Mamatutu does W30

Mamatutu

So I'm a bit late getting this started as today is my day 5/30 but I only discovered this forum yesterday.  I keep a photo diary on TwoGrand (same name Mamatutu) so my last few days meals are posted there and very pretty they look too ;)

I did a grocery shop last Friday then spent the evening prepping.  I roasted 2 chickens, made 6 scotch eggs (pork mince, onion, egg and seasoning wrapped around boiled egg and oven baked until golden brown) and I also made a lamb and vegetable layer bake a bit like a Moussaka or Lasagne without the white cheesy sauce.  Once the chickens were cooled I stripped the meat and then put a bone broth on to simmer.  I chopped cucumber, celery, carrot and bell peppers and made a tomato and chilli salsa... and then realised I had no room left in my tiny fridge!  On Saturday morning I made myself a batch of mayo and I now honestly think I will never ever buy mayo ever again!!!!!

Day One: 28/2/15

M1= one scotch egg with chilli salsa and carrot and cucumber sticks.

M2= A slice of the lamb layer bake with a bistro salad and chilli salsa

M3= A cup of chicken broth as I was feeling a bit sick and headachy.

Day Two: 1/3/15

M1= Bubble and Squeak which is probably a British thing now I think about it... so I pan fried (in a bit of lard/pork fat)the roasted veggies I had made last night but didn't eat and added in some cabbage and spinach for greenery.  The veggies were sweet potato, carrot, onion, peppers and parsnips.  I topped it with a little of the chicken broth and some shredded chicken meat.

M2= Smoked mackerel and egg mayo lettuce wraps with carrot, celery, green pepper and cucumber sticks (Yummy!!)

M3= Didn't happen. It got too late, I was still feeling a bit wobbly and I just was not hungry.

Day Three: 2/3/15

M1= Scotch egg with chilli salsa and Avomayo.  I think I might be slightly in love with Avomayo and I can see it gracing many plates in my future!

M2= A portion of the lamb layer bake.  I had some veggies to go with it but was eating on the hoof at work and barely had time to eat the bake so the veggies stayed in the fridge.

M3= Pancetta and chicken frittata with mushrooms and peppers. Bistro salad with carrot and cucumber and black olives and a few steamed green beans.

Day Four: 3/3/15

M1= Left over frittata that I couldn't finish last night with a serving of green beans.

M2= Chicken broth with added shredded chicken, broccoli and cabbage and yesterdays roasted veg chucked in for good measure.

M3= Thai red curry with chicken, red peppers, red onions and mushrooms served on courgette/zucchini noodles.

I have this underlying niggle that I'm not doing this right and that somewhere I have inadvertently disregarded the W30 guidelines but when I drill down what is in my meals, which are all cooked from scratch (which is usual in my household as we NEVER eat out ever) I can honestly say everything a food in its purest form. 

Hello from a fellow UK poster! We visited Abergavenny last year on our way to Brecon. Such a lovely area. I loved walking along the canal paths. 

Your food sounds delicious. Is avomayo exactly what it sounds like?

Hello (waves) :)

Thank you, I'm enjoying my food very much and will try and post some pix later if I get time to move them from my phone to my pc. 

I made my own mayo and then put a couple of spoonfuls in to a mashed avocado... avomayo.  When left overnight it kind of thickens up so it would make a good spreading paste on burgers or lettuce wraps too I reckon.

This sure is a beautiful part of the world, and I used to live along side that canal, it can be very busy in the summer but still a great place to live.

I hear ya on the homemade mayo. It's so easy and delicious, also given what I now know I think I'd rather go without than use store-bought stuff.

Good idea to add avocado, although I can imagine for me that would increase the likelihood of eating it straight out of the jar by a factor of 10!

I hear ya on the homemade mayo. It's so easy and delicious, also given what I now know I think I'd rather go without than use store-bought stuff.

Good idea to add avocado, although I can imagine for me that would increase the likelihood of eating it straight out of the jar by a factor of 10!

You are not wrong there... it's potentially addictive stuff!

Yummy yummy yummy... Just prepared a batch of mayo with tarragon vinegar, oh my... Finger licking good! You mention worrying about having disregarded whole30 guidelines. Just review the template, and see how your meals resemble the recommended portions for protein, veggies, and fat per meal. Some breakfast seem to me a little low on proteins, just saying :)

Day Five:  4/3/15

M1= Scotch egg with avomayo salsa

M2= Smoked mackerel lettuce wraps with mayo and carrot, cucumber and celery sticks

M3= Apple slices dunked in almond butter (munchies while I cooked dinner as home late from work)

M4= Pork chop, roasted apples and sweet potato, green beans.

