Starting Sept. 1 Whole 30 -- buddies?

maggief

Hi everyone! I'm Maggie and I'm starting the Whole 30 on Sept. 1. I'm feeling nervous/excited... I think I once heard someone refer to this feeling as "frexcited" (frightened/excited), which is what I'll go with :)

Anyway, I just wanted to do a little callout to see who else is going to start this Saturday and if anyone else is planning to do it alone.

A little about me: I'm 29, I live in D.C., and have been eating Paleo since Oct. 2011. I love it and haven't felt this good in a long time, though I'm still struggling with weight and hormonal issues. I've gotten a bit lax with treats this summer -- sugar and dairy, specifically -- and I would like to get those cravings back in control. I also want to get better at meal-planning, specifically around training (I do weightlifting, running, yoga or some other activity most days of the week).

Really looking forward to getting to know all of you and hear about your goals! Good luck, everyone!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Maggie! I'm starting Sep 1st as well, so we can do this together : ) I'm in a similar situation where I've been following the paleo diet for about a year, but have been making the paleo treats too often. I'm also trying to clear the acne that's flared up in the last two months. I'm so excited to be doing the Whole 30!

Hi, I'm Tori. I'm eating this way already just not super duper strict here and there. Just had all of my wisdom teeth out so it's been difficult to focus on starting the Whole30 in a serious manner.

Anyway, I plan to really start on September 1st. I'd like to be buddies! My downfalls are cheese and I eat at my in-law's for family dinner every Sunday night (very American style food). I'll have to start bringing my own meals, which I am not sure how to handle. My husband's mom goes on "diets" so I'm considering passing this off as a weight loss diet so they'll not try to give me a hard time about eating something different.

Good luck to you guys!

I started Monday...weekends will be the toughest part for me because I have tons of weekend triggers and I had to go in to the first one with some momentum.

I have been paleo-ish for a few years now and always happiest when following closely but summer burns hot and fast here and the parties got to be a bit too much. I remember now why I love eating this way and I really don't miss much right now. The first beer-free weekend and wine-free book club will be big tests!

Good luck.

Hi! My husband and I are starting Sept. 1 also! This will be our first W30. We went Paleo in June but slacked off mid-July due to vacations and birthdays, and then totally fell off the wagon at the beginning of this month. I'm looking forward to getting back on track!

My biggest triggers are cheese and chocolate. Confession - I ate a dark chocolate bar that was in my desk at work today because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat it next week and I didn't want to "waste" it.

That kind of thinking is exactly why I need Whole30.

I started Monday...weekends will be the toughest part for me because I have tons of weekend triggers and I had to go in to the first one with some momentum.

I have been paleo-ish for a few years now and always happiest when following closely but summer burns hot and fast here and the parties got to be a bit too much. I remember now why I love eating this way and I really don't miss much right now. The first beer-free weekend and wine-free book club will be big tests!

Good luck.

Hi everyone . I am starting the whole 30 on the 3rd as this is the day I go back to work . I have only been paleo for a couple of month but I have health issues which prompted me to look at nutrition . My main worry is alcohol . Hubby and I prob drink too much . I have got rid of all my other cravings and am already dairy free grain free caffine free etc . I think I will crash first few days but I'm ready for it x

Hi everyone! I'm also going to start September 1st. Had a couple false starts, and a decent start with a slip-up. Sugar is REALLY hard for me - I am 100% addicted to it, and even fruit triggers awful awful cravings for me, so I think that's one thing I need to kick to the curb for good. I am also just really used to snacking or having coffee when I feel brain-foggy or tired during the day at work, so I imagine that will be tough as well. I'm excited to get started and help each other out though!

09/01/2012! I am starting, too. I have done Paleo rather strictly for 3 mo (lost 49 lbs). The month of August has been an off month for me. I am ashamed to admit that I have a serious artificial sweetner addiction. I am eager to be rid of it. Diet Coke goes against everything I do passionately believe. Good luck team, we've got this ;-)

hello everyone,

i'm starting in september 1 as well. i slipped up hard on my august w30 and just needed a to reset myself to get back to it. the changes i saw in august were great but i think i need to follow-up on boards more often just to keep everything fresh in my head.

i too have a major sugar addiction and face the same problems with fruit being a trigger. i'm going to try and limit my fruit to two pieces to tame the sugar dragon.

Hi all! I'm Olivia and I too am starting tomorrow, September 1st. I have never eaten Paleo, although I have been GF for 3 years but have also been dealing with tons of inflammatory issues (like forever) Asthma, IBS-C, Eczema, acne, weight creep, numerous food allergies/intolerance's to name a few. After reading up on ways to try and improve my health with out pharmaceutical intervention.

I am going to start the Whole 30 on Sept 1 as well. I've been eating Paleo for several months, but since I moved and had a job change, I've been less strict about it. I've been experiencing some issues that stopped when I began eating Paleo, like acne and GI upset, so I'm hopeful to start feeling better!

I will be starting over in September. I started August 6th with my first time doing the Whole30, got 15 days in and then I had 3 cookouts/birthday parties in a row and completely got off track. I've been sticking really close to paleo, but not 100%. But I am all set and ready to restart on September 2nd. I'm not restarting tomorrow because I know that I won't be able to succeed - it's my "surprise" bridal shower. Haha! Good luck everyone and we can all do this! :)

Hi everyone!! I'm IN!!! Starting Sept 1!!!

