How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

and the waking up to pee unfortunately.... on average two times a night....  :huh: 

and I don't drink a load of liquids late on

I've been doing ZERO liquid after 7 for about a week now, and it's been working quite well!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been off and on, on not waking in the night.. Improving tho to fewer wakings. Seems to me I need to make sure I eat some starchy veg every day. Seems I sleep better when I do. Read where we females need those starchies for hormonal balance... Also, I'm back to taking my 20 oz tumbler with me at work so water consumption is back to my past amounts before the inspection at work. Think the body is finally getting used to the increase and settling down. Been getting in some earthing as the weather has given us some nice warm sunny days! Welcome jmcbn!

^Interesting read!

I recall when I lived in Greece that in the summer months we would take a siesta in the early afternoon for a few hrs, and our night time sleep would be shorter due to the social scene. I was younger of course but I recall wakening, from the afternoon sleeps in particular, completely refreshed. Those siesta's felt like a truly deep sleep and I loved them. Perhaps there's something in it.

I've been doing ZERO liquid after 7 for about a week now, and it's been working quite well!

So, last night my last liquids were at about 7:30 to wash down my tea. Not sure if it this, the fact that I was shattered, or a combination of the two, but I managed a solid 6hrs sleep last night before wakening up - *definite* result for me! Really gonna try & stick with this...

Everyone still on track with their nutrition as well as their sleep?  I'm in the midst of a Whole30 now so that's a given. :)

Also, any thought to next month's "healthy movement" focus?  I'm be sticking with my current lifting program that is going well.  Also started some new part-time work that I can walk to so that's a nice lil' round trip each day.

After my first night of no liquids after 7pm and the great sleep that followed I haven't been *just* so lucky the past few nights. Monday, granted, I trained from 18:00-19:15 so although I didn't have any liquid after about 19:30 there was a fair bit taken on board in the hour before so understandable.... Last night I managed 4.5hrs before wakening, which isn't great, but still better than previosuly so I'm sticking it out for a while...

I was late to the party so not sure which 'healthy movement' focuses you guys have covered so far, so I'll see what everyone else has to say.

We haven't really covered any yet, jmcbn.

Kirkor, Day 92 of 100 so still hanging in there on the nutrition.

Sleep wise, seems that 0430 is the time to get up for me any more, no matter what time I go to sleep. Old cat woke me up this am at 0430 wanting food or he just thought that since I get up around that time on work days I should get up at that time every day... got in about 6 hrs uninterrupted. Gonna be rough this summer when the sun doesn't set til around 10pm. If I double up on the food, will they let me sleep longer on my off days? Worth a try... Bad thing about my job, I'd rather wake up with the sun... Gonna get me one of those Phillips clocks as soon as I get paid Friday. See if that helps. Could get rid of the cat, but I can't. He was my dads cat, so I kinda need him right now and tho, he seems to be going thru a second child hood, he's pretty old, so I know he won't be around for too many more years. We'll figure this out...

I've been running up the ramps at work while pushing my work station, If I knew how to post pics on here I'd post a pic of it. Have hit the road so to speak a few times and did my 2.2 mile walk as the weather is starting to improve. Goal is to ramp it up to 3 days a week. Even managed to run a block or 2 each time. Used to run 3 miles 3 days a week and 5 miles once a week. Been about 13 years tho. I really loved it, looking forward to it again! Still gently increasing my hang time on the pull up bar as my shoulder improves and my gravity pull decreases and have a Total Gym stashed under my bed gathering dust. This weeks goals are to rid out and rearrange the bedroom so I can leave it out for ease of use. Small house limits space and rather not spend money on a gym membership. Yes, I am tight! Also have a Gazelle I pull out on rainy days and a bunch of yoga and exercise DVD's. Rototilled my garden area Saturday, definitely an upper body work out and could tell it Monday, by Tuesday I was back to normal. Gardening will be a part of my healthy movements. I suspect, the more healthy movement, the better I'll sleep too.

cleaning rearranging and ridding out my bedroom. Changed the b/u battery in my alarm clock and guess what? The alarm and sleep function is now working. Weird that that would have anything to do with it. It's electric. Anywho, still gonna get that Phillips sun clock and put this one in the guest room...

