Eggplant ideas?

leiadowns

• Administrators

If you want something a bit more out of the ordinary, google "Imam Bayildi". It's a turkish eggplant dish. Some recipes might not be Whole30 compliant but just click around, you can certainly find lots of variations that are.

I'm a very basic cook.  :D

Roast or grill it.

grilled-eggplant-pasta-seasoning.jpg

Instructions

grilled-eggplant.jpg

1. Heat the Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Prepare the Eggplant: Cut the stem end and bottom off the eggplant, then cut it in half lengthwise. Score the flesh with a knife, cutting deep into the flesh but not through the skin. 

3. Brush with Oil: Brush the eggplant flesh with  Whole 30  compliant oil and put it face-down on a baking sheet.

4. Roast the Eggplant: Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until the back of the eggplant looks collapsed and puckered.

5. Let the Eggplant Cool: Let the eggplant cool for 10 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. It can be scooped out of the peel for use in dips, or eaten plain with its antioxidant-rich peel and a sprinkle of lemon juice.

Or you can slice,  oil both sides and grill on low  - simple, quick and easy or (lengthwise, too)

fc87de049-02_xlg.jpg

grilled-eggplants1.jpg

Pressed for time,  oil and grill whole

8385822d51b64b568a57191cac2b79de4dClrd.J

• Moderators

I second Shannon's recommendations.

The Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata is CRAZY GOOD. Especially if you make it ahead a day or two and let the flavors meld as recommended in the recipe.

This Baba Ganoush is good.  Or if you'd prefer something with a more eggplant parmesan type flavor, maybe this Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata

• Administrators

I second Shannon's recommendations.

The Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata is CRAZY GOOD. Especially if you make it ahead a day or two and let the flavors meld as recommended in the recipe.

Agree, that is the first recipe that taught me that I don't hate eggplant!  :)

I make a sort of Moussaka/Lasagne layer bake where slices of eggplant become my pasta sheets.

Fry a fine diced onion in your choice of cooking fat until softened but not brown, add in diced carrot and celery and soften, then add in minced lamb and keep cooking until well browned, finally add in lots of chopped tomatoes, a dollop of tomato paste and seasoning and reduce down until quite thick.  You can add any herbs of your choice, I used Herbs de Provence in my version.

Prepare a baking dish by greasing and putting a layer of quite thin sliced eggplant on the bottom.  Cover with some of the lamb sauce mix, top with a layer of eggplant and repeat ending with a layer of sauce over the top.  Bake for about 45 minutes in a medium oven or until the eggplant is soft and gooey (yummy).  I also have made a variation of this with layers of sweet potato with the eggplant which adds a sort of creamy texture to the dish.

This dish when allowed to cook slightly can be portioned up in squares just like lasagne and it also freezes really well so make up a big batch and you'll have some for now, some for later in the fridge and some for some time in the future too.

My very very favorite eggplant dish is to slice it thick (1/2" or so), dip in egg, then coat in almond meal or cashew meal (yes, that's a thing, lol). Season as desired (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, etc). Baste lightly with melted coconut oil or ghee and broil for 3-4 minutes per side. Top with (compliant) marinara sauce.

I think I just figured out what I'm making for dinner! :P

Oh, don't forget to salt the eggplant and let it stand in a strainer for 20 minutes or so, otherwise you'll end up with mooshy eggplant, and that's no bueno!

Archived