Day 1 = 4 March... anyone else?

FrauleinMichelle

Just wanted to say hello! I will be starting tomorrow (hitting the market on the way home, with list in-hand) and if anyone wants a long-distance absolute stranger as a partner: here I am! ;)

I've done vegan on/off for 12 years or so, anywhere from a few weeks to a few years in duration. I usually ended up adding seafood in at some point because I was not very good about non-animal protein. I think that vegan is probably going to be easier than this... no bread! No pasta! No oreos?! (Yes, a surprising "vegan" food-- that's how fake they are!)

I've been working out for months now, and I've always been on/off with that as well-- based on my current social life, relationship, work life, etc. Since I'm living the solo life, it's pretty easy to find time and motivation to go the gym. I mean, in SoCal, who DOESN'T work out? Also, it will be hard to turn down drinks with friends-- that's an integral part of life here. So, we'll see how that goes. I'm excited to see how this helps my fitness results-- should be good stuff.

Good luck!

Michelle

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoop whoop, I join you in this adventure, starting with the wonderfully random date March 4th!

I'm also coming from a vegan background but will be adding eggs (and maybe some fish?), so that's a thing we have in common. :)

Good luck to you, too! Let's rock this and have fun with it.

Hello!  I started March 1 as well...doing ok but, whew, missing afternoon Diet Cokes and a glass of wine at night.  I have yet to experience the awesome sleep at night that has been mentioned in the Whole30 info...hoping that happens tonight!  Good luck to everyone!

I'm here for you!  I'll take all I can get in return.  This is my Day 1...I've never done this before.  I don't anticipate it being easy for me.  I went out last night and had a few too many as a last day celebration before I started this.  Let's stay in touch.  All the best.

Well it's 9:00 in Nashville so I'm going to go out on a limb and write that I believe I survived Day 1. I hope all of you did the same. If you subscribed to the daily email and click on the link at the end acknowledging that you made it through the first day, the video is pretty good.

I believe I need to learn more about eating out Whole30 because doing this solo might get a bit old.

DavidJohnson-- the video was great, huh? I almost forgot that we needed to click that link at the end of each day. I think I just squeaked in!

How was everyone's day one? Mine was great-- but I think I've put myself through much worse, so that wasn't as bad. Today is breezey too-- but I'm concerned for this weekend. I just got a call from my relatives in Florida, that I haven't seen in ohhh, I dunno, a decade-- and surprise! They're in SoCal! And they want me to take them to a bunch of craft breweries this weekend.

Seeing them = :D

and not having any drinks = :mellow: 

and needing to explain it to them as they drink = :(

It's alright, I will be juuust fine.

My sleep wasn't great on night #1, anna360-- how did you fare?

Peebles, were you strict vegan? A yo-yo vegan like me? I liked it, I felt GREAT on it, but my hair seemed to suffer from the lack of protein.

maj1015, how did you do?

Hello first weekers! I started today...ok truth be told, I started over today after caving on day 14. This is my second time around...I felt so good after the first time I am not sure why I didn't keep it up. I am flying solo as well but have worked out many of the kinks of both cooking and eating out. Stay strong all!

Hello Fellow Whole30ers!

I started on the 4th right along with you and certainly enjoyed my healthy "hangover" today!  ...Ya, maybe not.  But at least I know it's working right??

Anyway, I'd love to join you all side by side and we can celebrate milestones and support each other through the tough days.

I look forward to experiencing this journey with you!

---Courtney

Peebles, were you strict vegan? A yo-yo vegan like me? I liked it, I felt GREAT on it, but my hair seemed to suffer from the lack of protein.

I've been a strict vegan for, phewww... 12 years or so? For me it's for ethical reasons, so I hope that I can go back to that and make a healthy vegan way of eating work for me in the end. For the time being, I'm compromising to see if it helps with some health issues to include some animal protein (and even if so, I guess I'll try afterwards to adapt whatever the "winning factor" is into vegan, if possible.) :)

The problem(s) may just be related to my crappy diet in general (vs. whole). I've been a skinny stick for my whole life and always ate tons of garbage (literally bags of candy etc. every day, especially at work...). Maybe that's the "advantage" if someone tends to gain weight easily --> pure vanity acting as a motivation to live healthier... ^^

Hope you're all doing fine! I for my part am just reaaaally looking forward to the weekend to finally get some Whole30/Whole9 appropriate sleep... ;)

xx

Welcome, courtielouise16! I had a mimosa craving yesterday night and then today I did not want to get out of bed. But I did! 5:45 spin and 6:45 tempo weight training. whatWHAT?! How'd you do?

