What to do with Olive Oil Mayo from Well Fed.....

lumberjack2001

besides eat it off the spoon? 

I may find that paleo mayo is a red-light food for me, but before I completely ban it from my house, I wonder what everyone else uses it for? I'm hoping that if I turn it into "other" things besides just plain mayo I might have a bit more self-control. It never lasts more than a day or two in my house and I'm the only one who lives here, so it must be me eating it. ;)

Maybe a good "sauce/condiment" for vegetables? I can only eat so much plain steamed broccoli even though I love broccoli. 

I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 in March sometime (depends on some out of town guests) and want to be prepared. I've been eating a paleo diet this week in an effort to prep. I'm also trying to make sure I follow the meal template, which I admittedly wasn't very good at in my last Whole30.

Thanks in advance!

Yep, me too, cannot have it in my house and can no longer make recipes that call for it. Sadz.   :(

I'm sorry to hear that you have the same problem, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I've always had a love for mayo. As a kid I used to eat bread with just mayo on it...nothing else. (and I wonder why I have a weight issue/problems with food....lol)

Chicken salad, tuna salad, potato salad, dressing for salmon, condiment for burgers and sliders, tartar sauce for seafood...

How is mayo a "red-light" food? Are you spooning it from the jar as a snack, or eating so much of it that it pushes out other food from your plate? Because you can eat a lot of it (as part of your template meal) and be perfectly fine.

• Administrators

How is mayo a "red-light" food? Are you spooning it from the jar as a snack, or eating so much of it that it pushes out other food from your plate? Because you can eat a lot of it (as part of your template meal) and be perfectly fine.

For me, it activated my "fat tooth" and I can go through a batch (1.5 cups) of it in a week. I got to the point where I didn't want to eat a meal without it and to me that just felt....wrong.

For me, it activated my "fat tooth" and I can go through a batch (1.5 cups) of it in a week. I got to the point where I didn't want to eat a meal without it and to me that just felt....wrong.

Sweet tooth, I get, but there's a "fat tooth"? What makes that different from a natural enjoyment of ingesting fat?

EDIT:

Also, 1 1/2 cups a week breaks down to about 1 3/4 ounces a day -- which is hardly indulgent.

• Administrators

Sweet tooth, I get, but there's a "fat tooth"? What makes that different from a natural enjoyment of ingesting fat?

EDIT:

Also, 1 1/2 cups a week breaks down to about 1 3/4 ounces a day -- which is hardly indulgent.

Haha, I am totally going with your take! ;)

I've had some disordered eating in my past as well as being a bit of a texture-eater so anytime I come across something that I feel like I cannot or do not want to do without, I take it as a sign that I need to rein it in. It's not the issue of actually eating the fat, it's that particular form of it.

(And no, I'm not sure there is an actual "fat tooth" but for all of us who came from a low fat, fat is bad mentality, it is wonderful to open those boundaries up and eat all the delicious things we never were allowed to have! Olives!! Avocado, coconut milk and mayo. All of those delicious fats! They make my brain very happy.....so maybe it should be "sweet tooth" and "fat brain"?? LOL)

Chicken salad, tuna salad, potato salad, dressing for salmon, condiment for burgers and sliders, tartar sauce for seafood...

Yup - spooning it from the jar and it would only last a day or two.....doing okay this time....made it yesterday and have only used it once on something and haven't eaten any straight from the jar. 

Haha, I am totally going with your take! ;)

I've had some disordered eating in my past as well as being a bit of a texture-eater so anytime I come across something that I feel like I cannot or do not want to do without, I take it as a sign that I need to rein it in. It's not the issue of actually eating the fat, it's that particular form of it.

(And no, I'm not sure there is an actual "fat tooth" but for all of us who came from a low fat, fat is bad mentality, it is wonderful to open those boundaries up and eat all the delicious things we never were allowed to have! Olives!! Avocado, coconut milk and mayo. All of those delicious fats! They make my brain very happy.....so maybe it should be "sweet tooth" and "fat brain"?? LOL)

Lady Shanny, would heavy cream qualify as a fat sugar tooth combo?   I don't make mayo either as it reminds me too much of my heavy cream plan that I did for a year.   My  fat  sugar tooth got me into some "step aside, wide load coming through" issues.  I've never called it a Fat Sugar Tooth, but I will now.    Thanks, Lady Shanny - you've made something apparently clear, once again. 

