Newbie Starting Sunday 1st March 2015. In need of support

Day 3 it is guys and it is going very well. I ate all my meals yesterday and so far I have absolutely no complaints. I am blogging and vlogging my journey. If you are interested in seeing I am doing check it out here:

Day 2 blog: http://cebokazi.blogspot.com/2015/03/whole30-day-2.html

Day 2 Vlog: http://youtu.be/r9hDioSQngc

So far on day 3 I have had breakfast : Wors/sausage with a salad

Elleng if I told myself I was starting afresh I would never have the will to go on. Should I figure out I have been eating non compliant things I will just carry on and add on days maybe make it a whole 45 instead of whole30. I just would start counting from 1 again.

You can have bacon on the Whole30! Just watch out with the kind of bacon, if you find organic, pastured bacon without added sugar you're good to go!

I've been doing well alltho I found out I'm still hungry in the afternoon, I have lunch at 12 and diner at 7-8pm so I eat a snack in between. Past 2 days I wasn't prepared now I am. I have something with me to snack on around 4pm (just before I go to my 5pm crossfit class).

Day 1 (March 1)

Meal 1: banana, smoked mackerel, raw carrots

Meal 2: tossed salad (lettuce, red onion, tomato, avocado, olive oil and vinaigre) with 3 homemade paleo shrimp croquettes + 1/2 apple

Meal 3: smoked mackerel, raw carrot

Meal 4: red cabbage with apples and a grilled sausage + prune + 1/8 orange

Day 2 (March 2)

Meal 1: Leftover red cabbage with apple + 4 homemade shrimp croquettes

Meal 2: Poached salmon with steamed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas) + tossed salad topped with olive oil and balsamic vinaigre + 1 piece of fruit (pear)

Meal 3: pork sausage + raw  Nâkd. Cocoa Delight bar

Meal 4: Thai beef salad + sunny side up fried egge + sliced banana and kiwi topped with coconut flakes

Day 3 (March 3)

Meal 1: left over thai salad with 4 streaks crispy bacon + pomelo

Meal 2: salad greens (young spinach and carrots) with smoked salmon and a poached egg, dressing of vinaigre and olive oil

Meal 3: banana blossom in coconut cream

Meal 4: chicken leg with vegetables (I don't know which ones yet)

Hello Cebokazi Zono,

Welcome to the Whole30 and I am sorry about your allergies.  As others have already suggested, it might be a good idea to look into Autoimmune Protocol recipes.  It is also worth it to sign up for the Daily Whole30 newsletters as it does help to keep you accountable and it is also encouraging and I love the little video clips after you clicked on "I did It" link at the end of the newsletters.. it is quite entertaining.

I would like to share the following sites with you and everyone in this group for some recipe ideas.  Like one member also mentioned, keep it simple.  Eat as much as you can whole foods, non-processed and ensure the ingredients on foods (like spices and other condiments) do not have the following:  added sugar of any kind, carrageenan, MSG and Sulfites.  For sulfites, as long as in the bottle, (like Vinegar, for example), if it says on the ingredients contains "naturally occurring sulfites," that is fine and it is Whole30 compliant.

It is a learning process as I am still learning as I go along.

Of the following websites, I know that Chowstalker and PrimalPalate have Auto Immune Protocol recipes.  

chowstalker.com (lots of Whole30 approved recipes)

paleoonabudget.com (for eating Paleo on a budget)

Primalpalate.com (some recipes are compliant, I recommend to avoid for now recipes that require maple syrup or molasses, etc.)

nomnompaleo.com (great recipes)

theclothesthatmakethegirl.com

All the Best and I know you will love how you feel and the changes in your body at the end of the program.

Blessings,

Sheila

I've been eating Paleo since August cebokazi and I've learned to keep it simple. Ofcourse there are a ton of lovely recipes online but I want to keep it doable. I have a life (I work fulltime, workout 3 times a week, have a boyfriend and love to maintain a social life) and food is only 1 part of it. I usually have food on the table in less than half an hour, in the morning It takes me about half an hour as well to prepare breakfast and lunch for the day.  If you want some easy tips just let me know, I'll gladly share them :)

• Administrators

You can have bacon on the Whole30! Just watch out with the kind of bacon, if you find organic, pastured bacon without added sugar you're good to go!

I've been doing well alltho I found out I'm still hungry in the afternoon, I have lunch at 12 and diner at 7-8pm so I eat a snack in between. Past 2 days I wasn't prepared now I am. I have something with me to snack on around 4pm (just before I go to my 5pm crossfit class).

