Today is My Day 1

homerfrizzell

Hi everyone. Today is day 1 for me. I've been eating mostly in a W30 fashion for the last year and a half except that I cooked with butter, had the occasional half spoonful of ice cream, bowl of miso soup or glass of wine. I had a soft start yesterday and was pleased with kombucha so am optimistic. I also plan to make some kefir with coconut milk and water grains.

I think there will be two main challenges: wine and dining out. For wine, I think kombucha and other types of teas (plus the kefir, if I'm successful) will be able to fill the void (at least for 30 days). As to dining out, today at lunch I opted not to go for sushi for fear of miso soup. What do others do when they go out for sushi? Green tea and sashimi? Or is the best option when dining out mussels, or a bunless burger over greens? What about bbq? Too much sugar?

Thank you.

Homer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Welcome!

I favor restaurants where I can get simple meals where I don't have to ask a lot of questions about sauces. I've done sushi successfully by going the green tea and sashimi route, as you anticipated. I have places where I ask to substitute grilled vegetables or fresh spinach for rice. It can work.

Welcome Homer

I dont have too many sushi restaurants nearby so i haven't had the issue. My advice for eating out would be to do your research (check the menu online) before going an dont be afraid to ask for substitutions. At first i didnt like to ask but the staff are generally very accoodating.

Best of luck with your whole 30.

There aren't many sushi places near me, perhaps more in Edinburgh than Glasgow though. I love haggis and have been looking for a gluten free variety to try. Haggis is brilliant but not whole 30 compliant. There is so much of Scotland I haven't seen and Thetford so many places I wouldn't know to recommend. I really love going to Aberdeen and Inverness and the surrounding areas. If you are a fans of whisky you'll be spoiled for choice. Id recommend heading north of Inverness where you'd find some lovely little distilleries.

I had a dream last night. I was at a wedding reception and drank wine, ate cheese thus ending my Whole 30. I woke up and after the fog cleared was relieved - like you wake up thinking you have to go to work and it's the weekend - it was just a dream and that today was Day 4. I will be at a wedding reception this weekend. I have let my father-in-law know that I left my drinking shoes at home so I should have him in my corner. Wish me luck.

Have a nice weekend!

I went to the gym today and had an encounter with the scale. It was calling me, showing 166 lbs as I walked by to my locker - I knew I would be less than that and thought how satisfying it would be to slide the bar down towards 160, maybe even below it (one can hope). I resisted but may use a locker on the other side of the locker room next time.

Congrats on resisting the lure of the scales Homer. :) I'm on.... <counts>... Day 11 today - wow, 11 days without booze - incredible for me (that sounds a bit tragic, doesn't it?).

I have to confess to having weighed once, a couple of days back. Haven't felt the urge to get back on but it did show an approx 7lb loss in one week - pretty amazing. I'll be happy to have shifted just a few more by the end of my Whole30 (or 28 in my case; we're off to Greece on the 22nd).

Good luck over the next few days :)

Nice to hear Day 10 feels "great." :)

Day 6 here and still having occasional headaches, but nothing like the raging one from Day2!

And the hardest thing so far is wine....I'm with you, Charlotte...hating to admit that it's a big feat to go 6 days without a glass of wine. I think it's the ritual part of it. I almost always have a half glass or so while cooking dinner and also when I'm doing laundry in the evening, such habits to break! Also Diet Coke...we have a long, torrid relationship. And it's certainly feeling that way at the moment. ;-)

Yesterday and today I've not been hungry really. Just force-fed myself breakfast - busy day ahead, knew I had to get it in - but I really did not feel hungry at all. Feels odd to not want to eat anything at all.

Thanks for posting and sharing...so nice to have company!

Avoiding the ritual/wine temptation right now.... making beef goulash (from The Paleo Cookbook) which is hands-off for 2+ hours....not standing around in the kitchen with all that yummy aroma helps!

Also did some menu planning for the next few days - that always seems to help avoid the no-nos. OK time to get the last of my work/paperwork finished before dinner....

Almost to Day7! :)

It is fermented with a sugar so you need to make sure the final product doesn't have much in it: I go with GT's - from their web site:

"What It Is - Totally raw, All natural, Organic, Naturally anti-bacterial/anti-fungal, Low in carbohydrates, Low calorie Naturally rejuvenating, Vegan, Kosher."

It has a nice fizziness going on - it's not too sweet though I wouldn't mind if it were less so.

I don't make it but will look into doing so. In other beverage news, I will be making coconut milk kefir with water kefir grains soon.

I went to the gym today and, wouldn't you know it, chose the locker right next to the scales. They read 173 lbs so I knew I'd be sliding the thingy way to the left. Even so, it was even easier to resist the temptation this time. I am still scales free (makes me sound like I used to be a fish). Any issues with taking readings with a tailor measuring tape, though?

It was a good day. The pickles I made came out nice, if a bit soft (will track down some grape leaves for the next batch).

Tonight I celebrated a friend's birthday out in Brooklyn. Had no problem sticking with club soda and water though I must confess to looking longingly at the glasses of red wine that everyone else had. When it was time to order I told the server that I couldn't have grains or dairy. I was accommodated with special versions of the salad and the main course (artichoke salad and steak over greens) - I was very pleased. I skipped the scallops (butter), mac 'n cheese and dessert. Fellow diners asked me if it was allergies - rather than get into a big explanation and distract from the ongoing birthday celebration I just said yes. I know, I wimped out. I don't feel too badly about it (should I?). Tomorrow is Day 13.

Today is Day 14. No problem - a cup of black coffee, softish boiled egg and a banana for breakfast, lamb chop, arugula and a tomato for lunch and then a CFish workout - locker was on the other side of the locker room from the scales so no problem there, either. Have a social event tonight but I will eat before.

Yesterday was a bit rough - football. It was one of those games where your team is not playing anywhere near as well as it should be so you're stressed - I don't yell at the computer but if I were that kind of person, you'd have heard me. I used to have wine while I listened to games but that wasn't an option so I substituted food; radishes, nuts wrapped in fatback, pickles and tomatoes. I got through it though. Lesson: have kombucha on standby for next week.

SO with you on the football thing. Had to put myself in a "time out" last night to fend off the we're-watching-football-and-doing-laundry-ritual-which-requires-WINE crazy cravings. I made it, but I was pretty grumpy. Must get a better plan together for next weekend....

I was feeling kind of silly that I felt a little sad about it...but it's nice to know i wasn't the only one who found football day to be rough. :)

Archived