I'd like to know, I NEED to know...is Heavy Cream a fat sugar combo?  They call it Sweet Cream and it tastes like ice cream.  Did I have a Fat Sugar Tooth?   I've been wanting an answer to this question for 9 months.   

Do you believe all fats are created equal - milk fat?

Lady Shanny, would heavy cream qualify as a fat tooth?   I don't make mayo either as it reminds me too much of my heavy cream plan that I did for a year.   My fat tooth got me into some "step aside, wide load coming through" issues.  I've never called it a Fat Tooth, but I will now.    Thanks, Lady Shanny - you've made something apparently clear, once again. 

Heavy cream plan? Should I even ask? ;)

• Administrators

I can't speak to what they say, but there is lactose in heavy cream.  Lactose is milk sugar.

From Livestrong: Heavy cream is categorized as a high-lactose food, according to Cleveland Clinic. One-half cup of heavy cream contains between 5 and 8 grams of lactose.

Yup - spooning it from the jar and it would only last a day or two.....doing okay this time....made it yesterday and have only used it once on something and haven't eaten any straight from the jar. 

Yes, that would make it a food without brakes for you. Good on you for realizing it!

Kisses and hugs all around.  :) 

Lumberjack - you want to know my Heavy Cream Plan that brought me to the Whole 30?  Alrighty then..... :D 

B - 1 pot of strong coffee and at least 1-2 pints of Heavy Cream 

L - Fish and roasted vege

D - Large mixing bowl of raw salad with every kind of raw vegetable, Bleu Cheese Dressing and protein of beef, fish, pork, turkey or chicken, seafood   

I did this every day for a year.   I didn't have any cheat meals and I didn't binge.   I was stringently dedicated to this plan for a year.   I really did not eat any fruits, no grains, no nuts, no processed anything.   I made my own Bleu Cheese dressing.  Whopping boatloads of Bleu Cheese Dressing every day.

Take away from this FAT SUGAR TOOTH PLAN  - 76 lbs

Scary

Was this a science project?

Nope.   I was just a dope on a rope.

Whole 30 - June 1, 2014

More food brains - yep 

Bike Riding - July 1, 2014 to present day

Steady weight releasing - 4 lbs a month

Haven't felt this good since I was on the track team in high school

Walk and hike between 3-4 miles as part of my dog walking routine

Creeps to 5-7 miles when it's so darned nice outside

Free weights and swimming

36 inches of wide load removed - three feet of  Fat Sugar Tooth damage

Do I go off on thrill eating benders?  Nope.

Did I ever do that?  Nope.

I like routines and I can stick with them because I'm wild at heart.  I need boundaries.

This was a disaster plan that caused me to start hiding from people....at the grocery store, waited for them to pump their gas until I did mine, hiding out at the HOLE IN THE WALL.   I am still working on the hiding from people.  I catch myself doing it and slap myself. My husband's friends try to catch me at the store and it's now a game.  I have eagle eyes and they try to catch me.  I run like the wind.  I live in a small area and all snide remarks come back to you from well meaning family members. It hurt my feelers and hiding was my coping skill.  I still back out of rooms...facing people as I go.  Progress.  Not Perfection.

That was then and this is now.  I posted an entire reintroduction thread on what thrill eating really is.

The Whole 30 has given me more neural pathways.  I borrowed from Tom Denham's cache every chance I had, when I was operating on my old mode.  What I didn't have, he had.  I read every post from the Head Diesel.   Whole 30 is a huge SIGNAL BOOST.  

Attention-Era-Media-Website-Contact-Us-w

Lumberjack - what to do with olive oil?   Everyone knows that mojo exists in the bottom of a mayo jar.   You may be alot faster on the uptake than I was.   You may ease into handling it just fine.....it just takes me longer than 30 days to figure things out.

