Distance Running/Migraine Issues help?

fancypants

Hi there

I hope I'm not being redundant but have a specific issue and just want to make sure that I'm starting out right here! I'm on Day 4 of the Whole30 and am just starting to get back into my marathon training program. I normally fuel any runs long that 10 miles with either Chocolate Outrage Gu, Orange Sportbeans and Ultima Replenisher to drink. I totally understand that I can't use any of those on the Whole30 but my issue is that I am a migraine sufferer and my trigger is a rapid drop in blood sugar induced by exercising (I know, why do I run, right?). Anyway, I have managed well with my regimen with very few incidents, and I'm really worried about finding the right fuel sources. It's a tricky thing to just experiment with because my migraines temporarily cause me to lose sight because of the visual disturbances. So, do I utilize fruit and risk GI issues? Just try nuts? I don't think I can stomach chicken or tuna on a run :(. Or do I just blow my Whole30 for those runs and use my regular stuff? Any ideas would be really really helpful, thank you!!

• Moderators

After you have been eating Whole30-style for a while, your blood sugar regulation issues should resolve themselves. 

Instead of fruit, you could bake sweet potatoes for 90 minutes in a 350 degree oven until soft and sweet. Then take a baggy full of cold sweet potato with you on long runs and eat pinches of sweet potato. 

• Moderators

Remember, take it very, very easy with the workouts for your first 7-14 days. Your body is making big changes. You may not feel like more than a short plod and that is OK!

Tom is right about your blood sugar issues resolving - get excited about that!

Baby food packets made from sweet potatoes or squash could also work.

Lots of detailed info on what I eat during long runs on my blog, link below.

Archived