Today is My Day 1

homerfrizzell

Sure was. I've got a couple of park dance performances to go to the next couple of Sundays so those will bump me out of the Sunday routine. Going forward I think I will plan to slow cook something (brisket, beef tongue, a chili?) and plan to have kombucha chilled and ready to go.

Yesterday was my Day 15. I went to a ukulele jam - where usually I would have had wine I had kombucha - it was a nice feeling walking to the subway afterwards - not only was it a good jam but I felt clear headed and had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I'm tackling all these events, these occasions, where I would usually have less than ideal food and a glass or two of wine and surviving - thriving. I've got another event tonight, have checked out the menu and already know what I can eat.

Have a great day!

Homer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, Day 17. No problem with last night's social event despite multiple toasts (water with lemon, Slainte!). Tonight is the CSA pickup: 2 Delicata Winter Squash, 3 lbs Carrots, a bunch of Hakurei Turnips, an Eggplant, 2 Sweet Bell Peppers, 3 Leeks, a bunch of Rainbow Chard, a head of Lettuce, some Cilantro, 1 lb String Beans and 2 lbs of Tomatoes. Preparation suggestions are welcome.

Have an awesome day.

Good morning, Jaylee!

All's well in NYC. I successfully navigated a game at Yankee Stadium yesterday afternoon - I made sure to eat enough before and had water while there. Concessions came around with ice cream (Turkey Hill), beer (Miller and Stella), cotton candy, peanuts and Cracker Jacks - I was not tempted.

Today I'll be doing a bit of cooking to get ready for the week; I've got chicken gizzards, liver and a goat shoulder roast thawed so there will be some slow cooker action.

Today's also football - the game I'm most interested in is at 1:00 but I'll be out of the house from 1:30 - 3:00 so don't expect to be too tempted to snack or have wine during the game.

What's on the docket in Texas? Are you ready for some football?

Good afternoon! Good for you for avoiding all those stadium "treats." :)

Also watching football and doing laundry and cooking up things for the week ahead - planning is key, for sure, or I know I'll justify a slip-up. Just watched the Texans win...currently watching Philly get beat. (Though I wish it had been by a little more, the Ravens are my fantasy defense! ;-)) Staying busy with other things and just having the game on in the background is helping me not want to sit down and snack/drink wine...

Alright, I should get back to the kitchen...working on roasted chickens and meatballs and might try to start a batch of sauerkraut. Maybe.

Enjoy the day!

I think I have a cold and/or the toxins are working their way out of me - mildly sore throat, some sneezing and a runny nose. Second time during the Whole 30 I've had something like this. Last time it was about three days so I expect this one to be over soon. I'm not complaining - it's more an FYI for anyone doing the Whole 30 that these things do happen or at least they have for me.

I cooked the goat and the gizzards together yesterday/this morning - the gizzards along with some sweet potatoes are today's lunch. Breakfast was some chilled sea trout I had roasted for yesterday's breakfast. I like chilled fish for breakfast. It's a good choice if you're looking to mix it up a bit from eggs and sausage/bacon.

Day 21, here we go. Have a good day, everyone!

Homer

The allergy season has definitely started here...so there's that. Everyone seems to be sneezing and complaining about it. Mine don't usually start until November, so I have that to look forward to! :)

Things are good - Day 20 here. Feeling rather settled into it...only tempted to go off plan when I don't plan - which feels more about convenience than it does craving. Meal planning this afternoon for the last 10 days.

The pants I had on yesterday weren't just loose...they need to be altered. So, I'm guessing when I do finally get on a scale, that's going to surprise me. Looking forward to that!

And no, the sauerkraut got pushed to today, actually....I had a non-profit emergency and that always messes with my calendar. But today is looking good. (After a quick trip to the dentist.)

glad to hear you are feeling better!

almost there......

Yes, I am. It's Day 24. And aside from the itchy-eyed morning sneezes I am doing great - fantastic. In fact, I am debating having another hole drilled into the belt that used to be snug, I'm enjoying food (even more than before) and have pretty even energy throughout the day. When I don't I know it's because I didn't have the greatest night's sleep. I've decided that the first thing I will work in post-30 is a glass of wine but for now it's one day at a time.

Day 25. Started off the morning with two sneezes - that's almost civilized. I don't know what it is but I've got more energy today than I have had throughout my whole Whole 30. Could it be the bone roasted marrow, squash, lamb kidneys and kombucha I had for dinner? Watching the 1966 Batman movie? The good night's sleep? Day 25ness? I don't know but I like it.

Have a great day.

Day 29 - finishing strong. Energy's good, still have some allergy symptoms but I've heard they're pretty bad now around NYC. Other than that, I have no complaints.

It's almost the end of my Whole 30 - I've been on a super highway without exits for 30 days zipping along to my goals. Post Whole 30 there will be exits and rest stops, dirt roads and dead ends, all sorts of other options, some of which will be fun to explore (a glass of red wine avec dark chocolat, anyone?). I'll explore some of those gradually so I know which roads and trails work and which don't but I'll be sticking pretty close to the highway.

Have a great day, everyone!

Day 30!

Yesterday was the last day at the gym (which is where the scales are) before this W30 I ends. As part of yesterday's CrossFit'ish workout we ran knee highing it a hundred yards or so and back with a big rubber band around us as someone kept tension, slowing us up. (There's probably a much more concise term for that exercise - Elastic Person Pull?) The guy I was paired with asked how much I weighed I told him 160 - I figured I should be down 3 pounds over the course of the Whole 29 at that point. Afterwards, he said there was no way I was 160 (several times, including twice in the locker room). I told him I had just had good leverage and that I was 160. I confess to being tempted to step on the scales then and there to prove it but told him I'd step on them Thursday (next class).

Being careful of what I eat out, extensive label reading, not having wine (or a pickle juice martini - especially since I made some pickles special for them) and staying off the scales were my biggest challenges. I'm especially pleased about the scales because it's easy to rationalize why it would be OK to check your progress with them and say you wouldn't get discouraged or overly encouraged with the results. Then you would have to do it again and again.

Have a great day,

Homer

I stepped on the scales today - 156. The guy who thought I was more than 160 weighed more than he thought: 167.

I'd like to think I'd have been fine if the scale showed 170 but since it didn't I can't say that with certainty. I can say that I feel awesome and I'm going to take it real slow with reintroducing things. Tonight I will either have a glass of wine or a pickle juice martini - as you would say, Derval, "Sláinte!"

Congratulations, loved reading your posts. I'm on day 10. I thought I'd miss sugar and diet pop the most, I thought I "needed" them. But I actually miss alcohol the most, I think most related to social rituals. I'll be having a lovely bourbon on the rocks come the end of my 30. And perhaps a lovely piece of cheese (though not with the bourbon). But I can honestly see eating like this forever, with little offroad trips here and there. All these posts about kombucha have me intrigued.....

Archived