Day 1 (March 1)

Meal 1: banana, smoked mackerel, raw carrots

Meal 2: tossed salad (lettuce, red onion, tomato, avocado, olive oil and vinaigre) with 3 homemade paleo shrimp croquettes + 1/2 apple

Meal 3: smoked mackerel, raw carrot

Meal 4: red cabbage with apples and a grilled sausage + prune + 1/8 orange

Day 2 (March 2)

Meal 1: Leftover red cabbage with apple + 4 homemade shrimp croquettes

Meal 2: Poached salmon with steamed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas) + tossed salad topped with olive oil and balsamic vinaigre + 1 piece of fruit (pear)

Meal 3: pork sausage + raw  Nâkd. Cocoa Delight bar

Meal 4: Thai beef salad + sunny side up fried egge + sliced banana and kiwi topped with coconut flakes

Day 3 (March 3)

Meal 1: left over thai salad with 4 streaks crispy bacon + pomelo

Meal 2: salad greens (young spinach and carrots) with smoked salmon and a poached egg, dressing of vinaigre and olive oil

Meal 3: banana blossom in coconut cream

Meal 4: chicken leg with vegetables (I don't know which ones yet)

Hi Merel007,

We don't want you to be hungry on Whole30 and understandably if you are going 7-8 hours between lunch and dinner, you'd need a snack.  I would encourage you to make that snack a protein, fat and veggie mini meal. 

I think you could probably afford to eat a bit more overall, especially since you are saying you're hungry between meals.  Don't let the fruit push the veggies off your plate.  Our fruit recommendation is 1-2 servings per day where a serving is a piece the size of your fist. 

The Nak'd bar that you reference is not a compliant product and should not be used on a Whole30 except for an absolute emergency where you do not have any other option (travelling, long distance exercise, stuck at work/in traffic for hours).  They should not be planned in as part of a meal.  

Hullo.  I started March 1 - so Day 4 now.  I am so very grumpy and tired and achy.  I am just amazed at how grumpy & how much I ache.  Prior to this, I didnt eat gluten, I had quit processed sugar, no softdrinks, no milk.  I still had cheese (condiment only), eggs, capsicum, tomato, chilli.  I am happy to give these up for a month or 3 to reset and find out what optimum health is for me (I have fibro) - with the hope that I can reintroduce stuff successfully.  I'm not getting cravings - but I just want to nap & K.A.T. (either order).  I'm at work. I'm grateful for the post about having to find sugar free bacon - I had not really put two-and-two together on how they smoke the bacon.  Darn.  But I havent eaten any so far, so I dont have to restart (hooray).  Just groggy & grumpy.  I'm at work - I pitty the poor sucker who knocks on my door.  grump grump grump grumpity grump grump.   I suppose I do have a craving in a way - I crave sleep. ha

Oh - the reason I posted -

I have found the "Autoimmune Cookbook" by Mickey Trescott to be the most useful for the autoimmune Whole30. 

Here is the page where Melissa reviews it http://whole30.com/2014/07/recipe-ebooks/  It's an affordable e-book download.

I have the The Paleo Approach for Autoimmune Disease: by Sarah Ballantyne, PhD - on my iPad, but I havent read it yet.  http://whole30.com/2014/03/paleo-approach/ - will keep you posted when I do.

I have downloaded a few other e-books that claim "AIP" but am cross - as they include honey or eggs or SWYPO recipes - grumble.

85_amazing_aip_breakfasts - a few SWYPO recipes (dissappointing as I dont even want to see that right now)

28_days_of_aip - a few honey recipes (So, I dont use this book as I dont want to go off-plan by mistake.

The others I have seen all include AIP no-go's such as eggs and capsicum and chilli spices. I plan to use Well Fed & Nom Nom when I am re-introducing. Here is the link where these are reviewed: http://whole30.com/2013/07/whole30-meal-plans/

To be honest - it is all about habit.  I can whack on the skillet with 2btsp of coconut oil, some himilayan rock salt and a small salmon steak (skin down) and a small pot with a steamer collander in it - and walk away for 5 min in the morning to pack my bag and come back to cooked food - which I then either sit and eat or box up for the drive (I will address this poor whole9 habit immenently I promise).  I know my stove (I know I need a LOUD timer as I lose track of time). 

I have tried the Trescott AIP beef patty - but added shredded pear and shredded zuccini into it (as I am not a MEAT first thing in the morning fan as yet). 

