Your Whole30 Island

ladyshanny

>Carrots (I'm tempted to just say root vegetables to get beets, parsnips, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, and jicama)

Ya, nah, that'd be cheating ;)

Sure it would.  But hey, it'd give me more to trade with those folks who've got coffee and nectarines.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These lists are a great source of new food ideas! 

Here's my current list:

water (seems obvious, but no water = no bueno)

coconut EVERYTHING (sorry, but I really can't pick just one and my entire list would be full of coconut-this and coconut-that)

eggs

zucchini

apples

sweet potatoes

olives (with which I will also make olive oil)

chicken

salmon

lemons

Whole chicken (need dem bones for broth!)

grass fed beef

berries

baby salad greens (the tub from Costco)

mayo

eggs

almonds

coconuts

lemons or limes

onions

sweet potatoes

and if I could have more--tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbages, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower--I could trade knitted sunhats for coffee and nectarines! 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the next step is to take this list and try to make a meal plan using only these foods. :P

I'm thinking about doing this for a month...tweaking my ten items now. Going to count "chicken" as a meta-item since I could have meat & eggs within the spirit of the game.

• Administrators

I'm thinking about doing this for a month...tweaking my ten items now. Going to count "chicken" as a meta-item since I could have meat & eggs within the spirit of the game.

Oh, that's quite a challenge, any reason why? Would you dump something like coffee so that you can put in more food items?

It's something I've contemplated before, related to batch cooking, menu planning (Tuesday would "always" be pot roast night, e.g.), ease of shopping, speed & consistency of cooking, dialed-in calories & macros for fitness purposes, etc. I've been dairy-free keto since the first of the year, and so my food choices are already a lot narrower than most, so it probably wouldn't be too terribly difficult.

The coffee I'm leaving in, partly because I just really like it made from an AeroPress over ice, and partly because I think it's fun to use one of the precious slots for it, kinda like a ship captain choosing who gets to go on the lifeboat. :)

Fun game!

1. Eggs

2. Coconut (and I'm going to have to learn to make milk and oil...)

3. Onions

4. Broccoli

5. Yams

6. Whole Chicken

7. Sunbutter

8. Limes

9. Red Bell Peppers

10. Avocado

This looks a whole lot like my weekly grocery list actually...

• Administrators

Thanks kirkor! I have to keep an eye out for those Okinawan sweet potatoes. I'm super curious now. :)

I tried them awhile ago and Did Not Enjoy!  I am a lover of the japanese sweet potato (purple skin, white flesh...the one that Mark says he finds too sweet).  

I tried them awhile ago and Did Not Enjoy!  I am a lover of the japanese sweet potato (purple skin, white flesh...the one that Mark says he finds too sweet).  

ladys, the ones you love (japanese) are the ones I grew up eating as a kid in TO. Or rather they're the ones my mom always bought and steamed. It was her mid-day snack. :) I was curious about the Okinawa variety. Do they keep their purple hue after they're cooked? Are they less sweet, more neutral?

• Administrators

ladys, the ones you love (japanese) are the ones I grew up eating as a kid in TO. Or rather they're the ones my mom always bought and steamed. It was her mid-day snack. :) I was curious about the Okinawa variety. Do they keep their purple hue after they're cooked? Are they less sweet, more neutral?

I'm in love with the Japanese ones.

The ones that I bought to try had a purple skin and purple flesh and yes, they stayed purple.  The color was, quite honestly, kind of offputting.  Combined with the really pudding-y texture of a well baked sweet potato it felt a little like eating a cooked Muppet.  So there was that. ;)

The flavour of the one I had was like.....dirt? Mould? Straw? I found it very...er....yucky.

Great question! I just started so it's good to get more ideas.

COFFEE lol

Whole chicken

Sockeye salmon

Baby spinach

Avocado

Eggs

Olives

Spaghetti squash

Brussel sprouts

Mixed nuts

I am noticing my list is heavy on the healthy fats. Wonder if that's ok. Haha

Spices are a given. ;)

The one noncompliant food I would take would be raw honey. :)

Wow, this is hard!

Chicken

beef

coconut

greens

eggs

pepper

avocado

sweet potatoes

onion

fish

If these are just the foods you'd bring to an island, you could get really sneaky and bring non-food items separately..  like a fishing rod.  B)

• Administrators

you are all making it too hard.  I don't even need 10 items:

Meat

Poultry

Vegetables

Eggs

Oranges

Seeds

Nuts

Olives

Vinegar --you'd be amazed how sad your life is without acid, wakes up food!

Haha, I wouldn't need 10 slots if I put "meat" as one and "vegetables" as one either.  ;)

Archived