Book or resource specifically about children

JoyfulLove

Does anyone have a suggestion for a great book or resource for Whole30/paleo for kids? I love how ISWF summarizes all the basic info about health, nutrients, etc. in one place. I'd like to read something similar that is geared specifically for kids. My husband and I recently finished our first Whole30. We had great results and are continuing with a new Paleo lifestyle. My new task is to get our two boys on board. We've been at it with them for about two weeks now. Our 16th month old has adapted well. He's loving meat for the first time ever and is trying new veggies. We've transitioned him off milk, yogurt, and all other dairy. Our six year old is having a tougher time. He's old enough to miss his old foods and put up a fight. Giving him paleo versions of muffins, snacks, etc is definitely helping. He's eating much more meat than ever before although veggies are not in his repertoire, none, not any, he pretends to throw up every time he has to taste one. Patience is certainly necessary for me at every mealtime! But we'll keep going and hopefully things will continue to improve. He has no idea I've been sneaking veggies into his smoothies! I'm confident he'll come around eventually, it's just a longer process with him. Anyway, our pediatrician is concerned about the lack of calcium in their diets. My little one also has had on-going issues with his weight so she is concerned that without grains and dairy he is not going to gain enough weight. I wish that I had a book with info about paleo specifically for kids so that I would have a comprehensive resource to use when talking with her. I love our pediatrician and it's hard to go against what she is telling me. It sounds crazy when I say, "Well I read on a website that..." I just don't feel like I know enough to have an intelligent conversation. Any suggestions for a great resource would be appreciated.

Paleo diets don't get a lot of respect from traditional doctors so it's not surprising that your pediatrician is concerned. Most doctors probably want to see more long term studies or "generations" of paleo living/choices in order to feel comfortable with it. Meanwhile, conventional diets/eating are still the suggested norm.

Have you read Sarah Fragoso or Michelle Tam discuss raising kids in a paleo household? It might be helpful.

http://whole9life.com/2012/05/paleo-pals/

Archived