Peebles, I know what you mean with trying to find the winning protein option. For me, it is DEFINITELY not chicken-- and even eggs are low on the list. I started as a ethical vegan (we had a PETA rep come talk to my junior class in 2001-- wow, so I've been back and forth with this for a while. My longest relationship to date!) and I just couldn't stomach the idea of animal products. Three years later, I was at a friends house and they said that they were making BBQ chicken and I said, "oh, that does sound good. Make me one, please." Definitely one of those ????? moments-- especially since chicken is my least favorite protein source. But I felt awesome when I was vegan-- I just don't think I looked my best. I think my more muscular build requires more protein than I was getting. (Well yeah, now that I type it out, it seems like a DUH statement.)

ANY WAY... hey friends, at the end of today you're 10% through! WOOHOO! If you can do it once, you can do it 9 more times, right? :D

Have a great day!

Michelle

It wasn't hardly as bad as I thought it was going to be when I woke up! The headache passed pretty rapidly and today I'm doing just fine physical wise. Those darn cravings though! Since when did I ever want a Thai Tea so badly?? Other than that I just keep on trying to detract my mind from them and it's working pretty well so far! I made some paleo tomato basil soup for lunch today and was pretty impressed how it turned out! Just experimenting day-to-day is what keeps me excited to stay on the plan at the moment! Tomorrow lettuce wrapped fajitas!

How's everyone else's Friday going?

---Courtney

Wow, I thought I was out of the gates in sharing but you all are gettin' after it.  Welcome cl16 and jambarri to the team.  Sorry about what happened to you the 1st time around jambarri but we'll do all we can to help you through this time.  Do we all get a tee-shirt!?  Can we at least skype on Day 31 and toast with the beverage of our choice?

Sorry Michelle about your long lost family from the right coast finding you on the left coast.  Leave it to family to test you regardless of the years of absence.

We have the weekend ahead of us.  I suspect it will be the hardest days for me so far.  I wish everyone the best...we've got this!  We're no longer on the Whole30 program...we're down to Whole 27 and counting.

Take care and cheers in 27 more days.

Hi!!  May I join you all? First time trying this Whole30.  I started today, March 6th.  So far so good.  I saw lots of great looking meal ideas on Pinterest tonight, I think I was eating too little today, I find it hard to know HOW much we should have a t each meal, I'm more of a measuring cup / scale kinda gal... anywhooooo.... looks like we are all on our way something good, if you'll have me?

Goodnight and here is hoping I will have that magical sleep???? maybe???

Hi Michelle, I'm starting my first Whole30 on Tuesday, March 10th, so I won't be too far behind you! I'd love to have someone to chat with from afar (I'm in Philadelphia). The Whole30 isn't too far off from my regular way of eating, however I have a tendency to slack and want to do things like grab chips & guac & a hard cider out with friends once in a while, or something like that. And I love tacos: which I'll just switch up with greens as the "tortilla" instead. I have a few food allergies so while I used to be vegan, I am now pescatarian & gluten-free {also allergic to soy & certain nuts/seeds}, so my version of the Whole30 will be following vegetarian with some added fish and no tempeh/etc. I am also a professional baker {though I've been out injured for a while so my body has seen a lack of exercise} so at work I was always around sweets, and love the challenge of baking "healthily" though I won't be doing any substitute baking for myself during this time as it's not allowed.  Hope you're doing well and congrats on getting started!

Bad news for me Whole30ers...

Yesterday I sat down and enjoyed 2 links of turkey sausage for lunch only to later realize that dextrose is sugar in disguise! How could I be so naïve?? I'm extremely disappointed in myself for not reading the ingredients until I had full clarity in exactly what I was putting in my body. 

According to every article about what I should do in this case it tells me to start over.  Every bit of sugar matters. I was only on day 3 anyway and I want to do this 100%, and WHole30 leaves no room for error anyway.

