How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

Wow, not even broth?  Well, we're a little similar there too.  Sweet fruity stuff was what my body wanted that first awful day.  The next day, because I did not have fever, I went back to work.  Boy, was I worn out by the end of that day!  My colleagues, bless them, just nodded and smiled when I said, "I am not sick."  And then made my day very easy.

ThyPeace, has awesome colleagues.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kirkor, this is the recipe I usually use for liver: Lamb's liver in merguez spices (using ghee instead of butter)

I didn't use to be able to tolerate the taste of liver at all but this recipe has converted me. I usually have it with greens and potatoes or swede. If you're used to covering the flavour up with ketchup, the spices and onions do the same job here.

Made this a couple days ago with a few mods: used beef liver since that's what I had, used whole carraway since that's what I had, omitted the coriander since I didn't have any, and omitted the onions on general principle since "liver & onions" has too much of a negative stereotype ... gotta say it was pretty good! Still a bit "liver-y" but I think the quick cooking time helped. I'd make it again.

Made this a couple days ago with a few mods: used beef liver since that's what I had, used whole carraway since that's what I had, omitted the coriander since I didn't have any, and omitted the onions on general principle since "liver & onions" has too much of a negative stereotype ... gotta say it was pretty good! Still a bit "liver-y" but I think the quick cooking time helped. I'd make it again.

Glad you enjoyed it, kirkor! I forgot to report back on trying the liver with lemon and onions recipe last week. I liked it, the onions were particularly delicious with the lemon juice and parsley. I really need the onions there in both recipes to cover up the liver flavour a bit (although lamb's liver is milder than beef liver) and also for moister texture - the liver on its own can have quite a dry mouthfeel which I really don't like.

Hi Y'all.  I'm still reintroducing various foods.  Seems to be going okay.  I may gain back a little weight if I keep eating carbs, though -- I'm just adding them without subtracting quantity of other foods when I have a reintroduction day.  Most things are fine.  Interestingly, corn and rice were not fine.  I never would have guessed that.  And wheat was fine -- thought it might not be.  Oatmeal also seems to be fine, as are legumes.  

Dairy has not been fine for more than a year, so I didn't re-test that.

I do understand that some reactions take a while to build up so I still consider that only preliminary information. 

Is April sleep?  I am going to have to really think carefully to clean that up.  And hmmm.  What does 30 days of "clean" sleep look like, anyway?

ThyPeace, hadn't even thought about that until now.

That's why we're doing this, ya? ;)

Yes, that's why.  But what I meant was, what would a Whole30 of good sleep practice look like?  Let's see here, time to search around in the Whole9 links........

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/

1.  Get bright natural light into your eyes first thing in the morning.  This will be easier for those of us in northern latitudes this time of year.  I have to say that I work much better if I turn on lots of lights in the morning, especially when I'm up (as I have been for the last six months) before dawn.  I'm looking at another month at least before the sun is up before me.  It would be interesting to try this in November!

2.  Eat a big breakfast.  If we're eating Whole30 style, this should be an extension.

3.  Get even more bright natural light into your eyes first thing in the morning.  On your commute, drive, or just by going out for a walk.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

1.  Kill the caffeine.  This will require a change for me, as I have been having tea in the mornings.  I can switch to herbal, though.

2.  Blackout bluelight.  The specific light that wakes you up is the blue part of natural light.  Even the small amounts that come from computer or even phone screens are enough to tell your body it's time to get up, rather than go to sleep.  It says to give those up after about 7pm.  Argh!  This may be a really tough one.  Or, it says, you can wear orange biking glasses to keep the blue from triggering your wake-up hormones.

3.  Improve sleep environment.  Cool (62 degrees), comfortable bed and pillow, get rid of light sources, and get rid of noise sources or use a white noise machine.

4.  Create bedtime routine.  Create a consistent and same-time-every-night bedtime routine.  Insert calming stuff.

5. Reduce emotional commotion.  Fight with the spouse before noon, DO NOT check work email before bed, and read the boring book then, not the nail-biter.

