"Chinese Food Effect"?

EmilyK

So, this question is something my husband is experiencing--I think it's either that he's not eating enough fat or just his perception of "hunger" is distorted since we're only on day 5.  But he described our meals this week so far as having the "Chinese food effect" for him, where he gets full and then is hungry 10 minutes later.  I've noticed that a little myself but have been able to trace it back more to wanting to eat/craving rather than legitimate hunger for more food.

Without meal-log specifics (which I can't fully provide), does anyone have any insight?  (I know that's a tall order without specifics of what and when he's been eating.  I can provide some broad info right now, and get that info if I really need it.)

Thank you all so much!

• Administrators

It's pretty hard to give feedback without knowing what you folks have been eating.  

Some general recommendations:

• make sure he is eating to the template (linked below in my signature) to his palm and thumb sizes.  He can also eat to the higher end of the template
  • if eating salad greens, you need to eat an awful lot of them, suggest also getting a couple cups of cooked veggies in
  • recommend eating at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggies per day, more if he feels he needs it
  • if he's working out, ensuring that pre and post workout meals are eaten in addition to the regular meals
  • no snacking on fruits and nuts alone, that causes blood sugars to stay erratic and can keep the "hungry every two hours" feeling alive
  • drink 1/2 ounce of water per pound of bodyweight

Try to give us some more specific info if you want some more specific feedback.  ;)

Well, I can tell you what I've been eating but it's not exactly the same stuff.  ;)  He has been eating a lot of salad greens, without any dressing because he's weird.  And I worry that it may just be that he's not eating enough overall, although he has commented that he is feeling a LOT better and more energetic overall in the last couple of days which is heartening.  He comes from a background of pretty much constant sugary snacking so I wonder if a lot of it is actually just wanting to eat as opposed to actually being hungry.

I know he's getting at least two good meals in when I cook and serve for him.  I'm making sure he's eating potatoes/carrots/sweet potatoes/etc. at least once a day.  I've smacked his hand a couple of times about snacking on fruit, not sure if he's listening or not but I do know we're out of oranges and apples now so that hasn't been an issue yesterday or today.  I'm trying to teach him how to do this "alone" as opposed to just shouldering responsibility for feeding him myself, but I'm not sure how much is sticking.  I didn't pack his lunch for today so I'm not sure what he ate for lunch.

• Moderators

I find that eating fruit sets me up to get hungry quicker. I guess it is my body's response to the sugar. 

Wilting spinach is a good exercise for learning that you have to eat an enormous volume of raw salad to have gotten much nutrition. Big handfuls of spinach become a few forks full after wilting. People who eat a lot of salads run the risk of under-eating because we become satisfied after all the effort to eat the salad, but have not actually achieved much in terms of food volume. 

Thanks, Tom.  I will see if I can steer him next week toward additional veggies than just greens.  He seems to be "better" after he eats meals that I both cook and plate for him, so he may just be undereating when he's responsible for his own portions.  This seems to be the biggest issue when he eats his workday lunches.

EmilyK, I think what your husband is experiencing goes back to your earlier post regarding differentiating hunger vs. cravings. If he's genuinely hungry 10 minutes after eating a meal, does he want seconds of the same food? If yes, it means he should probably up/tweak the portions. Or rather does he have a bit of an empty feeling in his stomach feeling for "more" but not sure what? I definitely found that my sense of "fullness" and satiation changed during my whole30. I'm Chinese so I'm an expert on the Chinese Food effect. :)

Full disclosure I'm only a little bit ahead of you. I'm on Day 14. Personally, the sense of "fullness" that I had prior to whole 30 was often grain or carb based (barley, pasta, rice). A carb belly of fullness. Getting my body off or away from those foods = junkie-like detox reactions. My body was/is jonesing or chasing that heavier/"more" sense of satiation. It doesn't want another stinkin' serving of salmon or plain chicken. It wants a sugar or carb high. I recognize that dragon every time it rears its head and I give a big thump on the noggin.

Another tip on meals: try adding more cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli. They're all nutrient dense and have a satisfyingly filling effect.

Archived