How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

claws you're lucky to have those parks so close - we have nothing like that here... There's a Tayto Park in the south of Ireland that is launching a huge rollercoaster for the summer, and it has a great zipline too, but it would involve an overnight stay so I'm planning a trip there for the last weekend of the summer holidays (Aug/Sept).

cottagequeen that swinging bridge sounds interesting! The carrick-a-rede rope bridge we have here swings in the wind - it can be terrifying!

Locally we have crazy golf, a trampoline park, climbing walls, ten pin bowling, archery centres & that sort of thing. I'll consult with my boys to see what they fancy and take it from there - for me fun & play is about spending more time with them... My youngest is on a little elite gymnastics squad - I figured he could help me brush up on my trampolining skills as they use trampolines to learn all their tumble moves. My eldest isn't really sporty so I may have to acquiesce to his requests for me to *properly* learn chess - fun for him, for me not so much...!!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last day of the Healthy movement portion of this Whole9 challenge. Yesterday was spent working the garden, hauling 5 bales of wet straw in a wheelbarrow to lay on pathway thru and around garden bed and planting it. Sore today, resting, relaxing and thinking of some fun/play things to do. Sleeping thru the night continues on, nutrition on track and more active tha I have been in a couple years! Glad this challenge was started!

Day 1 fun and play.... Still a bit sore from Saturday's gardening extravaganza! Not much fun and play today, taking mom to see Neuro Dr. @ 11:45 and Rehab Dr. @ 2:15. Maybe we can get some fun & play in between app.'s. If all goes well, there is a nice walking trail around a small lake the next town over, smae town as my favorite health food store. Will get in some nature then hit the health food store. Thinking I need to utilize some old clothes I have and put up a scare crow in the garden... That will be fun!

Well, June didn't start off for me in quite the fun way I'd hoped. Someone ran into the back of my car on the way to work on Monday, my bedroom got a proper soaking from the horizontal torrential rain we had on Tuesday when my window somehow worked it's way off the latch (or okay, so maybe I hadn't latched it properly...), then I woke up yesterday stiff as a board from the impact of the RTA on Monday meaning I'm out of training for a few days...  :( 

Weather seems to have improved here today though and I'm told it'll be good all weekend so will try & maybe get in a round of crazy golf or something similar with the kids on Saturday - although my swing might be off as I'm having to move my whole body when I move my head!  :wacko:

10 Pointers for Play

1. We should seek to reclaim the enjoyment of movement that we experienced as children

2. Make it BIG (broad, inclusive and general)

3. Make sure play includes the active participation of others

4. Make it fun with a small element of risk (imaginary or otherwise)

5. Make play unpredictable and prepare for the unexpected

6. Abide by the rules, change the rules, break the rules, have no rules

7. Use the natural environment as your playground

8. Use each other as “exercise” equipment

9. Get children (and adults) to create the scenarios

10. Minimise structure, time intervals and penalties – encourage real-world movement, imagination and rewards

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-tips-for-successful-play/

Sooo, I went to the movies instead of Universal.  Saw two movies with a friend of mine.  

Thanks kirkor for the links to the  "Fun and Play" articles. 

Way to go jmcbn. I concur, you have #2 down.... SMILING..

How's things going for you fun & play wise? I'm only just coming out the other side of a sinus infection so hoping for better things this weekend... Last weekend I asked my boys what they'd like to do & they opted to go to Forbidden Planet which is a big shop that sells all sorts of TV/Movie figurines, books & collectibles. For me it's fun because I get to look at the other kids & think back to when my mum said 'You're not going out dressed like that!' I was so conservative!!! It's like a mini comicon-fest there every Saturday. I keep asking my eldest 'So, who are they supposed to be...?'  :P 

Not sure what the plans are for this weekend - will have to look at the forecast.

not so hot! too much work and not enough off work. The time spent with mom was low key and enjoyable over all. only one app to go to so spent the rest of the time just relaxing and cooking for us. The rainy season has continued on and so trying to come up with fun stuff is hard...

Hopefully this thread is slow because we're all out having too much fun! :)

Here's me and my bro mugging after the Color Run last week:

UV3YbHS.jpg

Spent last week on vacay in Nashville --- checked out the Nissan factory (AMAZING tour!), the Jack Daniel distillery (do fumes count on a Whole30? ;)), and caught some splash from the CMA festival. Nashville is too damn humid though!!

mOJDPij.gif

Nice tutu!  :D 

Sounds like you had a good trip too. Can't wait for my vacation in a few weeks............

I did a bit of hiking last week with my eldest. My youngest didn't think it was his idea of fun so he stayed with his dad while he lit the BBQ and had some friends over. Each to his own I guess! I've done both the Guinness Distillery & the Bushmills Distillery tours here - interesting stuff, and if you're ever in Dublin the Guinness Store House has a bar at the top of the tower with a 360 view of the city - awesome.

This weekend I'm hoping to get out on some bike trails, weather permitting - just need to source a bike rack for the car first...

Hopefully this thread is slow because we're all out having too much fun! :)

Here's me and my bro mugging after the Color Run last week:

UV3YbHS.jpg

Spent last week on vacay in Nashville --- checked out the Nissan factory (AMAZING tour!), the Jack Daniel distillery (do fumes count on a Whole30? ;)), and caught some splash from the CMA festival. Nashville is too damn humid though!!

mOJDPij.gif

I'm headed to Nashville in October.. Any cool places I should check out?

Archived