Picnic/brown bag lunch

RuthintheDesert

• Administrators

To be honest, I eat "picnic" every day.  I choose not to microwave my food so I typically just eat my lunch cold and I only ever bring leftovers from whatever we had the night before.  I take it out of the fridge in the morning and about 5-6 hours later it's just "cool".  So far (a couple years now) nothing has been yucky when eaten cold.

When I was packing lunches for my husband he really enjoyed scotch eggs, leftover breakfast casserole, and rolled up lunch meat. (When we could find compliant lunchmeat that didn't cost an arm and a leg, that is...) The standard veggie fare was carrots, cucumber, and celery, but we also did raw mushrooms, sliced pear, and one day I splurged and sent him off with heirloom tomato and basil salad. I usually sent a few sauces/dips with him too--mustard and salsa for the meat and veggies, coconut butter or almond butter if I packed fruit for him.

To be honest, I eat "picnic" every day.  I choose not to microwave my food so I typically just eat my lunch cold and I only ever bring leftovers from whatever we had the night before.  I take it out of the fridge in the morning and about 5-6 hours later it's just "cool".  So far (a couple years now) nothing has been yucky when eaten cold.

We call this eating "hobo-style", and I do it every day also.  In the old SAD days I would crack open a can of soup and eat it straight out of the can, without heating it.  Nowadays it's just that I'm too lazy to put my lunch in the fridge at work.  It sits in my insulated lunch bag behind my desk. I haven't had any problems with it going bad in just a few hours.  So happy to hear that I'm not the only one :D

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this.  I am going on a Universal Studios trip with my girlfriends for a birthday.  I'm on day 4 now but will be on Day 19 then.

I think I can carry food in a backpack and would use an ice pack or two, but I will be there all day and into the night.

Will probably eat a good breakfast first of course.  

Would love more ideas for Meal 2 and Meal 3! 

Best bets are a compliant pouch of tuna or can of wild sardines. Just bring a fork. Sardines are surprisingly delicious. Bring baby carrots or similar, can last awhile without refrigeration.

I have never, ever eaten sardines.  Am always intrigued by those that say they love it.  I will try anything though.  Will have to get some before that day in case it doesn't like me back. haha. Thanks!

Archived