Still loving this! Bought some almond butter today and then couldn't resist dunking some apple in. nom nom!!

Day Six:  5/3/15

M1= homemade liver and bacon pate with onions and garlic, cucumber boats, celery sticks and an apple.

M2= Chicken salad with home made mayo, avocado, tomato, spinach, carrot, peppers and cucumber.

M3= a few pieces of chicken.  Had a major argument with my partner and felt really low and my appetite vanished as a result.

Didn't drink enough either and woke on day 7 (today) with a thumping headache. 

Today I realised that I don't feel 'anything'... now this is a good thing as I don't feel bloated, I don't feel puffy, I don't feel light headed, I don't feel tired, I don't feel achy, I haven't sneezed in days and seasonal allergies kick in big time for me now, I've lost that yucky sticky feeling in my mouth (think that's what dairy does for me) and I just feel a bit more like my old self again.  Today I tried on a pair of jeans that didn't even want to close over my belly last week and they just zipped up today and I'm sat here wearing them and feeling quite comfortable. 

Day Seven: 6/3/15

M1= Liver and Bacon pate with apple, celery and cucumber

M2= Chicken and avocado salad

M3= was supposed to be a meal in a pub where we went for a gig but you know when you walk in to a place and no one is eating and you can't smell food cooking??.... yeah we kinda didn't want to chance it.  Had a great night listening to a brilliant acoustic set from a talent musician, drinking sparkling mineral water but I'm still waiting to feel hungry again.

Day Eight:  7/3/15

M1= Liver pate with kiwi, apple and cucumber.  Liver and kiwi was a surprising combo that totally works for me!

M2=  By the time we drove back up from Devon to Wales, did a food shop, picked up the dog, picked up my partner's kids and got home it was 4pm so M2 didn't happen.  Needed to make space in the fridge when I prepped all this weeks veg etc so snacked on the last of the cooked chicken.

M3= Home made burger patties with guacamole and a mahoosive salad.  Probably ate too much but there again I probably needed a little more than normal after missing far too many meals this week.  Sat here typing this an hour later and I don't feel stuffed or bloated so I don't think all that spinach and lettuce did too much damage ;)

After the initial extra cost of a few select items required for my store cupboard (coconut oil, cider videgar etc) this weeks food shop came in at more or less the same cost as normal, but there again I'm not buying anything vastly different to normal.  I decided not to buy crisps/chips or cookies for the kids this week.  My daughter is following a fairly Paleo lifestyle anyway and my son lives on macaroni cheese and ham with a variety of veg chucked in (home made by me so not so very terrible but an absolute pain for me to make all the time) while my partner just eats what I eat and is happy with whatever he gets it seems.  Like I said before, this isn't a huge sea change for any of us except I'm not using so much cheese any more and I'm not having wine or chocolate (and don't want to kill anyone!!!)

Day nine:  8/3/15

M1= AB&J Burgers made with frozen Black Forest Fruits (wont do that again as the blackcurrant was too overpowering) and a side of left over guacamole.

M2= Chicken bone broth with added ginger, parsnip, carrot and kale. OMG soooo good!

M3= Thai green chicken curry with green beans and peppers on a bed of courgette noodles. (home made Thai curry sauce as finally got lemongrass in Aldi!)

Day Ten: 9/3/15

M1=  Liver pate with apple, kiwi, cucumber and celery.

M2= Chicken broth with ginger, carrot, parsnip and kale over shredded chicken meat

M3= Basa fillet, kale, green beans and potato roasted in coconut oil covered with Franks hot sauce.

Day ten already! I'm a third of the way through and I LOVE this!!!!  I'm not hungry, I'm sleeping so well and waking early feeling refreshed and raring to go, I've got loads more concentration in work and my mood is so even! I started my TOTM today and didn't even realise it was due as I had no skin breakout, breast tenderness or a day of cramps all day yesterday.  Had mild cramps today but didn't even feel the need to take pain relief as I would usually.  I wouldn't say i have tiger blood as such but I do feel really positive.

Day Eleven:  10/3/15

M1=  avocado, tomato, scallion, cucumber, carrot and burger patties/sliders

M2= lamb layer bake, cucumber, carrot, celery black olive and mayo

M3= chicken and ham lettuce wrap with mayo and celery and carrot.

