Microwaving your food

TheDuchess

I don't have a copy of ISWF at this point but I have been reading and researching and have zeroed in on making and freezing my meals ahead of time as my best shot at success.  One thing that concerns me is that so many recipes call for microwaving the food either during prep or as a means to reheat it.  Of course I can use my oven to reheat things (but it will take longer) but I will have to use my noggin (NO!!!!!!!!) to figure out how to do things like make spaghetti squash without the microwave since I assume that steaming it will add too much water.  My understanding from reading other food blogs is that microwaving destroys a portion of the nutrition present in food and if I am going to all this trouble I want every last micro nutrient! 

What is the Whole30 stand on microwaves?

Also can I have non aluminum baking soda?  I take it to calm my angry bladder- I have a condition called interstitial cystitis that is flared and inflamed by acid and baking soda in water is one of the least invasive things I can do to calm it down.

thanks for the help

• Moderators

As Tom and Chris said, microwaving food is fine on W30. However, in my opinion spaghetti squash tastes better roasted in the oven anyway. So are lots of other veggies too, by the way.

For the squash -- preheat oven to 400. Cut squash in half long ways. Scoop out the seeds. Rub oil or ghee or other cooking fat on the cut side and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and if you like, garlic and onion powder. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place squash cut side down on baking sheet. Some recipes say sprinkle water on the baking sheet around it, but I can't tell that it makes much difference. Put in oven for around 20 minutes. You can tell it's done by pressing gently on the squash with a spoon, it will be soft enough to have some give to it.

And have a whole-house water filter so you don't absorb chlorine during showers, don't store your food in plastic, don't use electronics after sundown, use crystal deodorant, don't wear shoes aka foot coffins, etc etc etc ;-)

I did finally toss my microwave, yeah I know there are peeps who say it's bad and peeps who don't. My issue with the whole microwave thing is... my food cooled off to fast for my taste. Maybe it is just a psyche thing. I had one for a long time, tended to only use it for heating up microwave meals, you know, lean cuisine, etc. then I quit those and for a while I used it to heat water for tea, til I discovered that my hot tea seemed to stay hot longer when I used hot water from the stove. So, maybe it took a bit more than a minute to get hot, it stayed hot longer than a "minute" too. So, microwave simply became a very large space taking, energy sucking timer... One day, I got tired of it's uselessness, bought a convection/toaster oven and got rid of the large timer.. :D For me, cooking my meals at the time I want to eat, and reheating leftovers on the stove or in the convection oven (that also defrosts better than the micro)  :ph34r:  works well. You have to do what works for you.

• Administrators

We barely use our microwave either, mostly just to reheat the dog's food (we home cook her food). I prefer the texture and appearance of foods that are reheated in a frying pan on the stove as opposed to the microwave. At work I usually just eat my lunch cold just because I hate what microwaves do to food (scalding hot on the edges, cold in the middle).

Is the benefit tangible? Probably not.....maybe in a lab or under a microscope. But I just think....I took the time to dream up, buy and prepare this beautiful food, I can spend 2 minutes heating up leftovers in my ceramic frying pan. :)

Archived