That's a lot.  I don't think it's quite as distilled as the Whole30 food stuff is, but it's a start.

Anyone thinking about how to make some changes to get ready for April?

ThyPeace, dimmed all the lights and the computer screen tonight.  Hey, it's a start.

I think I'm going to give myself a 9pm screen curfew and a 10pm bedtime and see how that works. 7pm would mean no computer use at home which would be an interesting experiment in itself but not sure I can take it quite that far, certainly not permanently!

Will also stick to no caffeine after noon, which is what I've been doing during this whole 30. I try to do the bright light thing already - my kitchen faces east, so if it's not overcast I can stand at the window facing the rising sun as I sip my warm lemon water first thing in the morning.

I've found that doing a whole 30 makes me more sensitive to morning light and I tend to wake up naturally at sunrise. It's good this time of the year, but less so in the summer, so when sunrise gets too early I need to get the room darkened more efficiently. Already use a sleep mask to go to sleep but it usually falls off during the night.

I've been keeping the habit of waking up early even on days I don't have to, and it's been helping me get to bed earlier.

But I don't want to talk too much about sleep yet -- still 2 weeks of nutrition focus left! :)

I'll be doing a dairy re-intro of sorts today...making homemade blue cheese dressing, using fancy cambozola cheese. Doing a wedge-type salad, and have a steak to sous vide ... it'll be like a good restaurant, but better!

Been keeping a log of my food eats this past while. Have improved my H2O intake, hitting my goal most days and surpassing others. Still have not managed to organize a meal planning thing, still flying by the seat of my pants on that. It has worked for me so far, but I really want to get a bit more organized and try a few more recipes from the Wellfed books and NomNom Paleo. I haven't noticed any particular issues with any particular foods, so at this point I am sticking with the basic Whole30 food list. My goal for these next 2 weeks of nutrition is more mindfulness of the meals I am eating.

I've been working on chewing more completely. Releases more amylase and lipase which helps digestion, helps me enjoy the flavor and texture more, and the slower speed should help with satiety. Win-win-win!

• Administrators

I've been working on chewing more completely. Releases more amylase and lipase which helps digestion, helps me enjoy the flavor and texture more, and the slower speed should help with satiety. Win-win-win!

My husband harps on me about this All The Time. I am a super fast eater and have lately tried to switch to my opposite hand just to slow down a bit. But then I got efficient enough with that hand that it doesn't work.  I'm always done MILES before anyone else........unless I distract myself and read a book or something.

Hey,

Weekly update from me... finished my whole 30 on Thursday and had a slightly off-plan weekend (consciously) and back to template eating today. Will do some reintros: plan is dairy on Wednesday, legumes on Saturday, non-gluten grains next Tuesday, gluten grains next Friday.

I've been taking my supplements for a couple of weeks, can't say I notice much change. Have been doing well on the bone broth and my sauerkraut jars with airlocks have finally arrived so I get to have a go with that! Also have had liver weekly, having some tonight. 

Also tracking my meals today and tomorrow in paleotrack to see how well template food fills up the micronutrient RDIs (very well I expect!).

I haven't taken a probiotic pill since starting this Whole100. I do eat something fermented at least once a day.

Now, I have to say my meal planning in advance has been a BIG no go. Not sure why, but it hasn't hurt my eating compliant or using the food I have on hand. Must be some mental rebellious block I have against structure or just my personality. I do like things organized, but am not anal about organization...I have been doing better at the mindfulness while eating and chewing slower...

looking forward to spring planting and growing my veg instead of buying... I have to say, and this is pretty much unheard of for me, but I am tired of snow... We got about 3 inches yesterday afternoon. The crocus are just now coming up and blooming. Usually show up in Feb. so about a month late. We have a short enough growing season here in Ohio as it is. Planning some season extensions this year with grow tunnels and, IF, I get my other projects done, a greenhouse...

Archived