Timing meals with new workout

Hannlib

I'm 21 days into my third whole 30 and thinking about tackling a big goal for me - to do some actual exercise! I'm just looking for advice on how to time my meals as this has been a big hurdle for me.

Context - I'm mid 30s full time mum. I'm 5ft2 and generally 105ish lbs. I've no particular need to lose weight but I do store fat on my belly which I would like to lose and to gain muscle. Pre kids I did rock climbing, mountain biking, hiking. I have also done running and swimming in the past but no gym type workouts for years. Since having the kids ie 6 years ago I've done basically no exercise except dog walking and occasional hill walking, often with my toddler in a sling on my back.

I am looking at starting an exercise class - kettlebells. It is at 7pm on a Thursday evening.

During the week I am home full time with my 2 year old. I also do the school run with my eldest. My husband leaves the house before we get up and is rarely home before 6.45pm. This is my excuse, but the class is 5 mins from home so do-able.

I eat breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12.30 - 1pm, dinner at 5pm with the kids. My whole 30 goal this time has been to break my evening snacking habit, so I eat nothing after dinner. It's working well, I'm eating good meals, I am not hungry. Ideally I'd eat my meal 3 at 6.30 but it just doesn't work with bathtime etc. If we wait till the kids are reliably in bed to eat it's 8pm and I'm beyond starving. I can only cope with that at the weekend if all my meals are pushed a couple of hours later.

So. M3 5pm, rushing out to kettlebells at 7pm. Doesn't feel good to me. I'm generally still pretty full. But there is no way I can wait till gone 8pm, especially doing a workout too.

What do I do?!

• Moderators

This actually looks like a very doable plan to me. Eat meal 3 at 5 as planned. Two hours to digest it before workout out seems good. If you generally feel too full to workout after two hours, consider eating to satisfaction rather than to fullness at meal 3. Then have some lean protein and maybe a bit of starchy veg after the class. Something as simple as a few ounces of chicken breast and a few bites of sweet potato would do the trick. And remember, this is to fuel your muscles at an optimal time so as to keep and build that muscle, rather than to satiate hunger.

Hi LadyM thanks for your encouraging thoughts. I definitely feel too full at 7pm to go out and exercise. Well full, but also exhausted/ defeated/ at the end of my tether which all kind of contributes to my exercise apathy.

I possibly overeat a little at that m3. I am mindful that there is no more food till 8am the next day and like to be good and full to minimise the temptation to raid the cupboards all evening.

So with that in mind I will eat a lighter M3 on a Thursday. Save my starchy veggies for post wo and have them with the chicken as you suggest. Hopefully that will enable me to face getting up and going out and the post WO refuel will prevent any munchies as well as refueling muscle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it! Had a lightish meal 3 at 5.15pm. Two oven fried salmon cakes, remoulade, beetroot salad and greens. To feel full I'd have had another salmon cake but I didn't.

Class was good, v proud of myself.

1/3 chicken breast and 1/3 sweet potato at about 8.45pm which was about 15mins post wo.

I was hungry in the night though and I've lost about 4lbs more than I wanted to so I might eat a little more post wo next week.

Well I did it! Had a lightish meal 3 at 5.15pm. Two oven fried salmon cakes, remoulade, beetroot salad and greens. To feel full I'd have had another salmon cake but I didn't.

Class was good, v proud of myself.

1/3 chicken breast and 1/3 sweet potato at about 8.45pm which was about 15mins post wo.

I was hungry in the night though and I've lost about 4lbs more than I wanted to so I might eat a little more post wo next week.

I would up that to 1/2 chicken breast and 1/2 to whole sweet potato. Having those extra carbs at night can help with sleep too. You might also take a spoonful of compliant fat right before bed to help keep you satiated through the night. If you wait another 30-60 minutes after that post workout meal you should be fine to have something with fat in it. I teach 7pm classes twice a week and I also find sometimes my post workout food is not enough to keep me from being hungry in the night so that is what I do.

I would up that to 1/2 chicken breast and 1/2 to whole sweet potato. Having those extra carbs at night can help with sleep too. You might also take a spoonful of compliant fat right before bed to help keep you satiated through the night. If you wait another 30-60 minutes after that post workout meal you should be fine to have something with fat in it. I teach 7pm classes twice a week and I also find sometimes my post workout food is not enough to keep me from being hungry in the night so that is what I do.

This is super helpful, thank you so much!

Archived