Coconut Milk - Food without brakes!

candree

I'm well into my whole60 (day 55!!)  and while i've stayed compliant the entire time, i'm finding that little by little, compliant foods are becoming food without brakes (arghhhh).  My latest demon is coconut milk!  I can eat it by the spoonful (half a can!!) when i open a can and store it in the fridge.

Any suggestions?  Am i sabotaging myself with too much fat??!  I'm afraid i haven't slayed my sugar demon but rather just heightened it's appreciation for anything even remotely sweet or creamy!

• Moderators

Over the course of my Whole30s I realized I had replaced my sweet tooth with a fat tooth. Many of the fats we use around here like coconut and nuts in their many forms also have a sweet creamy hit. Sounds like you know you have a problem with coconut milk, so I suggest you limit its use to part of recipes as has been suggested, or perhaps even try going without it for a week or so to discover how heavily you've been relying on it for something other than healthy nourishment.

• 2 months later...

I found this topic on a search to make sure Whole Foods brand coconut milk doesn't have hidden sugar.  It tastes so sweet to me.  I'll be careful during the rest of my W30, but then I'm totally making SWYPO chocolate pudding after I'm done.  (Unless, of course, I've developed a more healthy relationship with food as nourishment instead of reward or something crazy like that.)

I found this topic on a search to make sure Whole Foods brand coconut milk doesn't have hidden sugar.  It tastes so sweet to me.  I'll be careful during the rest of my W30, but then I'm totally making SWYPO chocolate pudding after I'm done.  (Unless, of course, I've developed a more healthy relationship with food as nourishment instead of reward or something crazy like that.)

:D  :lol:

Maureen, you crack me up.

Of all the food logs I've read, and of all the serial whole30-ers I've seen coming back to whole30 having gone back to their old sweet habits, the majority seem to be those who've had a daily rendezvous with coconut milk. Yes, it's a healthy fat, and some people seem to be fine with it, but it's also very sweet, and IMHO anyone battling a stubborn sugar dragon needs to keep it to a minimum.

I have Coconut Milk Powder and use it for my Paleo Mug Muffins.  NOT.

I seldom use coconut milk for anything...just a tad for cooking.  Yes, jmcbn, it can become a fave component of SWYPO paleo cereal eating.  I prefer other fats and they do keep the cravings for sugar at bay.

taming-the-dragon-17089-1680x1050.jpg

I freeze it in cubes to use in cooking --- if I've got a half open can in the fridge, I'm eating it.  :ph34r:

Ooooh, good idea!! I use a half a can to slow cook a chicken most weeks, transfer the remainder to a tupperware, then end up dumping it as it's gone off by the time I'm ready to cook another chicken... 

Archived