I'm 28 from Montreal Canada. This will be my first Whole 30. I've been thinking about it since August. I want this to be a new start for eating healthy, not caving into binges and figuring a way for this to work as a lifestyle. Also, I'd like to lose about 15 lbs (this used to be 10 until the summer happened and I gained 5 lbs) and this is a good way to start.

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Hey all! I'm 50 years old, and I've been eating paleo for 4 mos now. I'm off of my blood pressure meds, diabetes meds (my doctor was wanting to put me on insulin), and stomach meds. My energy level is fantastic, and my skin and hair have changed for the better. This 30 days, I'm eliminating eggs, nightshades, and nuts, so that I'll know definitively how my body responds to them after a reintroduction at the end. I originally took the 30 day challenge to disprove it. Man was I ever surprised! You can do anything for 30 days, and I promise you won't be disappointed when you do.

My name is Tamy, and I will also be starting on Sept 1 (tomorrow). I live in NH, I'm a mom of two boys, a 6th grade teacher and am working towards a Master's in nutrition. I'm also a "recovering marathoner", and am feeling so liberated by finally kicking the chronic cardio to the curb!. I thought the start of a school year would be a good time to start a Whole30. I have been eating a fairly strict primal diet for close to a year now and have seen miraculous results. My environmental allergies that I've lived in misery with for over 20 years have completely vanished, as well as the problem skin I've been plagued with for the past 15+ years. People have literally told me that I'm glowing! For me, this will be fine-tuning by cutting out dairy (ice cream is my vice) and the occasional glass of wine. Melissa and Dallas have assured me that I won't die without the cream in my morning coffee! Looking forward to taking this plunge with the rest of you! I'm also looking forward to reading "It Starts with Food" this month to help keep me motivated!

First time posting here. I'm starting my whole30 tomorrow as well, and feeling excited and nervous. I haven't ever eaten strict paleo, although I've been moving in a more paleo-ish direction over the last couple of years, starting with beginning to eat meat (I grew up vegetarian) and slowly moving away from grains and dairy. Sugar and fruit are extremely tempting to me, and when I try to give them up or even eat less, I tend to have extremely intense craving and a lot of fogginess and irritability. My biggest concerns are that I won't have enough easy, yummy things to eat. I need to spend some time looking at recipes today and doing some meal planning so that I'm not looking to raid the kitchen for any quick calories when I'm tired and hungry.

Yay I'm so happy to hear from everyone, it's a great relief to not feel like I'm going into this all alone. It looks like we have an awesome Sept group, good luck to all of you :-)

ShellBelle, I totally feel you on the acne! Going paleo helped a bit (more than antibiotics and rx creams ever did) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next 30 days will help get it even more under control. I figure it'll improve with time if we keep making the right choices. At least I hope so!

Tori, I think taking food to family gatherings is a great idea! Do you think your in-laws would be open to a potluck style dinner? That way you could even share your delicious, healthy recipes. Is your hubby doing the Whole30 with you? If so, that'll be even more support. Just don't feel like you need to justify your choices to anyone. Definitely let us know how this Sunday's family dinner goes! Do you know what you'll be bringing?

Aliking99 -- Congrats on getting through your first 5 days! How has it been so far?

MacSkillz -- Have a very happy bridal shower tomorrow! Congrats :)

DallasRoad, meal-planning (and snack-planning) is key! I knew I'd be running into the same problem, so I just spent the last couple of hours doing a big cookup. So far I've I made a chili, a coconut chicken curry, grassfed beef sliders, roasted beets, sauteed swiss chard/spinach/mizuna, sauteed onions and peppers, and roasted figs. Next on my list is a batch of paleo mayo that I can mix up with tuna or salmon for lunch. Fingers crossed that I don't totally mess it up lol! Did you find some recipes you want to try out?

Good luck to all of you! Can't wait to hear how Day 1 goes. Is anyone planning to log meals, moods, etc. here on the forum? I'll be on the lookout.

Hi everyone. I'm starting September 1 as well. Happy to be part of this group! I decided to try Whole30 when I read up about it on someone's blog. I cut dairy from my diet about two years, so that shouldn't be a problem for me. For the most part, I eat healthily during the day then pig out at night. I'm hoping W30 will help re-start my system and get rid my ridiculous evening cravings.

I'd like to lose my stubborn last ten pounds; although I'd be happy with measurement changes and a flat belly at this point. I have built muscle with heavy personal training sessions and I don't want to lose what I've built.

Having said that, what's everyone eating tomorrow? I have to rifle through the recipes, but I did come across a picture on the W30 Facebook wall of three poached eggs, sliced tomatoes, and spinach (I believe it was spinach).

Good luck everyone! Feel free to follow my progress on my blog (blog link in signature below). :D

September 1st is Day 1 for me! I'm excited about this new beginning and apprehensive about my ability to do it! It's definitely going to be a challenge! I am 55 years young and have celiac so this is the perfect eating plan for me in so many ways! Just a few hours more til a fresh start!

Archived