Day Twelve: 11/3/15

M1= Liver pate, 1 apple, half a cucumber

M2= Chicken, lettuce, carrot, celery, cucumber, red and green pepper, avocado and mayo

M3= Chicken bone broth with sweet potato and kale

I had a little clothes trying on exercise this evening as I was desperate to jump on the scales and needed to divert my attention.  I am thrilled that my UK size 14 fit me really nicely for the first time in a year as my size 16s were really tight only 3 weeks ago.  I am definitely feeling much less bloated and my digestive troubles are much reduced today (in fact almost disappeared).  I am really tired though so will have an early night and get some real quality sleep because other than that I'm feeling amazing.

Could you post your liver pâté recipe?

Sure. 

I fried off an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in olive oil until well softened, added in 6 rashers of chopped streaky bacon and cooked until crispy. 

Then I added some chopped pork liver ( you can use any type and I prefer beef but the store didn't have any left) and cooked it was until well softened. I used 2 packs of liver but I'm not exactly sure of the weight sorry but maybe 500-600g?

Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then blitz with a stick blender until all the liver is pureed. I season at this point because you never quite know how salty the bacon will make it, I also was quite generous with ground black pepper and also added some thyme. 

Top with some melted ghee which forms a seal but also adds a little something to it too.

It keeps for about a week and made me 5 meals in the end. 

Vikki :)

I've always liked it but was raised by my grandmother and grew up eating 'old fashioned' food.  She used to make liver and bacon in a gravy that was quite heavy on the vinegar.  I've never been able to recreate it in quite the same way.

Day Thirteen:  12/3/15

M1= Scotch egg with avocado, tomato, cucumber and scallion

M2= Lamb and vegetable layer bake

M3= Roasted vegetables with lamb chops

Day Fourteen:  13/3/15

M1= Crustless quiche made with eggs, coconut milk, ham and tomato

M2= Roast chicken and leftover roast vegetables

M3= undecided as I'm off food shopping after work and Friday is food prep night!

NB Dinner was the last of the chicken broth with kale and shredded chicken and some roasted swede

Day Fifteen:  14/3/15 HALF WAY DAY!!

M1= crustless quiche with avocado and tomato, a cup of bone broth

M2= Chicken lettuce wraps with coleslaw

M3= AB&J burgers. with slaw and salad

I woke up feeling great today and even better I felt hungry! I can't remember the last time I felt hungry in the morning.  Spent the morning prepping food so I'm good to go for another week.  My routine is starting to take shape nicely and I can see this being so easy to keep going.  I'm now contemplating a whole90 as that will take me up to my holidays in Tenerife in June.

Yay for half way day!!

What was your "J" this time for the burgers?

I always think I would happily keep going if only compliant foods were available when shopping, eating out etc. It's the constant checking of "is there added sugar in this" that would stop me from going longer than 30 days.

Hiya! I'm going to get some strawberries in a bit and sod the fact they are out of season. 

I'm with you on the the OCD label checking but I don't actually buy that much food with extra ingredients.  It's more the store cupboard stuff but once it's there you've got it for a few weeks.  I never eat out so that isn't an issue for me luckily.  At the end of the 90 I'm off to Tenerife for 10 days so I expect there will be some indulgences once I'm there as it's all inclusive!

Day Sixteen:  15/3/15

M1 = Scotch egg with carrot, pepper, may, kiwi and apple

M2= Tom Yung Goong (chicken bone broth, coconut milk, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chilli, kale, carrot, pepper, chicken, anchovies)

M3= Salmon, potato, broccoli, green beans

Day Seventeen: 16/3/15

M1 = Crustless Quiche with ham and tomato

M2=  Tuna, avo, tomato, olives and slaw, 1 pear

M3= Bacon frittata with potato and mushroom, banana with almond butter

Day eighteen:  17/3/15

M1= Scotch egg and a banana

M2= Left over frittata, banana, bone broth

M3= Shepherds pie with green beans and broccoli

Just not feeling it today, couldn't be bothered to prep food so I know I haven't had enough veggies but will try and make up for that tonight.

Day Nineteen:  18/3/15

M1= Liver pate with cucumber, apple and kiwi

M2= Sardines, slaw, lettuce, tomato and olives

M3= Pan fried chicken, kale, cabbage, jacket potato with ghee

Day Twenty:  19/3/15

M1= scrambled egg and a mango and coconut milk smoothie.  Should have had more veg but just wasn't in the mood

M2= Liver pate with cucumber, apple and kiwi. Too much fruit today but I'm in my day 20 malaise I think and anything that gets me through while being compliant is a good thing.

M3= Lamb layer bake (it's stuffed full of veggies so probably won't put any extra with it)

Day 20! A third of the way through.  Tired with so much prepping and thinking now but not enough to want to cave in.  Would be nice to grab and go once in a while though.  Have a yearning for a proper cup of tea again today, not a craving as such but it would be nice to have a proper cuppa.

Archived