Meal #1 as a post workout meal?

I'm about to start on my third Whole30.  This time around I'm determined to both run in the morning and eat my breakfast while at home.  Right now I run after work and would love to switch to a morning runner.  My family would also appreciate eating dinner before 7pm!  A few things: I am not a morning person.  I generally wake up and am out the door within twenty minutes.  During my previous Whole30's I ate in the car on the way to work or once I was at work but this led to me not eating within the hour at times.  Lengthy background to my simple question: Can I have Meal1 be my post workout meal?  I'm mostly wondering about the fat as that's not part of the post-workout template.

I think this will depend on the intensity of your runs. I was half marathon training when I did my first Whole30 and I personally only worried about the pre and post workout food on my long run days when I got out earlier and ran a much larger volume. Sometimes on my speedwork/interval days I would get that post workout snack too. On my general run days I would just eat meal 1 and wait at least an hour to run and then usually have a mini meal after to tide me over to meal 2. What kind of schedule are you looking at and how much volume/intensity?

I'm wondering this same thing -- post-workout isn't supposed to have fat, but meals should? I usually have a pre-workout snack before I walk the dog and workout right after. So should there be fat in the meal or no?

The guideline for avoiding fat in the postWO meal is to allow the protein to be absorbed more quickly. However, (A.) the "window of opportunity" for protein synthesis is larger than is commonly depicted (although this point is not official W30 canon) and (B.) it's more a factor for weightlifting than it would be for cardio. IMO having M1 as your first food in the a.m. following the run is A-OK.

Archived