How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

I sat out on the beach and watched the sunset yesterday 9/19/2015.  That counts right?  

Hmmm, I actually fell asleep (it was a cat nap) and almost missed it. But I was still out in nature, breathing in the fresh beach salt-water air.............

I am hoping to kick up my "Time to embrace the natural environment," activities.  Only 10 days left  for this challenge......

The weather has been in the 80s here, with a soft breeze.... 80s is a welcome change from the upper 90s, feels like 100s humidity weather we normally experience.

:lol:

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, last weekend in September, and finally we get the weather typical of this month here so having had to stay around the house yesterday for various reasons we set off to my favourite beach today... We walked barefoot in the sand, jumped the waves at the edge of the water, created beach art with stones, shells & seaweed, built (pretty poor) sand-castles, climbed up & ran down the sand dunes, sat on some rocks & watched the world go by, then walked the decked pathways and through the heather & other wild flowers on the nature reserve back to the car..... What a glorious day it was.

2015-09-27%2015.55.59.jpg

Riding my motorbike from Wyoming to Washington at the end of this week, so the extra helpings of cold, wind, and rain will help carry our focus on the natural environment in to the first part of October, where we will be focusing on PERSONAL GROWTH!

http://whole9life.com/category/personal-growth/

self-esteem

habits

stress

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/personal-improvement/

I'm cutting my grass tomorrow evening if the weather holds up - I reckon it'll be my last chance to spend time in my own little piece of our natural environment this side of Christmas....

Then I've a whole host of things lined up for Personal Growth in October, starting with getting access to my course notes for my Child Nutrition Course on Thursday, dining out with a group of people I've never met before (bar the host) on Friday, finding a pilates class I can attend on the recommendation of my physio (new good habit), looking into booking our family vacation for next summer (de-stress!!), and spending a few quality days wth my kids at the end of the month in a posh hotel in a little rural town right next to a World Heritage site - we'll be stressing (with Europe's tallest wooden roller coaster!) & de-stressing (Petting Zoo etc) at a local theme park & water park before doing the culture vulture thing... 

October is lining up to be a pretty good month by the looks of it.

Hello there my "How about a Whole9 Challenge" mates....

I would say that I ended the "Time to embrace the natural environment" challenge on a high note.  I've been at a conference in New Orleans, La, since Saturday and have had the opportunity to walk/jog many many miles outside each day alone the RiverWalk near the Convention center.  On Wednesday, 9/30/2015, I caught the trolley to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter area...  I started out during day light hours but didn't end up back at the hotel until the sun had set......  :D  :D  :D  :D.  I walked around seeing the sights, lost my trolley pass so walked backed to my hotel........Wonderful adventure.....

QUESTION:...Does hanging out on Bourbon Street and the French Quarter areas count as "natural environments"???Ha Ha Ha.......

I'm ready for month 10's challenge...."PERSONAL GROWTH"..............

"laissez le bon temps rouler"....... "let the good times roll"

Finished off the month of Natural environment watching the supermoon/full moon/eclipse. Got lucky that the cloud cover passed and was able to see it. It was beautiful.

I started my personal growth month a little early. I have been struggling with some depression this past month or so, SO, I started focusing on gratitude more. One thing I have been doing is every night and every morning I have been thanking God for my job. I am terribly burned out, but it pays to well for me to just walk away from it and no options for me to change scenery with it right now. I have been amazed at how just thanking God for it has helped me deal with things better.

Ran across this the other day

4 Rituals That Will Make You Happy, According to Neuroscience

I've also pulled out some of my Permaculture Design Course DVD's and have been refreshing my education there.

Going to combine the nature and personal development with some permaculture projects  here this week.

Finished off the month of Natural environment watching the supermoon/full moon/eclipse. Got lucky that the cloud cover passed and was able to see it. It was beautiful.

I started my personal growth month a little early. I have been struggling with some depression this past month or so, SO, I started focusing on gratitude more. One thing I have been doing is every night and every morning I have been thanking God for my job. I am terribly burned out, but it pays to well for me to just walk away from it and no options for me to change scenery with it right now. I have been amazed at how just thanking God for it has helped me deal with things better.

Ran across this the other day

4 Rituals That Will Make You Happy, According to Neuroscience

I've also pulled out some of my Permaculture Design Course DVD's and have been refreshing my education there.