Mornings are the trickiest for me - I struggle with meat (gut is healing) & cant really do fruit (as I crash) - I do have the occasional smoothy (avocado, spinach, zuccini, coconut milk, slice of pear or slice of pineapple, and some fish oil/spirulina).  Oh gosh - now that i have said that - is spirulina compliant?  Geez - I hope so.  Otherwise I am back to square one. 

grizzle

End of Day 4. 

Summary of my conversation with my partner:

me "hey babe, remember a few days ago when I mentioned I started this Whole30 thing, and there might be days where I am in a bit of mood and probably wouldn't care if you left me and took all my shoes?"

him "yes"

me "this would be one of those days"

him "ah"

me "tomorrow isn't looking so good either"

him "greeeaaat"

me "on the bright side, the only craving I am struggling with is the one where I want to smack people upside the head.  I haven't had a food craving yet!"

OK - end of day 6 (Australia).

discovered that bacon has sugar in it.  the horror.

Fortunately, this was before I had put any in my food.

So - have bought prosciutto instead.

Also discovered that the preserved herbs I use "Gourmet Garden" also have sugar in them AND milk solids!! sheesh - thank goodness I am reading packets.

my first day getting caught out without food (plans changed).  proud of myself - went to the grocery store and bought smoked salmon and prosciutto and rolled up a few together for a quick fix.  yum.

have read through some of the posts where husbands have not been that supportive.  would just like to share my 2 year storey.  I started my wellness journey 2 years ago (goodbye fad diets, hello starting to eat good food).  At first I did try to get my partner on board - and he was not supportive at all.  In hindsight, I can now see that he felt very threatened by the notion of what he felt he was giving up, and his little SWYPO relationship with all the processed food he liked.  So - I just cracked on with my journey.  As the food shopper & main cook - I bought & cooked for me.  He would still buy meat pies & bread rolls & sugar.    But over the two years, as I have experimented, I get him to taste things as I cook (honey, taste this, does it need more salt?) and he has noticed that when he eats well at home - and then has a binge on pies & chips - he doesn't feel so good.  And here we are, 2yrs later, he is sharing recipes with his friends, he is actually experimenting at the kitchen with a new Whole30 recipe - AND HE ACTUALLY BOUGHT CHICKEN GIBLETS HOME - my first foray into offal courtesy of my man - you could just knock me over with a feather.  One of the main things that has helped - is slowly & steadily over the past 2 years, I have been influencing our whole lifestyle away from the "chips & TV" lifestyle.  Nothing major.  Its like my honey's wardrobe - I don't throw out all the stuff he hates at once.  I have a 5yr plan for getting rid of 5 items of clothing, and introducing new stuff.  slow & steady.  you don't want to alarm your hunter to go into his fight/flight response. 

PS - giblets taste like chicken, but rubbery.  maybe good for a stew or a pie?

Thanks for the input ladyshany! Last days are getting better, only eating 3 meals and tried to keep fruitintake lower. Instead of eating a whole fruit as dessert I switched to 1/2 piece as dessert (for lunch and diner), I know that's something I need to work on as well. I started drinking more water as well so I don't need the 3 meals anymore (I tend to confuse hunger and thirst).

End of Day 8

went to 2 birthday parties.  held the most delicious looking icecream birthday cake.  even got it on my fingers as I served it.  its an effort to catch yourself licking your fingers.  but I didn't.

I might have had a SWYPO - mashed banana, coconut paste & coconut chips.  and I might have overdone the fruit.  bought pelegrino sparkling water (bit more fancy) for the day.

I had prepared by sending an email to the hosts when I started the Whole30 with that list of what we cant have (with the AIP added bits of egg & tomatoes et) - as a "hey guess what, this is what I am doing this month" as part of my planning.  So - they had a salad for me and a bit of meat for me that were all compliant - and didn't make noise regarding the drinks (one even had lemon slices for me - so sweet).  So, a compliant day without much effort!! yay!

Am a bit sad today - as my fave tea is chai - and I am pretty sure the spices (cardamom & aniseed) are an AIP no-no.

• Administrators

Thanks for the input ladyshany! Last days are getting better, only eating 3 meals and tried to keep fruitintake lower. Instead of eating a whole fruit as dessert I switched to 1/2 piece as dessert (for lunch and diner), I know that's something I need to work on as well. I started drinking more water as well so I don't need the 3 meals anymore (I tend to confuse hunger and thirst).

Sorry, what do you mean you "don't need the 3 meals anymore"? 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived