Help I am feeling horrible :(

tgera

Hello. 

This is my third time doing Whole 30, the first two times I had huge success, 4-5 kilo weight loss each time and I felt amazing.

Now both my husband and I are doing it again and we are basically on our 5th week now as we decided to make this a lifestyle change rather than just 30 days.

So, hubby has lost 4.5 kilos which is amazing, but he suffers with Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune disease) and is finding that he feels horrible and all the symptoms and pain are worse than ever.  

I have not lost any weight at all and I feel horrible.  I also have an AI disease, Interstitial Cystitis and I also suffer with Gastritis/Hiatal Hernia. I am finding that I feel shocking.  My stomach is constantly hurting from the second I put food in my mouth. I am exhausted and extremely grumpy and really down on myself.  

here is an average day worth of food for both of us:

Breakfast - 

Bacon & Eggs and occasionally a Paleo cereal which consists of sunflower seeds, coconut, dates, walnuts, pecans and macadamias.  

Hubby will have a berry smoothie as well which is coconut water and mixed berries (strawberries, blackberrries and blueberries).  

Lunch - 

Roast Lamb or Beef or some type of meat -  size of palm of hand

Roast Veges (carrot, pumpkin and sweet pot) or a soup like Broccoli and Zucchini with some coconut cream

Dinner - 

Some type of meat with salad - either coleslaw or a greek salad (minus the feta cheese)

Snacks -  once a day only -  celery sticks with either almond butter or cashew cheese.

So what are we doing wrong.  I am about to give up on this way of eating as it is making us both miserable.

Would appreciate some advice please.

Thanks

Toula

Hello. 

This is my third time doing Whole 30, the first two times I had huge success, 4-5 kilo weight loss each time and I felt amazing.

Now both my husband and I are doing it again and we are basically on our 5th week now as we decided to make this a lifestyle change rather than just 30 days.

So, hubby has lost 4.5 kilos which is amazing, but he suffers with Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune disease) and is finding that he feels horrible and all the symptoms and pain are worse than ever.  

I have not lost any weight at all and I feel horrible.  I also have an AI disease, Interstitial Cystitis and I also suffer with Gastritis/Hiatal Hernia. I am finding that I feel shocking.  My stomach is constantly hurting from the second I put food in my mouth. I am exhausted and extremely grumpy and really down on myself.  

here is an average day worth of food for both of us:

Breakfast - 

Bacon & Eggs and occasionally a Paleo cereal which consists of sunflower seeds, coconut, dates, walnuts, pecans and macadamias.  

Paleo Cereal is not Whole 30 and that's a whole lotta nuts.   Need cooked vegetables at breakfast.

Hubby will have a berry smoothie as well which is coconut water and mixed berries (strawberries, blackberrries and blueberries).  

Smoothies are not Whole 30 and that's a whole lotta fruit sugars and coconut water is more sugar (no protein)

Lunch - 

Roast Lamb or Beef or some type of meat -  size of palm of hand

Roast Veges (carrot, pumpkin and sweet pot) or a soup like Broccoli and Zucchini with some coconut cream

I don't see many good dietary fats  (some coconut cream may be too small of  a serving)

Dinner - 

Some type of meat with salad - either coleslaw or a greek salad (minus the feta cheese)

Raw salad greens are not enough for dinner,  additional cooked vegetables would round this out with more good dietary fats

You don't give amounts but it appears that you're running on the low end of proteins

Snacks -  once a day only -  celery sticks with either almond butter or cashew cheese.

More nut snacks

All of the nuts could make one feel miserable and nauseous

So what are we doing wrong.  I am about to give up on this way of eating as it is making us both miserable.

You need more protein, cooked vegetables and good dietary fats besides nuts

Would appreciate some advice please.

Thanks

Toula

• Moderators

At breakfast, your Paleo cereal is a Whole30 failure. It is not okay to replicate conventional foods with compliant ingredients. Also, the Paleo cereal would be very hard on your digestive tract. Futher, we encourage you to eat veggies at every meal, so eating just bacon and eggs would leave you missing part of what you need. Hubbie's smoothie is a Whole30 failure. Although technically compliant, this meal lacks protein and is a sugar bomb. We want more for you at every meal. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Your lunches look okay. 

At supper, eating a salad suggests you are not eating enough. Salad breaks down when chewed to almost nothing. You would have to eat an enormous volume of salad to consume an adequate amount of food. Coleslaw, being raw veggies, although substantial, can be hard on your digestive tract. Anyone who is having problems should consider eating cooked veggies and avoiding raw veggies. 

Your snacks lack meaningful protein. We encourage that snacks be a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies and not "snack" foods to fill your stomach for an hour or two or to break up your day. 

It sounds like you are getting starchy veggies once per day except when you have soup at lunch. You probably need starchy veggies every day and maybe at two meals per day.

My guess is that you are not eating enough food overall. That can create tiredness and other problems. And you may need more starchy veggies specifically.

You don't mention how much water you are drinking. We recommend 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. 

well i think its safe to say that I should have gone back and read all of the rules again!  I remember being so strict the first few times but I havent done it in a while and just assumed i knew everything.  will start making the changes from tomorrow and see how i go.

Thanks heaps for the help, it has given me something to think about!!

Archived