How about a Whole9 Challenge?

krosario

I was thinking about doing a Whole9 challenge, where I take 30 days to focus on each of Whole9's 9 factors for optimal health. For example, March would focus on nutrition, or a Whole30. April would focus on sleep. May would focus on stress management and so on. Do I have anyone that would like to join me?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm game, too. Do you already have the focuses for each month?

I'm on day 47, and I'm doing a light reintro of dairy and sprouted grain to see how i react today, and then on Saturday for the sprouted grain, but outside those two things just to see the reactions, i'm W30 and would like to focus on sleep and more!!

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/

March: Nutrition, including an official Whole30

http://9life.co/newiswf

April: Sleep

http://whole9life.com/2011/12/sleep-and-exercise/

May: Stress Management

http://whole9life.com/2011/11/stress-addiction-1/

Others: Fun & Play, Socialization, Natural Environment, Personal Growth, Temperance, Healthy Movement

The full 9 takes us through November --- then December can be a celebration month for our amazing 2015!!

Kirkor, Reading thru the links. Thanks, I never thought of myself as a type A, but I answered yes to 3 of the questions, and not long ago it would have been more. Type A or not, I am apparently a stress junkie...

Krosario, yes! This is the road I need to take. Thank you for starting this.

So, for me, as I am already 30+ days into the nutrition part, March will be a continuation with some experimentation. The first 30, I had white potatoes in the mix of veggies. Seems it took almost the whole30 to hit the tiger blood this time. So, March Nutrition will be a tossing of white potatoes and monitoring how other AIP foods affect me. :ph34r:

I am excited!

Oh great, I don't need to worry about exercising until November! (Just kidding.)

Actually that's a great time for an exercise challenge since that's the time of year I tend to become completely inactive and huddle indoors.

So March and nutrition.  Since I have finished my Whole30 and am doing reintroduction now, I will happily cheer everyone on, and comment on my own nutritional stuff.  Does that work?

I also sincerely believe that Fun has to be a part of just about everything we do.  So I'm wondering.  What's fun about a Whole30?  Anyone have really fun foods they enjoyed while doing a Whole30?

ThyPeace, laughter every single day.  Good stuff.

• Administrators

Oh, yes, I just ate fun for lunch!  I call it "Kitchen Sink Cauli Rice" but it's actually based loosely on Well Fed Rice Pilaf.  This time I used a whole sweet onion diced up and about a cup combined of: cranberries, currants, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds.  Sauteed it all in lard for awhile and then added about 6 cups (one very large) shredded cauliflower.  For the seasoning I used cinnamon, garlic, salt and pepper and cumin.

I do not normally eat any fruit and I especially do not eat dried fruit so when I do make this dish it is fun and a good texture and delicious little pops of flavour.

My other "fun" thing that I like to eat is "tapas" plates...which is essentially whatever little bits and bobs I have leftover in the fridge, usually dipped in a bit of mayo or sunshine sauce.

I'm in, I think this would be good for me. Is there a group plan or do we just do our own thing?

March starts with nutrition, whole30. April sleep, May stress management to start. Since I am already working on a whole100, March will be looking at different foods affect me, ie. AIP, FODMAPS, low histamine. Hopefully Krosario will check back in, As OP, they get the lead on this I would think...

I will be following! I am doing my re-intro now. But definitely want to focus on all 9 aspects. I may jump in for April, but will plug my thoughts and ideas in for everyone doing the Whole30. I just completed mine, but will be following most of the rules after I complete my re-intro! :) Good luck! Whole30 is one of the best things that ever happened to me!

Ya, I think factoring in all 9 throughout the year is important; we'll just put particular emphasis on specific ones during those "theme" months.

How about we aim for a weekly check-in at least, to talk about how we've incorporated that month's theme?

For March, I'll be continuing my bike riding of a nearly Whole30 keto diet ... no dairy except for some whey I need to use up, no alcohol, etc.

Seems like a weekly check in is great.  Boy I'm looking forward to April and sleep -- there will be a much reduced chance of major weather events and sick kids at that point!

For now I'll just say that today is the first day of reintroduction for me.  Posted about it on the reintroduction thread I started, and I invite any others with reintroduction experiences to post there!

ThyPeace, legumes including peanuts.  So far the refried beans tasted awesome and the peanut butter was kind of meh.

This is awesome!! I am so excited to have you guys join me! Below is what I tentatively have planned for each month, but this my change. However, I know my for sure March will be nutrition and April will be sleep. You can follow along with my path or feel free to do your own so that it fits your needs. And a weekly check in sounds perfect! I may also start an Instagram account under beautifully simple so others can follow along with my journey. I'll post my account name once I get it set up!! Thank you guys for joining me!!

March                Nutrition (Whole30)

April                   Sleep

May                   Healthy Movement

June                  Fun & Play

July                   Stress Management

August              Socialization

September        Natural Environment

October             Personal Growth

November         Temperance

All righty then! Let's get this party started! Can you tell I've been doing this nutrition thingy for a bit... Day 40 of a whole100, unless I feel all my issues are well under control then I may start a slow, slow, roll reintro before the 100 day mark. I really feel grrrrrreat!!! Starting off this March first with several inches of snow on top of what was already there and more to come, a phone call from work telling me they shouldn't need me til 3pm and energy to conquer some things. 

Archived