How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why I have a hard time planning out meals. I like to improvise...

Today's: M2: threw some leftover roast beef it's accompanying veg in a pot along with the broth veg left from supper last night and beet juice left from supper 2 nights ago. heated it up real good and sauteed some green beans in ghee and dill. Yummy!

ok this is a combo nutrition/sleep one. As I haven't been sleeping thru the night but getting up once for a potty break, I decided one thing different from last whole 60 a year ago was LaCroix. Now I know it is just carbonated water and natural flavor, but decided that just maybe something about the carbonation or flavoring was affecting me. Haven't had any since day before yesterday morning and last night slept well, I did wake up once, but went right back to sleep.. Will see how tonight goes. Oh, yea, Also, when trying a new recipe, only make a half batch so if you don't care for it you won't have to shovel it down for 3 days to get rid of it. Choco chili is not my taste for chili. I'm a southern chili girl not a northern chili girl...

I have finished my reintroductions and have learned about what I can from them in the short term.  Summary:  Refined corn and all dairy are bad.  Sugar-based foods (cake, cookies, candy, etc.) are bad.  Rice is bad.  Popcorn and just regular corn seem to be okay, but need to watch those and limit amounts given the reaction I had to cornmeal.  Other non-compliant foods -- wheat, oats, legumes, and small amounts of sugar in other foods (tomato soup, say) -- seem to be fine.  But -- there is a caveat.  I don't lose weight when I eat these foods, and I'm not at a healthy weight yet.  And definitely not at a healthy body composition, though it's much better than it was.

I still have plenty of investigation to do on the long term effects of foods, but those are going to be more subtle and harder to figure out.  For now, I'm fairly content that I know when I'm going to cause myself short-term pain.

I do wish I had an easy way to measure glucose levels.  I bet that'd tell me short-term things worth knowing.  

And today is DH's birthday.  We are going out to a genuinely nice restaurant for supper.  It will be pretty easy to eat well there, since they basically cook like I eat at home.  Beet greens with salmon, for example.  Or roasted brussels sprouts and a nice steak.  Except I've never made vanilla mashed parsnips, which is on the menu right now.  That might be interesting.  And because it's DH's birthday, there will need to be a dessert.  I don't object -- it's genuinely an occasion, and we will both enjoy it.  

ThyPeace, notes that at home we are finally finding watermelons, leading to better after-meal choices for him.

Just an update on DH's birthday dinner.  It was delicious.  I had a glass of white wine.  And Thai beef salad, pan-fried fluke, yummy vegetables cooked in butter, two pieces of the best bread I've had in years, more butter, a few bites of DH's scallops with beets, beet greens, and spaetzle,  And dessert! Devil's food cake, chocolate mousse, and various bits of intense flavors of chocolate and strawberry.  There were two things that had dairy -- the vanilla parsnip puree and the vanilla ice cream that came with the dessert.  I had tiny tastes of both and let DH have the rest.

It made me very, very happy.

And the best part was getting to see DH in daylight on a weeknight.

ThyPeace, we work a lot.

Good job Thy Peace!

Well, April first is drawing closer, something I have found out nutrition/sleep wise is that not drinking LaCroix had no affect on my sleeping and not getting up in the middle of the night. It's not like I have to go so bad I wake up, but, I wake up, lay there a bit and then think well, I might as well go to the bathroom. Anyway, I got to thinking this am as I lay in bed and felt my calf muscle in my left leg spasm... Not one to have an issue with muscle cramps, it interested and surprised me. I changed my magnesium supplement a while back to a chelated magnesium glycinate supplement. It is supposedly more bio-available and says one a day of 200 mg tablet. Was taking NOW mag malate 1000 mg, 2-3 times a day. So, realizing that it is likely I need for more magnesium.  I am going to take 2 -3 of these a day and get me some more malate and increase my greens. Bought frozen collards & kale, fresh kale mix power greens, red and golden beets with greens attached for now... Tonight I am treating my self to a raw milk bath w/ epsom salts. I plan to sleep like a baby who does not have to pee in the middle of the night! March nutrition affected my April sleep! :D

>Tonight I am treating my self to a raw milk bath w/ epsom salts

Like, you fill the whole tub with milk?

nope, don't have enough to do that, but would be lovely I think... I start running my bath water, as hot as I can stand, then I pour my milk in. Have about a gallon and a half. My "cows" production is down right now for calving preparation, so instead of getting a gallon a week I get a little over a half gallon, including cream. Perfect time for my whole100!  I skim off the cream for butter/ghee and use the milk for a spa/Cleopatra bath. Leaves the skin so nice and soft.

well, sleep was better, not best. I did wake up, but didn't get up and went back to sleep fairly quickly. Then slept til the alarm went off. No muscle spams. I think i am on the right track with the magnesium. Come on spring so I can get seeds in the ground and grow my own magnesium sources! consistently drinking an average of 50 oz of water a day. Much better than I was...

Loving the cooking! Saturday I threw together a delicious chicken stew using left overs and some broth I made from a chicken I roasted using Well Fed's The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat. Sunday, I made a modified Cinnamon Beef Stew using ground Bison and Sunday evening, my own Southern Girl Whole30 Chili. Love it! 69 days of Whole30 eating and I am not bored...

> I made a modified Cinnamon Beef Stew using ground Bison

I get bison whenever it's on sale; wish it was more often :)

> 69 days of Whole30 eating and I am not bored...

