Alexia Yukon Select Frozen Hash Browns

caitlino

Hi All! I'm on day 6 of my first whole 30 and things are going great so far. I bought a package of Alexia Yukon Select frozen hash browns with this ingredient list: potatoes, sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, autolyzed yeast. Is the autolyzed yeast a problem? It also lists "sugars less than 1g" on the nutrition facts, but is this just because of the naturally occurring sugars in the potatoes since no sugar is listed in the ingredients? Thanks! I just want to make sure... don't want to have any accidental "cheats". :)

Yukon-Select-Hashed-Browns-large.png    Yukon Select Hashed Browns with Onion, Garlic & White Pepper

Serving Size: 2/3 cup (about 84g) Servings per container: About 9 Calories [per serving]: 60 Calories from Fat: 0 DAILY % Total Fat 0.0g 0% Saturated Fat 0.0g 0% Trans Fat 0.0g   Poly- 
unsaturated
Fat 0.0g Mono- 
unsaturated
Fat 0.0g Cholesterol 0.0mg 0% Sodium 310mg 13% Potassium 310mg 9% DAILY % Total Carbohydrate 13g 4% Dietary Fiber 2g 8% Sugars less than 1g   Protein 2g   Vitamin A   0% Vitamin C   10% Calcium   0% Iron   4% Ingredients: Potatoes, Sea Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, Autolyzed Yeast..

One ingredient real foods are always the best choice.   Making your own potatoes would be the preferred option.  This is a convenient food but one that could easily be overused over one ingredient real foods.

One ingredient real foods break the cycles of fast, convenient foods.  Meals comprised of "one" ingredients -fish, broccoli, potato, leafy lettuce, avocado...in their natural and whole state can be enjoyed without any repercussions.  Tread lightly with processed foods as they are a reminder or a replacement of all of the old formations and favorites.   

Is the autolyzed yeast a problem? It also lists "sugars less than 1g" on the nutrition facts, but is this just because of the naturally occurring sugars in the potatoes since no sugar is listed in the ingredients? Thanks! I just want to make sure... don't want to have any accidental "cheats". :)

Autolyzed yeast isn't optimal - making your own homemade hash browns would be the best option. Its inclusion in this product doesn't rule this out as compliant.

And yes, you're right on the sugars.  Ingredients lists rule on a Whole30.  If there is sugar or any sweetener in the ingredients list, it's out. 

Archived