This is your brain on dates...

Elleon

So. Today is day 29. On day 27, the family and I were out running errands and my husband and I picked up a small container of dates... the four of us split them. It was a few hours after a balanced lunch.

At the time, I didn't think much of it. We've been coasting along, made it through the extinction burst. Ate the dates while we drove and was pretty happy about not feeling like I needed to hoover them. And they were so sweet! My taste buds have gotten pretty sharp.

BUT. That night, super cranky. All day yesterday, foggy and crabby and craving carbs and sweets. I ended up having a bunch of acorn squash with dinner which in retrospect was just feeding the beast.

Now today, a little better but still cravings... how long will this last?? I have managed to stay on plan but have overdone it with the sweet potatoes today. And I'm kind of concerned that I'm two days off day 31 and will derail all of this hard work to ditch the carbs and sugars.

Elleon -

Dates are sugar bombs. Like crazy sugar. More than your body has been used to for a month! We hear all kinds of stories about what happens to folks at their first "indulgence", and this sounds pretty similar. My guess is that the cravings will pass after another day or so of clean eating. When you do indulge post W30, just take this knowledge with you and make sure that it's really, really worth it.

I know it's been said a zillion times on here, but it's shocking to me what a little bit of sugar can do. Protein has been really hitting the spot, but I still sort of feel like a sugar-craving-zombie (thankfully one with control on intake, yikes!).

Wow that is a tough lesson to learn. Hope you recover soon.

FYI - If you ever want to indulge that sweet tooth with a smaller amount that is less likely to cause such damage, you can get individual dates or even a coconut date roll (so yummy and one eaten slowly post Whole30 is a treat I plan to enjoy every now and then), in the bulk foods section at Whole Foods. I have to do the same with pistachios and macadamia nuts and only allow myself a very small portion per purchase. And yes I know it's possible to make a batch of coconut date rolls at home, but that would be far too dangerous for me... :)

Archived