Going to combine the nature and personal development with some permaculture projects  here this week.

Hi cottagequeen:

I've been feeling the same way as you and have been writing a gratitude list as well as thanking God for the good times in my life as well as the opportunities for growth (bad times) I've been dealing with.... I too am so very terribly burned out at my current job but as you the position pays quite well.   

I will be reading the 4 Rituals That Will Make You Happy............Therefore, thanks in advance for the article.

Whole9 on everyone...

Hi cottagequeen:

I've been feeling the same way as you and have been writing a gratitude list as well as thanking God for the good times in my life as well as the opportunities for growth (bad times) I've been dealing with.... I too am so very terribly burned out at my current job but as you the position pays quite well.   

I will be reading the 4 Rituals That Will Make You Happy............Therefore, thanks in advance for the article.

Whole9 on everyone...

Happy I found it and hope for a better brighter tomorrow for us all!

Personal growth... Just sitting here after a walk that I got to enjoy due to getting called off from work... Miracles do happen... reading this thread and thinking about personal growth. Stepping outside our comfort zone, facing our fears, knowing our "enemy" and how it works, ie. our enemy knows our weakness and fears and just loves to poke at our sore spots, keeping them raw and irritated. Facing the enemy head on. screaming no if we have to. "get the behind me satan" is effective, but not permanent. Just thinking about this, has helped me see things a bit more clearly and I feel that is an important part of personal growth as learning a new thing. Often our fears hinder our learning a new thing. Keep us stuck and not moving forward. I am thankful for the times of courage that helped me face a fear, take a step forward, try a new path. I am really glad for this challenge and those who are walking it with me. OOO RAH! We rock!

• 3 weeks later...

Personal growth has been surprisingly hard to focus on this month.  I've been busy working at my uncle's farm for the harvest, and so that's taken up a lot of my time, but not really enough to justify wasting the remaining time on the internet or watching movies.

I've got a few engagements planned that will keep me bouncing around a bit 'til the end of the year, so I kinda feel like my life is "on pause" right now.

I've now got all the course work for my Child Nutrition which I've been reading over, and the first webinar is next week.

Meanwhile my course provider has offered me the chance to complete their Sport's Nutrition course - the only catch being I have to complete the course work in about 4 weeks. Now, I'm already about 80/85% of my way through a Sports Nutrition course with another provider which I am not enjoying and have really hit a wall. I'm not liking the way the material is presented and am struggling to take the information in so I jumped at the chance to do this one. I've been binge watching the webinars all weekend and am already feeling much more confident of the outcome  B) 

In other news I joined a Pilates class on Friday. It probably wasn't wise that I chose an advanced class, and probably even less wise to do so the day after my return to lifting. All I can say 'Ouch!' - still it's a learning curve, and this month is about personal growth right? Oh, and I'm also growing my hair if that counts?

The last day of October will see another area of growth for me - I'm off to a Theme Park with the kids and since I know they won't go on any of the rides without me I'm seriously going to have to grow a pair.... :o  :blink:  :D  

Personal growth has been surprisingly hard to focus on this month.  I've been busy working at my uncle's farm for the harvest, and so that's taken up a lot of my time, but not really enough to justify wasting the remaining time on the internet or watching movies.

I've got a few engagements planned that will keep me bouncing around a bit 'til the end of the year, so I kinda feel like my life is "on pause" right now.

I don't know Kirkor, helping out your uncle sounds like some personal growth material to me. If their is a big difference in age, maybe spending some time just picking his memory of times past, family ancestry, etc. Some farm work can be quite meditative...

The Personal Growth factor has concluded; now on to Temperance:

I worked on my spirituality and did some service work (volunteered) during the Personal Growth month.  I now have hobbies and pursuits that are not related to work.  I've created some boundaries that are helping me to have a Balance between, work, family and self.  I still have lots and lots of work to do in this area but at least I've started....

November is all about Temperance.  It is the last piece of the puzzle, soooo is everyone ready to forge ahead and complete this Whole9 challenge?

According to http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/  Temperance seems to be the most ignored Whole9 factor.  

