breakfast veggies

RuthintheDesert

I like to make a "hash" of 3-4 quick cooking vegetables - whatever I have on hand: zucchini, onion, mushroom, tomato, sweet potato, spinach, chopped kale. I find I don't get bored as easily with my morning veggies if I keep it on rotation.

Seconding saurkraut. Surprisingly, it goes down pretty easy in the morning. I also like sweet potatoes or leftover roasted squash. If I'm adding to eggs then my favorites are mushrooms, onion, and various greens (spinach, chard, kale, etc.).

My absolute favorite breakfast veggie is whatever kind of dinner leftover we have. :) I'm not a morning person so a good breakfast is anything that I just can throw on a plate and warm up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been steam sauteing 1-2 bunches of kale every week. Add some handfuls to my skillet with salt and cook down some more and then add 4 beaten eggs and scramble. Yum! I often have a little of a fermented veggie on the side as well. Currently gingered carrots.

• Administrators

I've been steam sauteing 1-2 bunches of kale every week. Add some handfuls to my skillet with salt and cook down some more and then add 4 beaten eggs and scramble. Yum! I often have a little of a fermented veggie on the side as well. Currently gingered carrots.

Do you ferment your own gingered carrots? If so, recipe please!!!

LOVE zucchini and sweet potato :). I'll mix up the veggies too, go-tos are onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, sweet/normal potato, zucchnini, and pepper. I never thought I'd get used to eating veggies for breakfast and I used to skip breakfast often times. Now it's my favourite meal of the day :)

These all sound yummy. We have three kids, and there are never leftover veggies. :)

How do you get your kids to eat vegetables?!! Ha ha. I have two kids, but one is a baby, who has to eat anything I spoon-feed him, including veggies, and the other is a toddler. I think that requires no explanation :P

• Administrators

Nope...I'm a scaredy cat and haven't done this yet. I buy a local brand at my coop.

Oh, I'm totally going to do it!  I just googled and the first recipe that comes up is Steph at Stupid Easy Paleo...and since she's who I learned how to make Kombucha from, I'm going to try her recipe!  (linked here in case you get brave! http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/08/how-to-guide-fermented-ginger-carrots/

Oh, I'm totally going to do it!  I just googled and the first recipe that comes up is Steph at Stupid Easy Paleo...and since she's who I learned how to make Kombucha from, I'm going to try her recipe!  (linked here in case you get brave! http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/08/how-to-guide-fermented-ginger-carrots/

If I can keep my kitchen clean for 30 days then I'll try fermenting...do want to try kombucha again when it gets warmer.

Ooh I'm going to try this. Thank you!

How do you get your kids to eat vegetables?!! Ha ha. I have two kids, but one is a baby, who has to eat anything I spoon-feed him, including veggies, and the other is a toddler. I think that requires no explanation :P

We have always fed our kids what we eat. There was a stage when each one was about 2 or 3 when they asserted their independence by choosing not to eat this or that. I just kept feeding them good food and not giving dessert if they skipped vegetables. :) We never started the McDonalds thing (I can't stand the smell) and because they all had issues with wheat when they were little, we didn't start the frozen chicken nugget routine that some families seem to get stuck on.

Also, we feed them YUMMY vegetables. Not mushy canned things. I made my own baby food and added spices and butter and good stuff to fresh vegetables. I tried canned baby food. Flavorless stuff! 

Our youngest is 9 now. The kids eat everything we eat, with only two exceptions. Our oldest does not like mushrooms, and our youngest does not like too much spiciness. 

I remember reading somewhere that, when it comes to kids, they have to be introduced to a new food five or six times before they truly accept it so it's important to keep offering it and to offer it cooked in a variety of ways. Kiddo may not like cooked cauliflower, but may love it raw--that sort of thing.

And on the breakfast front, I recently discovered a new way to batch cook kale--roast in the oven. It's not like making kale chips. Toss kale in cooking fat of choice, dump on a cookie sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350. (Inspiration from this recipe here.) No need to constantly watch like you would doing it in the skillet so you could get dressed or pack a lunch while it bakes.

@Munkers wait that sounds *exactly* like making kale chips??

With kale chips, you want to spread them out and not crowd them so that they can get crispy. With the recipe I linked, you're dumping a huge pile (like 6-8 cups) of kale onto a cookie sheet without room for air circulation. I guess my last post was worded poorly. The method IS pretty much the same, you just end up with a different end product. That was the part that I was trying to communicate--that you get wilted kale instead of crispy kale.

Always, always sweet potatoes. Not much, just a handful, but they're a must. Then I switch it up - chopped "power greens" from Sprouts, mushrooms (dried or fresh), sun dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, zucchini, or - as others have posted - leftover veggies from dinner the night before. Except carrots. I can't stomach carrots in the morning.

Anyone else find it odd that I can eat kale but not carrots before lunch?

I eat roasted brussels sprouts for breakfast almost daily, plus something starchy like mashed rosemary sweet potatoes or roasted root veggies.  I love that "breakfast" for me has become very dinner-like.

Spinach/Kale, mushrooms & onions for me if I'm making fresh, but anything leftover is good - I like how the flavours have developed overnight to just make everything taste better. Although it's not obviously not a veg leftover Korma has always been a favourite - must search for a compliant korma recipe & put that on the menu for the weekend!

Spinach/Kale, mushrooms & onions for me if I'm making fresh, but anything leftover is good - I like how the flavours have developed overnight to just make everything taste better. Although it's not obviously not a veg leftover Korma has always been a favourite - must search for a compliant korma recipe & put that on the menu for the weekend!

I LOVE veggie korma. Please share if you find a compliant recipe!

Archived