Cleaning out pantry and fridge... help!

Hello everyone!

I'm on day 4 of my Whole30 and feeling... tired (took a nap at 10am this morning) but really really good about making this decision to only put good foods into my body.

My hubby is not 100% Whole30 understanding - he will eat what I make as long as it tastes good, but he still wants to have the snacks he likes available to him (trail mix, crackers, chocolate bar, lemonade, etc.). I decided about 1/2 an hour ago to clear out the pantry and fridge of all foods that are not Whole30 compliant (I know this was a day 0/1 task, but I needed to feel the positive effects of this big change first). I am leaving hubby a shelf in the pantry and an area in the fridge for "his" foods.

However.. I have only gone through the pantry so far and the kitchen table is FULL. I'm not sure whether I will simply put everything in storage (to get them out of sight) or literally get rid of everything, but I'm feeling an overwhelming sense of frustration at having to clear out my cupboards because of lack of knowledge prior to Whole30. How did I not know these ingredients were in the foods we were eating on a daily basis? All that money in products... things I literally bought just last week! :(

I know I should be thinking, yes you're throwing away some money now but you're doing your body a whole lot of good... but being on a pretty tight budget and trying to save for our first home... it's hard to keep that thought in mind.

Thoughts?? What feelings have you gone through going through your cupboards and fridge?

p.s. The lard in the photo was from Christmas baking... hubby's family recipe for doughnuts. I don't want to even think about the holidays coming up.

post-4452-0-09898400-1346184210_thumb.jp

Hey curlyj88!

You are on the right track by at least getting everything out of sight! I did this the first day and I was surprised as well at the volume I had to throw away. I have some things in a pantry that I intend to sell on ebay (some specialty protein bars, some unopened peanut butter packets and peanut butter powder) but most things I threw away.

I am in a unique position where I actually can't throw out everything in the house that is not W30 compliant. You see, I have a roommate. My boyfriend and roommate were eating like their normal selves during my W30 so I couldn't throw out their food. This hasn't really been an issue for me (for the W30 or for past diets) because the roommate and I have normally bought separate foods. I don't eat his and he doesn't eat mine. I am also not tempted by his foods, but I think it's (mostly)because I know it would be wrong of me to eat them. It's also because he eats pure junk.

It is interesting to me that you put your baking materials on the table. I still have all my supplies in the pantry. I really love to bake, but I am torn as to whether I will be baking for the holidays or not. I am pretty good at it (if I do say so myself), but I just feel like a hypocrite for giving food that I know is horrible to people I love. They do have free will, but they can't eat it if I don't make it, right? I am legitimately torn on this one.

The baking things were incredibly hard to put on the table, and I'm still not sure whether they will make it back to the pantry or not. I as well LOVE to bake. Pre Whole30, nearly every week I was making cookies, muffins, bread, etc. I am known as the "baker" in the family, both my own family, my inlaws, and my frieneds. I always tried to use whole wheat flour, I was always cutting down the sugar in a recipe or trying to replace it with other types that I was told were more healthy (honey, agave)... but you're right... why would I give food to those I love that I wouldn't eat myself? It's a tough one. For the past 2 years, I have filled big tins of cookies for each of my family members at Christmas time. This past Christmas, hubby I spent an entire day making his family doughnut recipe... and while it made for a wonderful memory and a fun day, watching them fry in pure lard literally grossed me out. The process was fun and I enjoyed seeing hubby happy doing a family tradition, but was it really worth it?

You raised a good point.. now I have something else to think about! (haha :P).

p.s. Now following you on instagram :)

One thing that I did was actually returned food to the grocery store(s) I got it from and got either cash back or a store credit which I used to buy compliant food. That helped me not feel like it went to waste. I'd get rid of it somehow-donataion to a local food pantry would be good.

Thanks for the suggestions! Sadly most of it ended up going back in the pantry. Hubby says he still wants me to make him his banana chocolate chip muffins and whatnot every so often. BUT... he put all back onto the very bottom 2 shelves in our pantry so I barely even see it. The fridge is a different story because stuff always ends up everywhere even if I try to keep it organized lol but I'm doing good just keeping my eyes on the things I can eat and not paying attention to the things I can't.

Archived