Sleep has still not been a great success for me, but I am getting at least 6 1/2 hours every night.  It will have to do for now.  Healthy movement is next?  I like that one.  I think I will do better at quantifiable goals there, which is what I was missing with the sleep. 

There was a night with a thunderstorm this week.  Near as I can figure, every family in the entire neighborhood ended up with the kids in bed with the parents.  It was downright loud.

ThyPeace, fell back to sleep as soon as it quieted down, and didn't have to stand up.  That's good -- if my toes don't wake up, my head feels better in the morning.

Sleep for me was crap again last night - awake every two hours - and yet the quality of it (according to my phone app) was high @ 85%... That was with no liquids after 7pm, but funnily enough I didn't use the 'sleep aid' on my phone as the sound wouldn't work (something to do with using the headphones on it at the gym) so I wonder if that's actually helping... Liquids will have to be taken on board a bit later tonight as I train on a Friday evening - I guess I will just have to suck it & see as the saying goes.

I used the one on my alarm clock and went to bed with the sound of the ocean. Woke up about a half hour before the alarm went off. It only plays for about an hour. Don't have one of the gadgets that tells how well I slept, but I feel I slept well, other than felling like I need a nap, but I think that could be because I have my allergies fired up from all the cleaning I have been doing.

No, no nap, ended up having to work a couple extras hours than I'd anticipated, so that cut in to my snooze time. But it's the weekend now so I'm sure I'll be able to sneak a nap at some point "just 'cuz"!

I just typed up a post and some how lost it! Any way, basically, I think I have found a happy place for sleep. Went to bed around 10ish last night. Set the ocean sounds on my clock and browsed a decor magazine then crashed. Awoke around 4 but went right back to sleep. Awoke again around 6 to the sound of two kitties wrestling. They could have waited til the sun was a bit higher in the sky before they started to party! Lay there a bit and decided I was a wake, so I might as well get up!

Looked at the different Phillips wake up lights and have decided to get the one that does the most. Dusk and dawn lighting and different nature sounds that play for alarm sound. It is a bit pricy, BUT, I am worth it! It's not like I am spending my money on some useless bauble that will make me feel good for just a moment in time. This to help me on my path to real health...

After 95 days of whole30 nutrition and some better nights sleep, I think I have hit the Tiger Blood stage! Day 3 of the home overhaul! I rearranged my bedroom and placed the bed Feng Shui. Now, I am not saying this has been the key to my sleep success, but, I definitely like my bedroom better...

I have eaten starchy carbs for M3 veg the past few days as well. I have actually increased the amount of starchy carbs a bit over all, at least 1 serving a day, sometimes 2. Some shredded carrot in my egg scramble for M1, beets, sweet potato, white potato. One thing I have noticed is that white potatoes really makes me sleepy. I am definitely limiting them to M3 meals on occasion. I think, no more than once a week.  Now back to my spring fever cleanin', rearrangin' and riddin'! Keep up the good work everyone!

Cottagequeen, that sounds like tiger blood! I need to declutter and rearrange stuff at home too. I was really into the feng shui principles for a while but haven't properly thought about it since we moved.

My sleep focus month hasn't been as focused as it could have been. Not to say I haven't slept well, I mostly have, but I haven't implemented the improvements I planned (specifically around no-electronics bedtime). 

I'm a bit confused - thought May would be stress management but are we doing healthy movement?

If so, that will suit me very well. I was unwell for a couple of weeks and that knocked what little exercise I was doing out of the window, and I need to get moving again. Weather is nicer now so no excuses! I bought a kettlebell to make a change from running and bodyweight exercises.

Weekly plan is to do: 3 x 20min kettlebell + bodyweight workouts, 1-2 x sprints workouts, 1 x timed 5k run (there's one in my local park on Saturday mornings) or a longer slow run. Stretching/foam roller session on rest days. Walk around every day, if weather is no good for a walk at lunchtime then walk up and down the stairs for a bit. Do belly dance practice at home sometimes and go to class again (need to check when it starts).