Gotta love a "new normal"! It's the SAD stuff that gets boring once you realize it's all just flour, corn, and sugar under the veneer.

Ok! Now we've got our good nutrition habits wired even tighter than before, it's time to move forward!

April we'll be focusing on sleep.

peaceful-sleeping-main.jpg

Dallas gives his specific tips on page 4 of this article.

My initial plans are 1. figure out how to darken my bedroom curtains and 2. work on shutting off my computer earlier in the evening.

Hurrah! Happy April! I love sleeping. 

My plan is:

- Be in bed by 10pm weeknights and not too much later at weekends. Wake up naturally without alarm (already do this).

- No caffeine after noon

- No glowing screens after sunset

- Darkened room, sleep mask, will experiment with ear plugs too

I'm so excited!

Got the darkened windows covered... :D

Picked up some clearance sale insulating room darkening curtains back in Dec. I have a layer of 1. mini blinds, 2 lace panel, 3. sheer, 4. Burgundy curtain. Open them up during the day. Didn't need the latest addition until recently. Some one built a new house across the street and put up a security light. Like we need more of these here in town. Would love to solve my room darkening issues by moving to the country... No night lights in my bedroom. I have an alarm clock that has red lighting instead of blue. It sits across the room and is angled so not easily viewed from the bed. I am not currently using it as an alarm, but an old cell phone laying beside the bed. Going back to using the alarm clock and getting the cell out of the room. I used to have this alarm clock that had a light on it and when it was close to time for the alarm to go off the light would come on and gradually get brighter. Probably would have been more affective, if I had also been eating right...

My initial plans are 1. use the alarm clock I have for days I have to get up and go to work.

2. get the cell phone out of my room which leaves the alarm clock as the only electronics in my room.

3. No computer time after 8 pm. I have a program on it that adjusts the blue lighting based on my locations sunrise and sunset. It's pretty cool and free. f.lux so what computer time in the evening will not be as affective, but will still need to get off early as by summer, it won't be getting dark til 10pm.

4. getting rid of the am coffee. last cup this am. Had already stopped drinking any caffeine after noon.

Oh, and rereading link Kirkor posted...

Off to take care of the alarm situation...

Happy April Sleep everyone!

I downloaded f.lux onto my computer just now.  Wow!  What a difference!  This is going to be really helpful.  And apparently I have all my lights too bright -- everything else in the room is much brighter than the computer screen, but that's all right.  I'll figure that out.  Now let's see if it works on my ipod... (Once I get it back from DH, that is.) 

I have made a few changes to get ready for the month of good sleep.  I stopped drinking the little caffeine I was having (a cup of black tea every morning) last week.  I did that after realizing that I was exhausted over the weekend because I hadn't had my tea.  And over the past few months I've stopped trying to work in the evenings after I get home.  I used to try to work for a couple of hours every evening because I was away from work because of my daughter's schedule.  These days, I find that I'm working between 80 and 90 hours every two weeks without that late evening work.  I'll never get to be fantastically successful working so few hours, but I can do a good job and make a good living that way.  For now, in this part of my life with everything else that's going on, I'll take it. 

I'm having my last few treats this week before re-starting the Whole30 next week.  Tonight I finally had pizza (without the cheese), which I'd been wanting.  You know, it didn't taste that good, and definitely didn't fill me up.  I'm starving right now -- a hunger I now recognize as a major lack of protein.  There's a cold burger in the fridge.  I may eat it.

There will be other non-compliant foods this weekend, of course.  I'm fine with that, but really looking forward to both the discipline and the feeling of wellbeing that goes with compliant eating.

ThyPeace, has managed to do short 15 minute workouts each morning this week.  Not much.  But also an infinite amount more than I was doing at 6:15am, so I'm happy about that.

I went upstairs at 9:45 last night and was in bed at 10pm.  DH climbed in bed at 10:40pm, which is when we both fell asleep.  I could easily have fallen asleep half an hour before that, but we try to fall asleep together.  He gets up at 5:50am, I get up at 6am.  That's probably the most weeknight sleep we've gotten in a month.  I would like to get to 8 hours of sleep every weeknight and 9-10 every weekend night.  We'll see if that's possible.  Interestingly, even though I'm 47, I don't seem to have the shortened sleep habits that other people my age start to talk about.  DH survives on 6-7 hours of sleep, but I know that he will sleep 8-9 or more if he has the time.  Perhaps we are both just continuously sleep deprived.  I'll be interested to see if we ever start waking up before our alarms!

ThyPeace, maybe when we retire.

my goal is to find the right amount of sleep... am fighting off a cold right now, so I spent yesterday getting some sleep in... but once I kick this, I need to find my happy sleep place.

My husband works overnights, so we already has a nice dark bedroom... I need stop with the electronics before bed and the TV..... :)

When I started focusing on the fact that I need to go to sleep at a decent hour and try and get quality sleep, I have been actually been doing it!  Lol  That is a huge accomplishment for me.  I can easily talk myself out of sleep because I have so many things to do and for me "prime" hours are between 6pm-midnight.  That's when I feel the most energized to get stuff done around the house or on the computer.  

I have been tempted to get on the computer to answer e-mails or turn on the TV before bed to catch up on my DVR's shows, but have resisted the temptation and instead set the remote aside and hunkered down for sleep.  Yay for small accomplishments!

Archived