My better judgment would be that I start over here and now but I'm afraid I would be setting myself up for failure that way.  So in order to give myself the best change though I will wait until after Easter and my Sister's birthday which will now be a part of my WHole30 journey if I started now. Those days would be tough for me to get past and it would be best to avoid them altogether. My new start date is aimed for April 7th, right after Easter.

Does that sound logical or does that sound like I'm making excuses and should endure the Whole30 day 30 on Easter anyway and start today?

---Courtney

Good morning all. I hope everyone made it through our first weekend night unscathed. I have to admit that it wasn't easy for me -- I was craving a drink but managed to hold off. Still safe as I begin Whole 27!

Welcome wholefoodmama (wfm) and allinightowl (ano). It's great our group keeps growing. How can we fail with all this energy and motivation?. It seems as if I'm the only one from the opposite sex in this group so all you lovlies, please convince your boyfriend, husband, or ... to jump in and help with some balance.

Here's to an EASY day today for you -- hang in there...we've got this! There are two pains in this world. The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Let's tackle the 1st one and never touch the 2nd one.

Hello all. I also began my W30 on March 4th. I'm finally getting around to posting but I've been reading many of your posts and have found them quite helpful and even inspirational, so thanks for that.

Day 6 now and I'm quite impressed with myself for not breaking the rules once. You see I love dairy...cheese most especially...and carbs and dark chocolate and red wine. The W30 way of eating is a dramatic change for me.

But body has recently changed in a quite undesirable way. I quit smoking for good almost a year ago and have found that my years of smoking damaged my metabolism. No longer am I that person who can eat unlimited quantities of any food and still be thin. Calorie counting did not work well for me. I found myself to be an ugly person when hungry, which was all the time when I tried to impose quantity restrictions. And I just keep gaining.

The truth is that I've not been a healthy eater for most of my life and I don't want to pass my bad habits along to my kids anymore.

Goals: stop gaining weight, lose weight, cook more healthy meals, correct my amenorrhea, get rid of my life long acne, and increase my energy. I hope I'm not asking too much!

Thanks for all the support!

Hello!  I started Whole 30 and just discovered the forums.  Your posts have been so inspirational,  it would be a pleasure to join the group on this journey.  

I am hoping that the W30 will help recharge my metabolism, imbue me with healthy eating habits, and help me to lose the weight that I can for health reasons and come to accept that I may never be that size 4 again (and that's okay!).

So far, I am feeling great, my mood is good and I am loving the food.  Only problem that I am having is that I ran out of eggs and cashews last night..and the roads between me and the grocery store are covered in snow!  (Yes, I am on the east coast -- but originally from southern California). 

I look forward to supporting you through the next few weeks of trials and tribulations of changing habits for long-time change.  And, look forward to assistance as I try to stay true to W30 (why did I decide to start this during NCAA "March Madness?")

Enjoy the day!  And, please share your favorite recipes.  So far, my breakfast have always included monkey salad (cashews, coconut flakes and a banana).

And the team just keeps getting bigger.

CL16 -- I have to admire your honesty on such a minor infraction. Way to remain true though. Does it sound like you're making excuses? No one can answer that but you. You're the best person to tell yourself when it's best for you to embark on this journey. I'm starting Day 5 tomorrow and truly think this could go down as one of the hardest things I've done. Restart when it's best for you and your odds are the greatest. Good luck -- stay in touch!

Welcome MellowMama -- congrats on the journey you've taken over the past year and to be where you are now. I'm reading a book now called Entrepreneurial Rollercoaster by Darren Hardy. It's talks about four directions of passion and one of them is 'who'. Your passion is coming from who you want to be an example for. That's great. I have three children and they're the center of my life. Last sentence...you're not asking for too much. From what I read, these next 30 days will accomplish all of that for you and give you a great foundation for the months and years ahead.

Zana -- welcome and I'm with you. I'm a huge sports fan and had to go to the Predators hockey game tonight and watch everyone have fun. March Madness will be a test as will St. Paddie's Day for the Catholic that I am. We can do it though!

Stay strong, sleep well everyone, feel good about what we've done...I do. See you soon.

Archived