Day 25 + PMS = Very very bad

nutmegh

So its day 25 and I'm thinking why am I so darn tired, breaking out all over, bloated, generally in a bad mood?  And then it dawns on me..oh yes, it's been 25 days and as awesome as this whole30 is, it does not stop menstruation or any of the side effects that come along with it! I am starving! I grazed all day yesterday and want to do the same today. I'm sticking to paleo snacks and meals (obviously) and will not ruin this whole 30 when I'm so close (this is my second). I didn't have these problems with my first one as I was pregnant and didn't know it.  Anyways..does anyone have any suggestions to cope with the constant cravings that come with PMS? please share if you do...

This happened to me too - though it was around day 18-20 (the week before my period) and I couldn't understand why I felt sooo much hungrier than usual. Like "empty tank" kind of hungry. It was totally unexpected since I'd been getting used to the rhythms of my appetite/meals and then wham-o! I wasn't sure if it was workout related or just a weird eating spike, either way I upped my protein and sweet potato a wee bit for a few days and it did the trick. Going on whole30 allowed me (ok, forced me :) ) to pay attention to when my body was genuinely hungry (vs cravings). It was genuinely hungry because a plain boiled egg sounded like a Christmas-Hannukah-Easter present. I also found the thread that ShannonM816 included, and then everything fell into place.

The only thing I found a bit tricky was not overeating. I let myself get so hungry (because I wanted to avoid snacking), I wanted to eat EVERYTHING by meal time. Hulk style. So a bit of chewing/pacing and talking off the ledge (from my brain to my stomach) was required. :)

• 1 year later...

Eat. Eat a lot. Read this thread for some explanation of why this happens, and then relax and understand that times like these are why Whole30 doesn't count calories -- sometimes, you just need way more food than usual.

The link to 'this'thread' is no longer working. I missed my period (was supposed to come 5 days ago - I'm also perimenopausal - age 45). I am SO, SO tired! Hunger not too much of an issue. This is day 22 for me. Any suggestions? I'm able to sleep in because I'm on summer break (I'm a teacher), but still SO, SO tired! 

The link to 'this'thread' is no longer working. I missed my period (was supposed to come 5 days ago - I'm also perimenopausal - age 45). I am SO, SO tired! Hunger not too much of an issue. This is day 22 for me. Any suggestions? I'm able to sleep in because I'm on summer break (I'm a teacher), but still SO, SO tired! 

What does your food intake look like? Can you give us an example of a few typical days? Please be specific about portion sizes in relation to the size of your palm, and types of vegetables.

Are you drinking enough water? Salting your food? Getting enough fat?

Bear in mind that whilst Whole30 can help ease many of the symptoms of menopause it will not delay ir, or prevent it from happening - it's the circle of life. The late period could be part & parcel of hormones adjusting, or it could be menopause related. The lack of energy however is more likely to do with your food - or lack of it.

What does your food intake look like? Can you give us an example of a few typical days? Please be specific about portion sizes in relation to the size of your palm, and types of vegetables.

Are you drinking enough water? Salting your food? Getting enough fat?

Bear in mind that whilst Whole30 can help ease many of the symptoms of menopause it will not delay ir, or prevent it from happening - it's the circle of life. The late period could be part & parcel of hormones adjusting, or it could be menopause related. The lack of energy however is more likely to do with your food - or lack of it.

Breakfast - 2 eggs w/ 1/2 avocado and fruit.

Lunch - a toss salad with a 2 tablespoons of the protein salad and a serving of fruit.

Dinner - i made a pot of cabbage, ground beef and diced tomatoes and had a bowl of that.

I do run - I haven't mastered the pre wo meal. i tend to skip it because what I've been eating has not sat well in my stomach.

I drink water all day and do salt and season the food well.

My periods have been relatively regular. I know the change is from this food experiment. 

From reading many of the comments on various feeds, I have a feeling I'm not eating enough.

• Moderators

I think you're right that you're not eating enough. A serving of eggs, when they're your only protein, is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand -- likely 3-4. Have 1-3 cups of vegetables with every single meal, even breakfast.

2 TBSP of protein salad is not very much -- you want 1-2 palm-sized portions of the protein itself, not counting the fat and any vegetables or other stuff you put in it.

So, general guideline, maybe 1/3-1/2 of a regular dinner plate (like a 9 or 10-inch dinner plate) will be protein, and the rest of that plate should be piled up with vegetables, and then add some fat.

This is the link that wasn't working above.

I just wanted to say that I'm feeling your pain. I had a huge omelet for breakfast w/avocado. But I STILL want salt. There isn't much I can do to cut this craving. I want chips too. It's really hard during pms. The body wants what it wants. Just keep drinking water & tea to keep you feeling "full". Good luck to you!

I just wanted to say that I'm feeling your pain. I had a huge omelet for breakfast w/avocado. But I STILL want salt. There isn't much I can do to cut this craving. I want chips too. It's really hard during pms. The body wants what it wants. Just keep drinking water & tea to keep you feeling "full". Good luck to you!

Are you salting your food? If you're craving salt it's likely your body is telling you that you need more...

Archived