs when it's working on healing.

ThyPeace, and then DD was up for a long time last night, so I'm not actually well rested.  But surviving better than I would otherwise for sure.

ThyPeace, Thanks. Sorry to hear you are experiencing something similar. My problems weren't throwing up, but the other end, too.. I did have a small bought of dry heaves around 0200 Sunday morning... must have been the time change! :huh: Even the thought of broth made my stomach/body scream no at me.  I don't know if it has something to do with the richness of it or what, but I do trust my bodies responses when I am sick and it has worked well for me. Much better today, gut still feels a bit tender, but managed to eat an egg fried in coconut oil and a few green beans and squash. Will try some broth later. Funny thing is that I don;t want a cup of coffee either. My last whole60 back in April, I lost my taste for coffee and didn't drink it for several months after. Could be what's happening again or just this bug. BTW, I hate to throw up when I am sick, oddly enough, I rarely throw up. The mind is an amazing thing...

Archived