Do I need to tweak this??

AprilLynne

I am starting a new Whole30. The last time I concentrated on eating the right foods and eliminating the "bad" ones. I admittedly didn't pay a lot of attention to portions. This time I want to do that as well. Here is a normal day. Am I to heavy on the fats, etc? Is eating sweet potatoes almost daily too much?

Meal #1 - veggies stir fried in coconut oil, 2 eggs, avocado

Meal #2 - sweet potatoes topped with veggies and meat sauted in coconut oil and topped with homemade Cilantro-Lime dressing and avocado

Meal #3 - sometimes a repeat of Meal #2 with different meat and veggies, or a plate of protein, veggies and sometimes a little fruit.

Thanks!!!!

Other than eggs, I can't tell portion sizes from what you listed.

When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. For most folks, that's at least 3 eggs.

Other proteins, the serving is 1-2 palms.

Veggies, 1-3 cups per meal. If you have a starchy veg, use a fist-sized amount. Sweet potatoes daily is fine.

Fats, see the meal template for appropriate portions. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Beyond all that, use satiety to guide your tweaking. You want to get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Oops! For clarity -

Meal #1 - veggies (1 c.) stir fried in coconut oil (1 thumb), 2 eggs, avocado (1/4 - 1/2)

Meal #2 - sweet potatoes (1 medium size) topped with veggies (1C.) and meat (1/2 c. Cubed) sauted in coconut oil (1 thumb) and topped with homemade Cilantro-Lime dressing (1/4 c.) and avocado (1/4 -1/2)

Meal #3 - sometimes a repeat of Meal #2 with different meat and veggies, or a plate of protein, veggies and sometimes a little fruit.

Ok. That's all pretty much what I already knew. So my sweet potato amount is ok and I should drop the dressing and avocado, because I'm cooking my veggies in about a thumb of coconut oil?

Sweet potato is fine.

On the fats, when you saute, much of the cooking oil stays behind in the pan, so you may need to account for that by adding fat after cooking.

I don't know how to be more clear about this: focus on your satiety and use that to guide you in whether your portion sizes need to be tweaked.  

Ha!  Don't worry!!  I understand the satiety part, and that's never really been an issue.  Just want to make sure that it's not coming through excess fat.  Wasn't quite sure were the sweet potato fell into all of it, and was thinking maybe I was overdoing it on the fat portion with the avocado AND dressing, but apparently not, and  I will just go with it :o)

Archived