Day 5 - experiencing weakness?

Gencaf

I have felt OK until now, except for some headaches. I am not sure what has happened.

Today has been 3 eggs (really can't eat more eggs than this!), broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms sauteed, an apple, coffee with coconut milk. Lunch was tuna salad (made myself with homemade olive oil mayo), salad greens, carrots, compliant dressing, almonds. Portions were correct. Dinner will be my own taco seasoned ground beef roll ups- on lettuce with tomatoes, and advocado and some raspberries.

Not long after lunch it hit me. I felt terribly weak and my legs and arms are like rubber. I feel like I could pass out. I have drank tons of water. I am getting enough sleep. Now I don't feel tired, just unable to do much from this weakness. It feels like low blood sugar almost. Of course anything I would normally do from that I cannot do now? I tried some cashews and that did not work.

I have no sugar issues normally. I am morbidly obese. I am not very active yet. I do have 4 children at home, so there is activity there.

I appreciate any insight into this issue. I can stand craving. I can stand hunger, but weakness and this jelly feeling make it very difficult to even care for my children. At one point this afternoon I felt like I could not even process what they were saying and asking me.

• Moderators

Two things that I can think of, just off the top of my head -- 1: are you using salt? Especially if before this you were eating at restaurants or eating pre-made foods or things from mixes, you're probably getting a lot less salt that you did before.  2: I don't see a lot of starchy vegetables in today's meals, you might try adding sweet potato or regular potato or any of the winter squashes to one meal a day.

I'd also point out that raw vegetables, especially leafy greens like salads, tend not to be as filling, so while you may have eaten a huge amount of salad, it may not really have been enough food. When I have a salad, I like to make sure I include things other than lettuce/spinach/other leafy greens. It could be raw stuff like chopped raw zucchini and yellow squash, radishes, carrots, celery, broccoli, snap peas, or it could be cooked vegetables, either mixed into the salad or on the side, whichever way sounds best to you.

• Administrators

I felt terribly weak and my legs and arms are like rubber. I feel like I could pass out.

At one point this afternoon I felt like I could not even process what they were saying and asking me.

This would be a huge red flag towards not having eaten enough food.  If you had a very SAD intake before Whole30 that was high in calories and then you come to Whole30 and eat the nice clean menu you list above for a few days you have created a very large caloric deficit which could cause all of these symptoms.

As Shannon said above, increase your starchy veggies and I would also increase your intake overall until you are feeling better. Aim at the high end of the template in both protein and fat and try for more cooked veggies over the salad greens.

Archived