Yep, me too, cannot have it in my house and can no longer make recipes that call for it. Sadz.   :(

Lady Shanny....when I read what the alternate Universe diets consist of....I'm pretty sure I was Fat Adapted back then.

How much fat can you eat before you're overly fat adapted?

What happens when you're overly fat adapted and start throwing real food carbs back in like sweet/white potatoes?

What happens when you've eliminated all carbs like I did and start relying heavily on fats for years on end?

Would this be the body's natural way of handling being too overly fat adapted by leaving you without any appetite for 24 hours and how an individual can start fasting every other day or several days a week?

Is this the body's way of saying you're going to have to quit eating for hours/days because if you continue with being daily overly fat adapted, you can just throw your visions of a tiny hiney right out the window?  

What happens if your body/mind connection has some faulty wiring and you miss the cues that you should really be fasting instead of OVER consuming ...LARGE amounts of fats every day and  "Houston, we've got a problem".   My moon is over Miami and it's as big as Texas....

What happens when the metabolism slows down after a year or more of being overly fat adapted without any real food carbs?

Who's to say that until you've been there....and find the desire for fat overtaking you because you've dialed all of the other real food carbs away that this may save someone else from the same dope on a rope experiment.

Where do you go from there...do you start fasting 5 days a week and eat for 2 days aweek?      At what point do you stand your ground and say,  I'm not fasting or dieting.   I'm going to eat 3 meals aday  until you can throw my old bones in the boneyard or Marble Orchard.

at least 1-2 pints of Heavy Cream

Whopping boatloads of Bleu Cheese Dressing every day.

Take away from this FAT SUGAR TOOTH PLAN  - 76 lbs

Scary

I think perhaps binge doesn't mean what you think it means?

I think this "fat sugar tooth" talk is pretty silly, to be honest.

MeadowLily, we have had multiple conversations about this in the past.  The problem most likely was not your heavy cream, OR your homemade blue cheese dressing -- it was the quantity consumed, day in and day out.

Have you ever added up the calorie count on the things you were consuming?  I mean, have you ever actually calculated that ... and calculated your actual needs?

I also have to wonder after reading this thread if we are even talking about the same product.  Heavy whipping cream, that I have purchased -- and I have purchased several brands -- NEVER says "sweet cream" anywhere on it, and it is NOT sweet.

at least 1-2 pints of Heavy Cream 

roasted vege

Large mixing bowl of raw salad with every kind of raw vegetable, Bleu Cheese Dressing

Whopping boatloads of Bleu Cheese Dressing every day.

Lady Shanny....when I read what the alternate Universe diets consist of....I'm pretty sure I was Fat Adapted back then.

How much fat can you eat before you're overly fat adapted?

What happens when you're overly fat adapted and start throwing real food carbs back in like sweet/white potatoes?

What happens when you've eliminated all carbs like I did and start relying heavily on fats for years on end?

Would this be the body's natural way of handling being too fat adapted by leaving you without any appetite for 24 hours and how an individual can start fasting every other day or several days a week?

What happens when the metabolism slows down after a year or more of being overly fat adapted?

You did not eliminate all carbs.  

And there is no such thing as "overly" fat adapted.

I wish you would read the books by Phinney & Volek.  They explain in the very beginning of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425065130&sr=8-1&keywords=are+and+science+of+low+carbohydrate+living

about how your ancestors used to specially save and store specific types of fat, and how they even preferred these sources over the muscle meat (which they threw to the dogs).  No one was telling them to do this ... this is what they knew to do, by truly listening to their bodies.  Ancient wisdom.

Now you are asking Lady Shanny to tell you the evils of heavy cream ... for her to tell you about being "overly fat adapted"?  Metabolism slowing down?  Etc?  Well, I guess all I can say is that kirkor and I have done more research and read so many books about keto between the two of us ... I would have hoped that we could have put your mind at ease by now... but apparently not.

Being fat adapted is the normal, natural state of human beings and animals alike.  It is what guaranteed our survival before there were any grocery stores or drive-throughs.  The current state -- everyone being SO dependent on glucose all.the.time... that is what is completely unnatural.

Archived