How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

Good question jmcbn, I think, what ever it is that you need to kick up you own personal healthy movement program :ph34r: . For me, anything I do on my off days is improving my healthy movement. For to long, I was a slug when I wasn't at work. Didn't have a choice at work... I do have a plan, need to go back and look over my post about it as a reminder... :huh:

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for 'healthy movement' are we just to focus on improving our current activity levels? Or to set specific goals?

Good question jmcbn, I think, what ever it is that you need to kick up you own personal healthy movement program :ph34r:

Healthy movement rounds out the "top 3" so let's make sure really do well next month!

Nutrition, Sleep, and Healthy Movement remain as three of the most important building blocks for your Whole9 Life. In fact, we’ve always put them in that exact order of priority—first, build a base of health with solid nutrition. Then, ensure adequate restorative sleep. Finally, add healthy movement in a way that’s Smart—befitting your individual context. (This means you don’t get your butt up at 5 a.m. to run sprints if you only got six hours of sleep. Stay in bed. Really.)

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/

A good exercise resource:

http://whole9life.com/2013/04/the-whole9-five-movements-series-part-1-2/

...we'll discuss it more in the weeks to come, obvs!

Ok, I've an idea about what a part of mine will be... I've a 14 day training programme (with options to progress) written specifically for me alternating it's focus from strength to power, incorporating movement, active recovery, cardio etc. Lately I've been going back to old lifting routines or picking out the days from the programme that I like rather than sticking with it day by day to see the full benefits.... Looks like 1st May is the day I commit to it fully again, like it or not.

row.jpg

new alarm will be here today. Now if I could find a program that shuts my computer off at a certain time and won't let me back on til a certain time... :D Sleep will be something I am going to be working on for quite a while. Like a little kid, I fight going to bed esp when I have to work the next day. SIGH... So will trial this clock and see if it benefits me. I have been sleeping thru the night better here lately, all the work out I've been getting from weight lifting(furniture)?

Sleep is improving gradually for me. I'm not sleeping through, but I am getting closer to 4hrs from my heading hitting the pillow until I first waken to use the loo rather than my previous two. I've still a ways to go but I'm sticking with the sleep aid, and the no liquids after 7pm (when possible) rule. Funnily enough my worst nights sleep seems to be a Wednesday when I train in the evening after work, & then get up early on a Thursday to train before work - my best is always a Thursday, catching up after Wednesday's lack of sleep.

Ok folks, last night of April! Hope you're not reading this because you've already turned off the computer and are either in bed already or are in "wind down" mode! :D

Let's make this our best night of sleep yet!!

Picked this book up for $1 at the used bookstore the other day, meant to share it with y'all here:

VhoDloR.jpg

I got some value out of it --- there's chapters on dealing with insomnia, relaxation & meditation exercises, massage, and some cool stuff on the sleep cycles as they relate to REM, dreams, etc.

Great find Kirkor! Last 2 nights of April were killer. My mom fell down basement stairs Wed. afternoon so have been at the hospital pretty much since then. Only got a couple hours sleep Wed. night and that was on a love seat size sofa in the waiting room. Lucky to have had that... Did get about an hour and a half nap in my own bed yesterday am. Set up my Wake Up alarm clock last night. used the go to sleep mode, which I believe is going to make it worth buying this model... Actually woke up 40 minutes before the alarm was set to wake. Got about 7 hours of sleep and feel really well considering... Nutrition wise, stayed compliant the last 2 days of my Whole100. It was interesting... Went from around noon on Wed. to about 2330 Wed night on my M2 meal and water. Got back home for a bit Wed. night at 2330 ish. Ate some Epic bites and some veg. Went back to hospital. Sis and I went to the cafe for breakfast, figured we should be able to cobble us something together. Checked and the oil spray they use to cook with is mostly soy. We got 6 hard boiled eggs to containers of carrot/celery sticks and split and orange a cup of coffee w/coconut oil and ghee. I thru a few things in a bag before going back and a portable coffee cup with some butter and ghee was one thing I thought of, just in case... After seeing 2 of the 3 Dr. that were on mom's case, we left her to rest and we went home to get a nap. Packed a kit with carrot sticks, pkg of epic bites, mac nut oil and balsamic vinegar, my coffee cup that was still about half full from breakfast and my 20 oz tumbler for my water. Glad I packed the balsamic! I thought the olive oil they had on salad bar was not 100%, but it was, but the balsamic wasn't comp. So, for M2, we had salad bar with assorted veg, nuts, olives, egg and epic bites. My sis brought a couple LaCroix and nuts and Epic bites. For  M3, went to 5Guys and got us burger bowl. If you tell them it's for an allergy, they wil use fresh gloves when they prepare it so no contamination from bread or fries/peanut oil... with some carrot sticks and the last couple pieces of the breakfast orange and some cashews, we nailed it during a stressful event! So, now to increase focus on healthy movements. Headed back to hospital for a bit. can get some stair climbing in while there...

Just found this thread and would love to join in. :)

Am day seven of a food restart after getting to days 17-19 before declaring my minor off-roading to be enough to restart. I have already done one complete W30 so this second was about nixing my bad habits, which reasserted themselves on those days, hence the restart.

