10 days post Whole30 and no weight loss

jdevany1031

So I finished my Whole30 very sucessfully, lost 13 lbs, many inches, had excellent bloodwork and huge NSV's. Great! Decided to keep going, not really counting days so to speak, just continuing to eat the Whole30 way until I get to where I want to be size wise. Well, I'm 10 days post Whole30 and have not lost another pound. I have not changed a thing, have not cheated once, am still eating what I was the first 30 days. I have 75 lbs to lose, so it's not like I'm near an acceptable goal weight for my body. What's up with this? Anyone have similar experiences?

• Moderators

Weight loss is not linear, or steady, or predictable. Your weight can vary by several pounds over the course of one day. It may go up and down based on what you've eaten, hormonal stuff, whether you've gone to the bathroom before you weighed, water retention, any number of things, really.

Try not to focus on the scale, just eat the food you know is healthy, eat enough of it that you're not hungry, and try not to stress.

I find that I get much less stressed over this if I weigh myself no more than once a month. It's so much easier to trust the process if I'm not seeing that number every week like I used to. When I weighed weekly, if I had a good week and lost weight, I might feel great, but I would sometimes get a little cocky about it and decide that meant I could relax a little and not watch what I was eating as closely. If I had a bad week and gained weight, I would beat myself up about it and second guess everything I ate for the next few days. It's so much easier just to keep eating healthy stuff and accepting that my body will do its own thing in its own time.

Hi There.

One suggestion going forward - stay off the scale!  It is not your friend - really and truly.  

My first whole 30 (which was actually a 45) I lost 6lbs.  Now that isn't a lot and rather disappointing when you are reading others' success stories with people dropping double digits like yourself.  However I had many health gains and I felt the best I had in my life.  So I was motivated to stay at least paleo.

So focus on the other gains that you have had other than the weight.  What are some of your non-scale victories?

Within a 6 month period I managed to drop another 29lbs.  So on average that's like a pound a week.  Which is a reasonable expectation to have of my body.

Was I on the scale every week checking my progress?  No.  Why?  Because my mood depended on what the scale said - and to me this is an unhealthy relationship.  My mood should not matter on what number shows up on a piece of plastic/metal/glass inanimate object tells me.  My mood should depend on me and how I feel.

Was I on the scale every week checking my progress?  No.  Why?  Because my mood depended on what the scale said - and to me this is an unhealthy relationship.  My mood should not matter on what number shows up on a piece of plastic/metal/glass inanimate object tells me.  My mood should depend on me and how I feel.

You know, that is brilliant.  And SO true.  I have always had an unheathly relationship with my scale, and now is no different.  I do focus on my NSV's.  I am painfree from arthritis in my back (herniated disk issues) for the first time in 20 years.  I am free of tendonitis in my elbows, plantar fasciitis in my feet, acid reflux, etc.  I sleep better, I look better, and my blood work was fantastic....numbers dropping like flies!

So yes, I too have had many health gains and feel the best I have in my life.  I would just like to feel this good a few sizes smaller.  LOL

Thanks!!!!!

You know what?  Honestly and truly  - I would like to go down a size and see the scale go down too.

But I'm still sorting through some of my remaining health issues - and my scale hasn't budged in a while.  And you know what?  I am at peace with this.  Mainly because my body is already so much healthier than it was.  And also I have MAINTAINED a 35lb weight loss - which was unheard of from me before this.  So I should not and cannot let this one small thing ruin all the other positives I have experienced.

Archived