Meatlaof? Barefoot Contessa Meatloaf?

Wordlvr

I'm doing my second Whole30; my first was 2.5 years ago and I've started and gathering good recipes again. There is such an abundance of them. I came cross this this Ina Garten meatlof and thought it could be converted fairly easily. I'm sure there are great meatloaf recipes in the Whole30 pantheon and I'd love to know people's favorites. The reason I'd bother with this is that Ina Garten's basic recipes tend to be very tasty. If I used Whole30 ketchup and worcestershire sauce recipes, switched out the 1/2 c bread crumbs for almond flour, and made sure that my tomato paste was compliant, this recipe would be a go, right? I'm asking because of this use of almost flour. Any other thoughts about this? Or, I could use a Whole30 meatloaf recipe. It doesn't have to be beef. Yours?

Ingredients

1 tablespoon good olive oil

3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)

1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)

2 extra-large eggs, beaten

1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot.

2010, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved

CATEGORIES: Beef Main Dish Meatloaf View All

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/meat-loaf-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Yes, it's possible to reconstruct almost any recipe.  It's context for me or leading by example.  I admire her cooking skills but almost all of the fruit recipes are heated with about a cup of sugar.  I enjoy watching but the end results give me pause about the health of those who make a steady diet of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds good to me.  I have liked almond flour in the salmon cakes I've made, so I'd be willing to try it in meatloaf.  By the way, can someone point me to compliant catsup?  I must have missed that recipe.

ThyPeace, missed catsup during her Whole30s.

Thanks, kirkor!  The recipe looks pretty good.  I've got both dates and figs in the house -- has anyone tried both and are there any opinions on which is better?

ThyPeace, dates are what all candy is trying to be.

My husband and I have fallen in love with this meatloaf (and ketchup)...

http://www.eatingforidiots.com/homestyle-meatloaf/

I changed it a little.

*I only had beef, so I used 2 lbs. ground beef (80/20).

*I didn't have thyme or parsley, so I just used Italian Seasoning. Probably about 2 tsp worth.

*I only used 4 oz. chopped mushrooms, but don't see how adding more would hurt. I just don't have a food processor and didn't feel like chopping that many! Haha!

*Didn't have coconut flour, so only used almond flour.

The ketchup I made as is. Where it says vinegar, originally I used white... it was fine, but looking at the pictures I'm sure he used apple cider vinegar. Did that the second time and it was much better. It is a little strong. I probably wouldn't use it as a dipping sauce, but mixed in the meatloaf and a little on top is great!

It only took about an hour, instead of the 1.5 it says.

Archived