Looks like I found the thread on a fortuitous day as the next focus begins.

Well my day 1 of healthy movement didn't go as well as planned for me. I'd a mad day at work resulting in me getting out over an hour late which ate into my training time.

However - seeing as how I'd made the committment I didn't ditch training *altogether* and did what I could in the time I had left. Saturday's are much less of a rush for me so I'll make up it tomorrow - promise!!

Sleep is improving slowly, but surely.

Hello!

I'd like to participate here, too. I lurked a bit during April while focusing on sleep for those 30 days. I have established some new habits and have been sleeping unbelievably well.

I've mapped out a Healthy Movement program for the week, beginning today. I have a Kettlebell "studio" at home; I live near a beautiful bicycle path along a river; we have nearly 300 sunny days a year. I have no excuses.

Workout is done. Tomorrow is a work day and I'll take a walk during my lunch break.

Wow, I'd say so!

How's your mom?

She's amazing! She broke both bones in her right arm, has a 7cm laceration on the back of her head, numerous bruises, and had 2 small bleeds in her head. They did a full body CT scan Wed eve to make sure there were no internal injuries or other broken bones. Zip, just the 2 small bleeds, but they felt positive about the outcomes because she was conscious and pretty well oriented. She Knew who we were and who she was, but didn't know where she was right after the fall, what day it was or who the president was. When I told her where she was, she was able to tell me where her meds were even tho she couldn't remember where the printed list was, She couldn't remember what happened, but as time past, things started to come back.  So, they repeated the CT around 0130 on Thur am, just to make sure the bleeds weren't getting worse. By noon Thur she was cleared for surgery on her arm. Getting her arm fixed made a huge difference in her. She was remembering more by Thur., but still not sure how she ended up falling down the basement stairs. We all figure due to being tired after there trip back to KY the previous week, she went one door to far when she intended to go in the laundry to throw something away. Basement door is now always locked instead of only when BIL's mom is there. She has dementia.

Mom is doing so well, they moved her to the Rehab unit to work with her on learning how to do things with her left hand instead of the right and do some more extensive testing on cognitive to make sure they aren't missing anything there. She did a pretty decent job of feeding herself lunch today with her left hand, but trying to sign some papers while we were gone, was slow going. She is 82 y/o and a miracle. Karen and I had to laugh, yesterday she dozed off and then woke up making a comment about no bread and no :"something else", we can't remember exactly, but thought it funny that she must have been dreaming about Whole30... She hears it a lot from Karen and I! Rehab Dr says that she could be back home within a week. Knowing what all could have been wrong with her from that fall, well, as she keeps saying, "God has been merciful to me" Everyone that has taken care of her has been amazed that there were no more injuries than that. Told her that NOW I know where I got my hard head from... :lol: I am so relieved...

Basic stuff:

Squat

http://www.stack.com/2015/02/03/third-world-squat/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-squat-properly

(p.s. the basic squat position is so essential that my main man Kelly Starrett featured it in his very first episode of the Mobility WOD!)

&

Hang

http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-grok-hang/

Good articles kirkor & great timing - my program today had a fair amount of squat variants. I'm currently doing progressive pistol squats and we use grok squats, goblet squats & wall squats as part of the warm-up.

I don't hang nearly as much as I should though.

Do you follow Frank Medrano or Al Kavadlo at all? Both amazing to watch doing any bodyweight movements....

I got off to a rocky start with May and Healthy Movement.

The same happened with April and Sleep Quality, but after the first few days, I got it right and we established some life-long habits.

Yesterday, I did my KB workout as planned. Today is a rest day, but it's also my cook-up day, and I'll need a break in there. The weather will be nice for a bike ride along the river.

Thanks Kirkor! The one link for hangs has some really good info for me and my shoulder issue. Lunges are something I hate doing, I worry about my knees and am not real sure of the proper technique.You have some good links for those?

I have an arthritic problem in my right big toe joint & lunges hurt when my right foot is to the rear so I do bulgarian split lunges/squats with the rear foot rested on a bench. I don't think they isolate the muscles just as much as a full walking lunge for instance, but it's better than nothing.

bulgarsplitsquatB.jpg

Split squats can be good, also reverse lunges I think can help with the cue of "don't let your knee go past your toe" thing. The kettlebell reverse lunge with a passthrough is a great stand-in-one-place exercise that can work ya:

How's everyone getting on with their healthy movements?

I'm actually enjoying getting back to my old program and am finding that even though I've been winging it these past few months & sticking to what I'm comfortable with I've still made progress in both strength & flexibility/mobility. I have that good ache in my muscles that tells me I'm pushing just enough and I'm feeling energised - even my sleep is improving!

Today is one of the days I like least on my program, and I'll be glad when I'm done as I've 100 of these bad boys to notch up before bedtime - The Turkish Get Up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vWKMuDH528

^^^^cool!^^^^ It's slow going, but improvement from last month. Been getting 8 hrs sleep with no wake ups for about a week now. The Hang info from Kirkor has helped me and I am already noticing improvement in my left shoulder in just a few days. Not up to a full 7 minuted a day yet. On vaca this week so will be interesting how things go when I am back to work and pushing my workstation around again.

Archived