Cottagequeen's CQI

cottagequeen

So a friend asked me on facebook after a post I had made about slaying a sugar dragon and stress dragon at work yesterday, what else I had gained from Whole30, other than weight loss. Thru tears I shared my success. Opening up and sharing is hard for me, but I know it will benefit me. Here is my response:

"My health, physically, mentally and emotionally. Before I did my very first whole30 back in April, I was struggling with depression, my life was a disaster, mentally, emotionally and physically. I was too tired to do anything. I didn't sleep well, when I'd go to bed, I would smear herbals over my chest because I not only had a hard time breathing, I could hear the fine crackles and wheezing in my chest. I would get short of breath walking into work. Being a Respiratory Therapist, I knew what was going on, inflammation. I didn't care about food, just hit the fast food, if they had a drive thru or delivered I'd eat it. I'd buy groceries, good food, it would waste away in the fridge and I would have to throw it out. I had a major candida infection, the itch was so bad I would scratch til I bled. I was taking all kinds of supplements to try to offset my lousy food choices. I was beating myself up because I knew that my food choices were killing me and I couldn't break them. My blood pressure was borderline high, I have no idea what my blood work looked like, I'm sure if I had it checked the doc would have prescribed a bunch of meds for me. Like any addict, I was headed down, my house was a wreck, my health was crashing, my job was on the line, my relationships were flailing, and esp. my relationship with God. I could barely pray. The first go round, I completed 60 days and everything I described got better, many 100% better. After the 60 days, I started a trial of the things I had omitted. I really hadn't missed any of them, but was mostly curious. My raw milk didn't bother me, stevia didn't, but when I trialed legumes, bam, they did, big time, tired during the day, afternoon slump. I struggled to get back on the wagon, so to speak, would do well for a few days then something would happen and over a period of time I was right back where I started with food. While a lot of the physical symptoms weren't as bad as they had been before, They were starting to flare up again. The thing that scared me and got me back on track with this whole30, that I am continuing to a whole100, was the emotional ones. the affect it was having on my mind scared me. When, I began to think of why people commit suicide, I knew this was literally life or death for me. Feeling like I couldn't use a suicide attempt as a cry for help because I felt an attempt on my part would be successful. That nobody cared, and the only way anyone would find out something had happened was when I didn't show up for work without calling in first. My first round of doing whole30 had proven to me that it works. When they say, whole30 will change your life, it is true. By the grace of God and the help of Whole30 and Whole9 I am here to share this. Even sharing this, as hard as it is, has been a help. Thanks for asking, I know this wasn't what you expected, but it is what I have gained. My life in every aspect. Not everyone has issues as extreme as mine, but it will help those who do and those who don't. Food is either medicine or poison. We choose what we eat, the medicine or the poison."

Thank you Whole30/Whole9, Melissa, Dallas, everyone of you one these forums, my  dear family and friends.

Update: Now on day 75, my sister is doing whole30 now and considering a whole60 or 90. :D. I've joined a Whole9 challenge on here and am looking forward to the benefits I will attain from it. I still do not miss any of the things I have let go. Every day is a new and better day. I continue to amaze myself in my progress. Words cannot explain how happy I am to have found Whole30 and my health...

• Administrators

Wow, that is an amazing story!  Every day that you string behind another day of choosing to put yourself first because you deserve your own love and care, pushes the demons further and further away.

So happy for you!

• 1 month later...

This is a post I made back in May 02, 2014 on Facebook as a life event:

Yes, I changed my cover from finished to doing the Whole 30. No I haven't lost my mind. I went to bed last night undecided which fork in the road I needed to take. The reintro to foods or continue with another Whole 30. I woke up this am with an answer, continue on. My gut needs more time to heal from all the damage I have done to it over the past 30+ years. You think it's not a problem when you are young, because it is a gradual damage and you don't notice it. Then 50, or even 40 looms ahead and you start to realize how awful you feel. Tired all them time, no motivation, dependent on coffee, sugar, monster drinks fast food to get you up and thru the day. Cranky and hungry, even tho you are stuffed, can't get to sleep or stay asleep and/or hit the snooze a zillion times before dragging out of bed. Yes, food did that, and the food out there today is working even faster. Aches and pains making you feel older than you are. Depression, affecting work and relationships. Whole 30 is the first "diet" that has ever given me hope. Hope of a future of real health, without addiction. Without "Why, why, why can't I quit eating this junk, I know it is killing me?". Without tears, anger, self castigation. Hope for better relationships with food, friends, family, and myself. Hope for a better life. The one I want, not the one I am living, struggling to accomplish even the smallest project, to simply go to work on some days. Already that has improved. The junk sings it siren song. "I'm Never Gonna Give You Up" is it's theme. Look at me, I taste good it tells you, it's a trap, a deceitful death trap. I know now that it can be broken. For me, now it has. Yes. Whole 30 looks scary, all you have to give up for 30 days. It is scary. Change is scary. What looked scarier was a future of ill healthy spiraling downward, unable to enjoy those sweet grandbabies. Life is scary, but it's also fun and we live it. I want to live it well. I don't need the junk food to live a full, satisfying, wonderful life. I need my health and mental well being. To life, health and happiness. That's the road I'm on.

• 2 months later...

CQ you are also proof this is do-able with unending continued success We are so with you in spirit and prayer in all our own unique ways

Your life long journey and courageous words were read through tearful eyes Some will identify with you as I can and some can only imagine who are living with their own circumstances and still trying to find their way

Thank you for sharing your story It's truly inspiring you'll never know but please believe it

• 1 month later...

Today is a new day on my continued journey, just some thoughts I had recently and wanted to update for people:

The thing I love about Whole30: Once you do an official 100% compliant 30 days, or 60 in my case, you have felt how good you can feel and how healthy and happy you can feel, if you totally fall out of the truck into the mud and wallow.... which I did, you know right where to go to save yourself and I did. Everybody's journey is different yet we all have a future in sticking the landing. Some will hit that sweet spot sooner than others, but if we follow Whole30/whole9 principles, we all will get there. There will be pot holes, speed bumps, and maybe even roadside bombs, but you can't forget the Whole30 100% compliant bliss, it calls you with it's sweet song. It's there, whispering sweetly in your ear, strengthening you for battle, even as the sugar dragon roars it's head off. I can honestly say, no I have not killed the dragon, but the battle is still on and I am not growing weary, but stronger. I am learning things about myself, I am facing things that need to be faced and it is beautiful/wonderful/hopeful! Not scary anymore...i am finding me...

Thanks again and again and again Melissa and Doug, from the bottom of my heart...

Archived