Quote:  "Temperance means “moderation or self-restraint,” but this isn’t your typical “everything in moderation” stance. No, it’s more about applying critical, introspective practices to your own life, and creating awareness about your own habits and preferences. It means taking a good, hard look in the mirror, and truly owning what you see—whether you like it or not. And if you don’t, it’s about being brave enough to take that first tough step and do something about it (hopefully, with the support and aid of your social in-person network). Temperance, to the Whole 9 group is knowing when it’s totally okay to do something “less healthy”—to be moderately immoderate."

Let's get this PARTY started everyone... Let's get this PARTY started.....   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Being brave enough to take a good hard look in the mirror.... I have a few things that need moderated. Number one is the time I spend on the computer. With that stated. I will conquer it this month! 

November is all about Temperance.  It is the last piece of the puzzle, soooo is everyone ready to forge ahead and complete this Whole9 challenge?

According to http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/  Temperance seems to be the most ignored Whole9 factor.  

Quote:  "Temperance means “moderation or self-restraint,” but this isn’t your typical “everything in moderation” stance. No, it’s more about applying critical, introspective practices to your own life, and creating awareness about your own habits and preferences. It means taking a good, hard look in the mirror, and truly owning what you see—whether you like it or not. And if you don’t, it’s about being brave enough to take that first tough step and do something about it (hopefully, with the support and aid of your social in-person network). Temperance, to the Whole 9 group is knowing when it’s totally okay to do something “less healthy”—to be moderately immoderate."

Let's get this PARTY started everyone... Let's get this PARTY started.....   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Temperance.

I've a few things I need to work on this month - I have to stop being disappointed in myself when I don't achieve everything that I've got planned, I have to accept that it will take time to work my way back fully from injury, and I want to spend more time with my kids - without distractions.

When I look at myself these are the things that disappoint me most.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

During the Temperance challenge... I realized that "something within my life needed to change and it was me".....From physical changes to mental changes......

Life is such a journey and I am working on "living in the now" instead of worrying about the future.....Life is what you make it......I worked on not getting on the "pity pot of poor me boo hoo, boo hoo boo hoo hoo".  I am working on living one day at a time and enjoying one moment at a time.......That's all that I can do....I have to remember that my ability to stay alive is rolled up into "one breath at a time".

Thank you to each and everyone who stayed the course and completed this Whole9 Challenge journey.  What a wonderful journey it has been.  I hope to do it again one day as I know that I will learn even more about myself each time I embark upon a Challenge as such as this.

Kind Regards,

CLaws

Peace, Love, and Soul cybermates........Peace, Love, and Soul

• 2 weeks later...

Followed this thread a lot this fall, kinda jealous but also thinking ahead to 2016. Any Whole30ers looking to try this next year? I love the month-to-month focus aspect, would help me to focus on one of the 9 at at time instead of being overwhelmed and doing a what-the-heck quit. Start off with a January 1st Whole 30 and roll from there? 

Should I start a new thread? If there's interest, we'll start one! 

Followed this thread a lot this fall, kinda jealous but also thinking ahead to 2016. Any Whole30ers looking to try this next year? I love the month-to-month focus aspect, would help me to focus on one of the 9 at at time instead of being overwhelmed and doing a what-the-heck quit. Start off with a January 1st Whole 30 and roll from there? 

Great idea! I'm interested, LucieB!

• Moderators

I'm interested in doing this :)

While I'm thinking on this, my Whole30 Wholesome email hits the inbox. It's a sign!

OK, I'm game for a 2016 Whole9. I'll start a thread. I won't vanish, been Whole30-esque since 2011 and no signs of stopping here. 

I'm going to re-read the 2015 thread to pull ideas and goals. Would love to hear what others would like to get from a Whole9 too. 

While I'm thinking on this, my Whole30 Wholesome email hits the inbox. It's a sign!

OK, I'm game for a 2016 Whole9. I'll start a thread. I won't vanish, been Whole30-esque since 2011 and no signs of stopping here. 

I'm going to re-read the 2015 thread to pull ideas and goals. Would love to hear what others would like to get from a Whole9 too. 

I'm on the slowest of reintroductions . . . and this thread could help me continue my 2015 theme of "mindfulness" into 2016. I want my nutrition and eating to be integrated with my health and well being and productivity and other aspects of my life.

Archived