Cottagequeen, that sounds like tiger blood! I need to declutter and rearrange stuff at home too. I was really into the feng shui principles for a while but haven't properly thought about it since we moved.

My sleep focus month hasn't been as focused as it could have been. Not to say I haven't slept well, I mostly have, but I haven't implemented the improvements I planned (specifically around no-electronics bedtime). 

I'm a bit confused - thought May would be stress management but are we doing healthy movement?

If so, that will suit me very well. I was unwell for a couple of weeks and that knocked what little exercise I was doing out of the window, and I need to get moving again. Weather is nicer now so no excuses! I bought a kettlebell to make a change from running and bodyweight exercises.

Weekly plan is to do: 3 x 20min kettlebell + bodyweight workouts, 1-2 x sprints workouts, 1 x timed 5k run (there's one in my local park on Saturday mornings) or a longer slow run. Stretching/foam roller session on rest days. Walk around every day, if weather is no good for a walk at lunchtime then walk up and down the stairs for a bit. Do belly dance practice at home sometimes and go to class again (need to check when it starts).

Ytu, yep tiger blood! took me 3 months to hit it this time. Had it within 2 months my first go round, Fell of the bus a wallowed in the mire during my reintro, a real mess, but a great lesson learned! Keep working on implementing you sleep improvement plan! I know these tech items just suck us in! Krosario posted a plan on day 2. That is what we are going by even tho we haven't heard from Krosario. Hope they are ok!

This is awesome!! I am so excited to have you guys join me! Below is what I tentatively have planned for each month, but this my change. However, I know my for sure March will be nutrition and April will be sleep. You can follow along with my path or feel free to do your own so that it fits your needs. And a weekly check in sounds perfect! I may also start an Instagram account under beautifully simple so others can follow along with my journey. I'll post my account name once I get it set up!! Thank you guys for joining me!!

March                Nutrition (Whole30)

April                   Sleep

May                   Healthy Movement

June                  Fun & Play

July                   Stress Management

August              Socialization

September        Natural Environment

October             Personal Growth

November         Temperance

Ytu, here's the list

I originally suggested Stress Management jst by pulling it out of a hat, but then krosario ( who started this thread) laid out her idea for the 9 months in this post: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25462-how-about-a-whole9-challenge/page-2#entry270279

However, krosario hasn't been on the forum SINCE!  :angry:

But, whatever  :rolleyes: I guess

My wallpaper matches krosario's schedule so we can stick with that.

^Funnily enough I had a conversation along these lines with my eldest son yesterday about online friends...

My sleep hasn't been marvellous, but it *is* improving. What I have noticed is that the nights that I can't get the sound to work on my phone alarm for the sleep aid to function that I'm not sleeping as soundly. I didn't think it would have a bearing on the quality of my sleep, more just the speed at which I'd get there - I really should get that phone upgrade I'm due!

So for 'healthy movement' are we just to focus on improving our current activity levels? Or to set specific goals?

^Funnily enough I had a conversation along these lines with my eldest son yesterday about online friends...

My sleep hasn't been marvellous, but it *is* improving. What I have noticed is that the nights that I can't get the sound to work on my phone alarm for the sleep aid to function that I'm not sleeping as soundly. I didn't think it would have a bearing on the quality of my sleep, more just the speed at which I'd get there - I really should get that phone upgrade I'm due!

So for 'healthy movement' are we just to focus on improving our current activity levels? Or to set specific goals?

I have a little battery operated radio...el cheapo with an antenna.  I can bounce off all kinds of signals during the night and pick up Mexico.  It's bizarre but if I can't sleep, I tune into some fuzzy station that bounces in and out and I go right to sleep.  It's the same effect as yours but on the cheap.

I have a little battery operated radio...el cheapo with an antenna.  I can bounce off all kinds of signals during the night and pick up Mexico.  It's bizarre but if I can't sleep, I tune into some fuzzy station that bounces in and out and I go right to sleep.  It's the same effect as yours but on the cheap.

My phone's cheap too LOL hence the need for an upgrade!  :D 

That said I've all kinds of noise choices, including pink noise and brown - I'd only ever heard of white...

Archived