1st Whole30, Day 20 with glutened symptoms. Need AIP? Say it isn't so...

I've been mostly gluten/sugar free for 2 1/2 years due to sensitivity/allergy. It was lifechanging to say the least (for the better).

I've been experiencing increased mucus in my sinuses and lungs as well as mild headaches and stiff joints/mild pain in my fingers and toes for almost a week now. This is exactly what happens when I eat gluten, but I've been strictly following the program.

I'm wondering if I need to adapt the AIP protocol at this point? I'm obviously reacting to something and as much as I'm going to miss eggs, I really want to figure it out!

I try to stay away from white potatoes, but my hubby is doing Whole30 with me and that is kind of a staple for him, so I'll eat them sometimes because hey, someone else prepared them. He's not exactly embracing all the new veggies I am, but no complaints because I still can't believe he agreed to do this with me if you know what I mean. Ha!

So, does following the AIP protocol seem like the next step? I did not eat anywhere near the amount of eggs that I am eating on Whole30. They have become a breakfast staple for me. I now always have hardboiled eggs in the fridge in case of emergency. I will miss peppers, tomatoes and cashews very much. I was LOVING eating spaghetti sauce over my zoodles. It had been over 2 years not eating spaghetti and I was in heaven. *sigh*

I'm also in my early 40's and have eaten horribly my whole life. I may not exactly be feeling "tiger blood", but the changes in my life have been substantial and significant and I'm super happy about it. While I haven't weighed myself, my clothes are fitting like they did pre-holidays. I beat the sugar dragon that had become my frenemy since the holidays. That's why this whole, mucus, headache, joint discomfort are driving my crazy. I should NOT be feeling these symptoms. :)

Thanks much for any thoughts you have!

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

How are your stress levels right now?  Stress sometimes produces some interesting responses.  Do you notice a clear correlation to AIP foods and your symptoms?  

After living a whole 9 life for a good 2.5 years I have discovered that I have some pretty severe IBS issues that I have never noticed before.  I'm talking severe cramping, bloating, nose leaking, multiple trips to the bathroom.  I couldn't figure it out.  I wasn't eating gluten.  But I also wasn't feeling like this all the time.  I too was blaming nightshades, eggs, and nuts as I have 2 known AI skin conditions.  But they clear right up when I am doing a whole 30.  So doing an AIP didn't feel quite right.  Now I know I can't really overdo the AIP foods too much - at most I can have something with tomatoes twice a week, and peppers I cannot eat uncooked.

But then I noticed a correlation between all things: Extreme Stress, sensitivity to many FODMAP foods, and extreme tension in my hips, knee issues (which I have recently been advised could be linked to constant and consistent bowel distress).

The extreme stress basically made all my symptoms so much worse and apparent. It only became obvious to me only last week.  (3 months after the stress incident) My stomach and gut distress calmed down within 2 days after starting with a low FODMAP protocol.  Hip pain is better too.

So I would start journaling what you are eating first, along with how and what you are feeling.  I'm not saying not to a AIP - I'm just saying just try to write down and observe what's going on with your body.  

Hi Leslie,

How are your stress levels right now?  Stress sometimes produces some interesting responses.  Do you notice a clear correlation to AIP foods and your symptoms?  

After living a whole 9 life for a good 2.5 years I have discovered that I have some pretty severe IBS issues that I have never noticed before.  I'm talking severe cramping, bloating, nose leaking, multiple trips to the bathroom.  I couldn't figure it out.  I wasn't eating gluten.  But I also wasn't feeling like this all the time.  I too was blaming nightshades, eggs, and nuts as I have 2 known AI skin conditions.  But they clear right up when I am doing a whole 30.  So doing an AIP didn't feel quite right.  Now I know I can't really overdo the AIP foods too much - at most I can have something with tomatoes twice a week, and peppers I cannot eat uncooked.

But then I noticed a correlation between all things: Extreme Stress, sensitivity to many FODMAP foods, and extreme tension in my hips, knee issues (which I have recently been advised could be linked to constant and consistent bowel distress).

The extreme stress basically made all my symptoms so much worse and apparent. It only became obvious to me only last week.  (3 months after the stress incident) My stomach and gut distress calmed down within 2 days after starting with a low FODMAP protocol.  Hip pain is better too.

So I would start journaling what you are eating first, along with how and what you are feeling.  I'm not saying not to a AIP - I'm just saying just try to write down and observe what's going on with your body.  

Thanks so much for your response!!

Other than eliminating EVERYTHING bad I used to eat, the only big difference that really stands out to me is a big increase in eggs. :)

I've been eating many new veggies. I love spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts. I've always enjoyed broccoli, asparagus, carrots, celery, and salads.

I don't think I have high stress. I am busy. My husband and I both  work from home and have two busy daughters. There are times I need to be in three places at the same time, but I just figure out what "thing" has to go and coordinate rides for the girls to be where they need to be. I don't stress about it. I can only do so much. HA! Life is good. It's even better on the whole30. I'm pretty happy. I have noticed that I had been a bit cranky a couple of times last week. Those cranky times used to be when I was hungry and had the emotional/physical symptoms to go with it. I had just been telling my husband that I don't get that "hangry" sensation on whole30. Which is WONDERFUL!

I printed out a list of the low FODMAPs, but I'm not having IBS symptoms at all (another benefit to whole30). This seems to be "allergy" related.

Hmmmmm

Archived