Starting Reintroduction this week? February 25th.

ThyPeace

My two friends and I welcomed SPRING yesterday and I had my wine. Ahhhh! I made a chuck roast with potatoes in the pressure cooker and realized when I woke up this morning that the only ill effects I was feeling was from the potatoes. Last time I ate white potatoes, during my Whole60, I felt awful. This morning my fingers and toes were stiff and sore. The nightshade vegetable effect, I think, contributing to arthritis symptoms. I did drink lots of water after the wine. I learned years ago that drinking any alcohol dehydrates us, and drinking plenty of water before going to sleep is the best way to avoid a hangover.

So nothing bad came from the wine that I could detect. Since I've already decided to stay away from legumes, I will go with gluten-free grains on Monday. Maybe something like cornbread during the day and popcorn in the evening. I'll try popping it in ghee and see how that works out (instead of my usual peanut oil).

Can't wait to hear how the corn goes for you!  And gosh, I'm glad potatoes don't do that to me.  Although I think I would be fine, poor DH would really feel deprived.  And, come to think of it, stress and feeling deprived is already affecting him.  Need to think about how to help him.  All his least-healthy eating happens when I'm not around, so it's a challenge.

ThyPeace, has decided that small amounts of popcorn is okay, and so is whole-kernel corn in small amounts.  Cornmeal-based products not so much.

There was less than a glass's worth of wine left in the bottle, so I had that with my dinner the following night and... ya know, my plantar fasciitis has been bothering me a lot today (Sunday). So I can't try another food until Tuesday. That's when I'll go with gluten-free grains. Maybe I'll even have a little oatmeal for breakfast, maybe some corn niblets with dinner and popcorn later. I've got my dairy day planned for Friday: I'll make my (lactose free) Greek yogurt the day before and have that for breakfast -- oh wow, how am I going to do that without honey? I may have to rethink this -- and baked parmesan zucchini with dinner. And maybe some parmesan crisps. I miss those and they take seconds to make. Not sure what I'll do in a week when it's time for wheat. I've come to think of it as poison but at the same time I do miss bread. So maybe a little bruschetta.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to wait at least a couple of weeks before having wine again.

...Greek yogurt the day before and have that for breakfast -- oh wow, how am I going to do that without honey? ...

Try it with some salt, pepper, dill, and a little vinegar.  I used rice vinegar.  Put it on some cucumber or salad.  I liked it that way as a supper accompaniment back when I was eating dairy.

ThyPeace, weighs too much today and ate more even so.  This here is why I should be compliant, but I don't seem to want to be right now.  But I did take a couple of longish walks and did 30 minutes of yoga.  That felt good.

I didn't get to the store to get any corn items but did have popcorn (using ghee instead of my usual peanut oil to pop it with) twice within the 24-hour period. I feel fine. So now I'll wait my two days and try some dairy on Friday. 

I would love to do some yoga but one day when I was feeling unusually good I tried a bit and that evening and the whole next day my back was killing me. I know I can't expect my new lifestyle to cure my degenerative discs but was hoping for some relief. I'm thinking about scheduling a reiki session. And I still need to drag myself to the rec center pool (which, unfortunately, means putting on a bathing suit).

Gotta love popcorn!  I'm glad it agreed with you.  Looking forward to how your body sees dairy.

Sorry to hear about the degenerative discs!  I have a bad back, but it's from a herniated disc caused, honestly, by too much inactivity of various kinds.  Now that I treat myself a little better, I have fewer problems.  Swimming helps me.  I was a water child and always chubby, so putting on a bathing suit is no worse today than it was when I was 10.  And honestly, I'm less self-conscious now.  So -- put the suit on and to heck with who's looking!  

ThyPeace, likes warm water swimming.  Preferably in a tropical location, but that's really just a daydream....

I've worked out twice this week, the first exercise I've gotten in a couple of months.  I've been sort of active during that time, what with snow shoveling and moving boxes and things.  (DH is selling his house, so we are clearing things out.)  Still, it's not the same as working out.

One of those workouts was yesterday.  Yesterday was also DH's birthday.  I had a glass of white wine.  And then Thai beef salad (guarantee there was sugar in the dressing).  The main course was pan-fried fluke with a side of a vegetable mix of butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and spaghetti squash.  I also had two pieces of the best bread I've had in years, butter, and a few bites of DH's scallops with beets, beet greens, and spaetzle,  For dessert, we had a fancy thing that included devil's food cake, chocolate mousse, and various bits of intense flavors of chocolate and strawberry.  

There were two things that had dairy -- the vanilla parsnip puree and the vanilla ice cream that came with the dessert.  I had tiny tastes of both and let DH have the rest.

I have to say, it was really a lovely, delicious, and worthwhile experience.  We agreed that we can do something like this twice a year -- once on his birthday, once on mine.  (We will surely also have treats at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, and the 4th of July, which is also our anniversary.)  Seven times a year.  I think I can live a long life on that.  It's all the OTHER reasons for treats that are a problem.

Anyway, I drank as much water as I could yesterday knowing that the workout, the carbs, and the alcohol would all be water-intensive events.  I'm still drinking water today, and feeling the effects even so.  My sore muscles make me think the greatest contributor is the workout.  I don't have all headache-queasy symptoms that go with sugar and alcohol hangovers for me.  I suspect they are contributing, though.

ThyPeace, a week until Easter.  Then, once all the family departs, I will start my next Whole30.  Someone please hold me to that!

Archived