How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something I found interesting... Been staying at my sister's with my mom while sis and hubs are out of town. So, Saturday, after a fitful sleep, I get up around 0500 and make me some breakfast and coffee for mom and I. I ended up drinking 2 cups of coconut/ghee coffee before, during and right after breakfast. Then that afternoon, my mom made another small pot of coffee and I drank a cup of coconut/ghee coffee while making supper. By 2000, I was getting ready for bed. Mom's lap top I was using was low on battery so I just shut it down and plugged it in in her room. I had made me a cup of Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night tea(it's compliant! :D) Went to the guest room, sipped my tea, did a few yoga moves for my back, which had been killing me... By the time I'd finished my tea and other things, it was probably around 2130, didn't look because I wasn't expecting my night to be so awesome... I slept thru the night and woke up around 0626, I think I might have roused up a bit sometime in the night, but not a fully awake thing... Oh, I also added some Dong Quai and Wild Yam supplement(because I woke up the other night with a hot flash, the first one since starting this Whole100 and quitting my NOW Female Balance cause it has rice flour in it), but had only one dose at supper and I have increased my chelated mag to 2, 3x day, total of 1200 mg(the mag malate I was taking 2 x day was 1000mg for a total of 2000 mg. Any who, I had 3 cups of coffee, 2 more than I normally drink in a day and I still slept the best I have in a long time...Could it have been the tea? I find this interesting and am going to see how this plays out. Not planning on increasing the coffee consumption, sticking with the original plan when I return home tonight. I am going to drink me a cup of Nighty Night each night for a while...

I wouldn't think the tea had anything to do with it ... you had sleep debt from the night before, and even though you had an additional coffee the half-life of caffeine is 6 hours so most would've been metabolized by the time you racked out.

I've had sleep debt for half my life and have been frustrated these past 73 days that I haven't gone to sleep and slept soundly thru the night like I was my first whole60 last year. So tonight will be a trial of sorts. I did have a total of 2 cups of coffee this morning and taking all my supplements, but didn't fix the tea tonight. So. we will see. Last night, was late getting to bed and had to be up at 0445. Slept like the dead tl the alarm went off. That's been pretty much the story of my nights before a work day for years. Here's to another sleep of the living dead tonight!

well apparently the tea did have something to do with my good sleep, if I go by last night. Up at p445, which wouldn't have been an issue if I had to go to work this morning. I don't and I could have slept for 7-8 hours again instead of the usual 4=5-6. anywho, today will be only one cup of coffee, my supplements and the nighty night tea before I go to bed and see if I can recreate my awesome sleep of Saturday night...Think today will be the last cup of coffee. Coffee beans are nearly gone. Enough for this last cup. Now I am going to see if I can go back to sleep.

had my alarm set for 540 this morning, went to bed around 930, so i could try and get my 8 hours in. My running friend texted me at 530 and said it was raining, so we skipped our morning run (she had an early morning appointment and wouldnt have time to shower). So I enjoyed another hour of sleep... giving me a solid 9 hours last night...

Had a busy weekend, so was happy for the sleep recharge. Have plans to lift weights this evening and then hopefully a good night's sleep again... 

note to self... DO NOT READ A GOOD FICTION BOOK BEFORE GOING TO BED!!!!!!. If you do make sure it is a very short story.... Yeah, that was an EPIC FAIL. Didn't put it down til I was done... 0100ish in the morning. One of the reasons I had stopped reading fictions. Get too wrapped up in the story. I did sleep 7 hours without interruption tho...and I drank the nighty night tea... Need to be more consistent with my experiment.

am doing pretty well with this challenge so far, even with last weekend's up way too early Saturday morning.

I went to bed pretty early last night, read a book and then feel asleep quickly. Slept very well and got up when my alarm went off this morning. am trying to get myself up when my alarm goes off and not to snooze... hard habit to break.

My old alarm clock died after only using it once... Have no clue why the alarm and other functions don't work while the clock still does. You can even set the alam but it doesn't go off. It could play ocean sounds and brook sounds for going to sleep by and no more. Came home Wed. night from Bible study and the time was flashing so apparently, the was a power disconnect at some point while I was gone. Reset the time and the alarm and went to bed. Woke up around 0330 and went back to sleep. Woke up at 0530 and nearly freaked. Alarm was set for 0445. So in the market for a new one. Those light ones are mighty expensive, but am debating getting one. In the mean time, I guess it is back to the old cell phone. Wonder, since it isn't activated, but the time still changes on it's own every spring and fall, how much of an interference would it be as long as I set it well before bedtime and don't look at it til am...

Frankly, I am not doing all that well on improving my sleep.  Focusing on it, though, makes clear how important eating in a compliant way is.  I need less sleep and sleep much better when I'm eating well.  (Yes, that means I've had some significantly bad food days, as I expected around Easter.)  

The last week I've been detoxing from sugar and grains.  It feels good to have them back out of my system.  I suspect it's actually total carbs that cause the lethargy for me, rather than a specific kind of carbs.  Whatever it is, back to healthier eating makes my body feel good.

DH and I are going to start a Whole30, or maybe already have.  I have a copy of It Starts With Food on my iPod, but that's a hard way to look at the summary of the rules.  I'm going to try to pull a series of reference items for him to look at here.  Obviously the basic plan is easy to find, but finding something about template meals and snacking will be harder.

ThyPeace, finished lunch five hours after breakfast and feels like it didn't last long enough.  The meal, that is.

good info mostly but his comment that a person would die after 2 days of no sleep is a lie. There have been several documented cases of sleep deprivation for a lot longer than 2 days. Like this one: My biggest pet peeve and loss of trust in info is when someone states misinformation in their talk/post/etc. It is often done to scare people into following their line of thinking. Not saying it was his intention, but for someone who is supposed to be educating others about sleep, it is important to be factual in all info or you lose credibility. As soon as I heard his statement my mind said immediately WHOA, that's not true, and remembered something I had read years ago about a disc jockey who did a sleep deprivation marathon to raise money/awareness, or something, don't remember all the details. Googled and found the story found the the teen I linked above. The disc jockey is mentioned in the above link.

Talk to a Navy Seal.   ;) 

You can try to drink coffee the first night but it is pretty much useless other than to keep you warm. If your doing a one night gig then coffee stimulation is good. What little bit of 250mg of caffeine is not going to keep you awake in Day Three. You stop moving on Day Three and 1000mg of caffeine is not going to move the needle much. Drink coffee or tea to keep you warm. That is all.

Ok, so I know I'm a bit late to the party but may I join you, 'cos I'm ALL about the sleep....... and the waking up to pee unfortunately.... on average two times a night....  :huh: 

I've been using a sleep cycle app for a while and my sleep quality is good, but the last night I slept through without wakening was in October - after a Tough Mudder. I'm not a big coffee drinker, and I don't drink a load of liquids late on, my room is pretty well blacked out (blinds & heavy tapestry curtains), there is very little noise from traffic and I'm at a loss for what to try next - other than a rubber mallet  :blink: 

I've never had a problem falling asleep (and I fall back to sleep immediately when I do waken) but I've been using the 'sleep aid' on the app this week to see if it would induce a different kind of sleep - it hasn't made a difference but I'm loving the sound of the waves! 

Archived